“Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.”

Comments

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It has been brighter today and dry! Its really cold though.
    Must admit I've had the curtains drawn all day though :o

I must admit DS isn't too bad and I'm glad he realises that for branded items they will be gifts rather than just because he needs a new pair. Still makes me realise he's growing up though :o I don't want him to be big
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,249 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Could you get the branded trainers from TK Maxx or Sports Direct?
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi W, hope you’re looking after yourself. :)

Regarding DS & the trainer thing, fingers crossed it could be a passing phase, I went through it about age 11, wanting the branded stuff because “everyone else has them mum!” Imagine that in my best Kevin-the-teenager voice (coincidentally I’ve been nicknamed Kevin the teenager in 3 separate jobs & am now in my 30s :eek::rotfl: No comment).

Anyway, my mum couldn’t afford that stuff as a single parent, so I didn’t get it and that was that. I forgot about it and went onto something else. My sister on the other hand - once she was in that phase she didn’t come out of it and is still a bit like that with brands and labels.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • Someone on here a while back posted a link to a site where you could get branded stuff for a fraction of the price of the mainstream shops. Can;t for the life of me remember who though, or what the site was. Hopefully they may pop up on here like magic though!

I tried to go through that phase too - Mum & Dad said "Nope, waste of money" and that was the end of that! :rotfl:

That's good news on the Birthday present WF! Worth asking on freecycle or similar for games for it? Or charity shops?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • I used to get branded trainers etc quite cheaply from Sports Direct. They often have 50 - 70% off the RRP. Otherwise I would have told them we couldn't afford brands.

Hope you're feeling a bit better. £2.20 for paper cup coffee seems expensive, the machine at our hospital charged £1.30, although I'm not sure coffee was the right word for what I drank :think:
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Someone on here a while back posted a link to a site where you could get branded stuff for a fraction of the price of the mainstream shops.

I saw that too and ended up getting things from there! (So thanks to whoever started the ball rolling :) )

I think this was it: https://www.mandmdirect.com/
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Someone on here a while back posted a link to a site where you could get branded stuff for a fraction of the price of the mainstream shops. Can;t for the life of me remember who though, or what the site was. Hopefully they may pop up on here like magic though!
    I saw that too and ended up getting things from there! (So thanks to whoever started the ball rolling :) )

I think this was it: https://www.mandmdirect.com/

Twas me :j:j:j

I love that shop although DD (15) has recently spent £75 on a pair of trainers:eek: It was her Xmas money so she is free to do what she likes with it and she wanted the latest Nikes and they arent on MandM yet.
    She is also coveting another pair of Nikes, only £110:eek:
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,065 Forumite
    Have a good weekend, I hope you are feeling better soon xx
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Twas me :j:j:j

I love that shop although DD (15) has recently spent £75 on a pair of trainers:eek: It was her Xmas money so she is free to do what she likes with it and she wanted the latest Nikes and they arent on MandM yet.
    She is also coveting another pair of Nikes, only £110:eek:

Thank you EE :)

Crikey, that's a lot to spend on something that gets walked on in the mud! :rotfl:
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    Thank you will have a search on those sites for his trainers and HH the coffee is more expensive than the ones served in the cafe but is 'branded' from the machines n WRVS ;)

Still need to search for the game too :o But I have a teething toddler :eek: Her back teeth are coming in and jeez don't we don't about it! Thank goodness for the purple glittery medicine.

Smalls have made me pictures and wrapped them for my birthday and the three of them spent the afternoon making cakes and cookies.

The majority of my day has still been spent sat watching them and nothing much else :o
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback