PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Noodle do let us know whether freezing the scone dough works.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    JackieO - what's a PKP cooker? Is that the Pressure King Pressure Cooker?

Denise
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Noodle99 wrote: »
    I made some scones last week, baking half and putting the other half in the freezer (as dough all cut and ready to bake if you see what I mean) and will try baking them today. Works for rock cake mixture so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    bouicca21 wrote: »

Scone dough freezes well and the good thing is you can just pop one or two scones in the oven when you have it on for something else. Always handy if you have unexpected visitors who will think you're a kitchen goddess for providing home-made at short notice. ;)

A fair few bits and bobs used up over the last week - mint sauce, tartare sauce, ketchup (I have replacements in my pantry "shop"), the last flapjack, some ice cream with sweet waffles, crumpets and, best of all, have finally finished the huge tub of not-so-nice gravy granules. :j Not one of my better buys as it's taken almost 12 months to use it up, so it definitely won't be replaced! :D

This week's meals are all courtesy of the fridge, freezer and cupboards so I have nothing to buy until the weekend. That means I've achieved my goal of stretching 4 weeks' cash over 5 weeks and still have some money left in my purse. :) I'm thinking I could perhaps reduce my weekly grocery budget overall but tbh it's been more fun doing it this way so for April I'm trying 3 weeks cash over 4 weeks. Could be some interesting meals being served up. :cool:
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • bouicca21 wrote: »

bouicca21, I have frozen Stilton & bacon scone dough successfully. Just have to let it thaw slowly & then bake as usual.
    The only thing that I have had no success freezing was cream although I did manage to use it in a stew. Waste not, want not!

MrsSD
    LFHW
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Tonight is hm beef curry using up diced beef & 5 pots of takeaway red dipping sauce from freezer, plus parboiled potatoes, chopped leeks, cauliflower & broccoli from freezer + using the last of the curry paste from the fridge. Also naan from freezer. There will be enough for dinner tomorrow with the 2nd naan from the freezer.

I am now a woman on a mission to empty my freezers - menu is planned for the next six days which should empty the freezers apart from vegetables & icecreams :rotfl:. Now I just have to make a shopping list for the missing/cannot replace ingredients.

So menu is as follows:

Wed. Lo hm beef curry
    Th. Hm lasagne
    Fri. Mackerel fillets
    Sat. Toad in the Hole
    Sun. Full roast pork dinner (neither of us are fans of lamb)
    Mon. Lo roast dinner
    Tue. Fishcakes

Wish me luck :)

MrsSD
    LFHW

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Thank you tomtombeat:T
  • Success with the hm beef curry - it was a tad spicy but fortunately had a pot of soured cream in the fridge. Very tasty & enough left for DH’s dinner tonight, I will have lo Chinese takeaway from freezer.

MrsSD

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    joedenise wrote: »
    JackieO - what's a PKP cooker? Is that the Pressure King Pressure Cooker?

Denise

Yes it was my treat to myself from my Christmas cash. my son-in-law bought one and swears by it and I had been humming and harring about it for ages .I went to dinner at their house and I must admit the food was deilcious. :D and several of my friends also swear by it.

JackieO xx
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've looked at that and the Instant Pot but just can't justify the price when I have 2 pressure cookers already (a large one and a small one). Also slow cooker, halogen oven with loads of accessories to do rotisserie chicken, sausage cage, chip cage etc; Remoska.

Denise
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Oh dear, it looks like Steve the freezer is on his way out. he keeps piddling on the floor :p

Luckily my freezer emptying has helped as I think i can transfer everything into the other freezer. I am thinking of not replacing him. the only thing it'll mean is that we have to eat things up quicker, which will be no bad thing IMO

Just had bacon and egg (or begg as it's known in our house) as DS is home and opened a new bacon without finishing up the old one..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure