Cheap tough phones

cfw1994
cfw1994 Posts: 1,872 Forumite
Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 4 August 2018 at 10:13PM in Mobiles
Considering next mobiles for couple of family members, & possibly for me too!

Currently iPhone 5 users....but less enamoured with Apple these days, so willing to look to Android....as an aside, anyone made the switch, any words of advice?

Moto G6 looks like the go to for a decent mid-range option (appreciate this is not a tough phone!)

However, looking at ones like Blackview, who offer some interesting phones like the BV7000 or the tough looking BV5800Pro at prices below £200.
Anyone had experience of these?

I have a work iPhone 7 & and not impressed with it, would be interesting to try one: useful for hikes, don!!!8217;t need a chunky otter box style case to protect!

Thanks!
Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!

Comments

• Tough enough? I've had mine for over 18 months and it hasn't been wrapped in cotton wool. Still looks and performs like new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfTUrHQmPjM
  • jhiker
    jhiker Posts: 38 Forumite
    Consider Nokia 6.1 - legendary built quality. Gorilla glass at front and the body is a one-piece aluminium machining.
    I've got one on order as I want something a bit bigger than my current iPhone 5S and I refuse to pay silly Apple prices.
    Similar spec to G6+ 4GB/64GB around £170 from TobydealsUK. Comes from Hong Kong.
  • cfw1994
    Well, I foolishly went for the BV5800Pro - arrived today, & within an hour or two of use (on wifi only), realised the camera was shocking & the phone far too laggy (scrolling in FB stopped at one point).
    Bah!
    Nokia 6.1 looks interesting....but will probably go for the Moto G6 Amazon special. VERY similar specs to the Nokia.

Neither fall in to the 'tough/waterproof' category, but that was a desirable, not essential - the essential bit is a phone that will work as you would expect!
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    cfw1994 wrote: »
    Well, I foolishly went for the BV5800Pro - arrived today, & within an hour or two of use (on wifi only), realised the camera was shocking & the phone far too laggy (scrolling in FB stopped at one point).
    Bah!
    Nokia 6.1 looks interesting....but will probably go for the Moto G6 Amazon special. VERY similar specs to the Nokia.

Neither fall in to the 'tough/waterproof' category, but that was a desirable, not essential - the essential bit is a phone that will work as you would expect!

I have a Moto E4plus. Great phone but...... it seems that many Motos seem to have the same problem of wifi disconnecting. Mine has a contention problem between wifi and bluetooth.

Sometimes it won't connect to wifi until I switch off bluetooth. It then connects and I can then reconnect bluetooth.

Here is a specific thread on the G6 https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G6-Moto-G6-Plus-Moto-G6/Moto-G6-Wifi-disconnects-and-reconnects-frequently/td-p/4091752

But do google "Moto wifi disconnection " or "moto wifi problems" for yourself and make up your own mind. The web is awash with this problem and Moto can't seem to do anything about it. Personally, I find it a pain as I either miss calls when driving as I have bluetooth off or I use up my data because I have forgotten to switch wifi on if it is disconnected.
  • cfw1994
    Curious. The last one appeared to be specifically an issue with his NetGear router...I suspect there are far more people out there with good experiences than bad!
    Almost a toss-up between the moto G6 & the Nokia 6.1.....
  • Guys_Dad
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 August 2018 at 3:38PM
    It is a great phone otherwise and if you are willing to risk the wifi problem, then it could be ok.

However, as I said, the web is full of complaints and they are ongoing. Here is a 25-page thread on the subject https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-E-4th-Gen-MOTO-E-4th-Gen/Moto-E4-wifi-connection-problems/td-p/3956652

There are loads more.

Also on this forum here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5783482&page=2 post #25 onwards

But now that you have been pre-warned, you can make your own decision and if you do find you encounter the problem, then the many threads have get-around-temporary-fixes posted.

Moto don't seem to be able to issue a fix yet.
  • cfw1994
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    It is a great phone otherwise and if you are willing to risk the wifi problem, then it could be ok.

However, as I said, the web is full of complaints and they are ongoing. Here is a 25-page thread on the subject https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-E-4th-Gen-MOTO-E-4th-Gen/Moto-E4-wifi-connection-problems/td-p/3956652

There are loads more.

Also on this forum here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5783482&page=2 post #25 onwards

But now that you have been pre-warned, you can make your own decision and if you do find you encounter the problem, then the many threads have get-around-temporary-fixes posted.

Moto don't seem to be able to issue a fix yet.

Maybe there is a generic issue...although the first link there is talking about the E4, not G6, & the second is referring more to the previous gen 5?

I guess there are Friday phones just like lemony cars - I bet Moto have sold a shed-load of those - amazon has 190 reviews with 83% 4* or 5* (& only 8% 1 or 2).

Tricky....what would YOU recommend?
    thx!
  • Guys_Dad
    First Post Combo Breaker
    cfw1994 wrote: »

Tricky....what would YOU recommend?
    thx!

I was really attracted by the long battery life. It is excellent 15 months on, though, I would have sacrificed some battery life for reliability of wifi.

There are some good similar priced handsets out there and if I had been prewarned about the MOTO generic fault, I would have gone for another handset instead.

But you have the advantage of being prewarned and you can decide which way to go.
  • cfw1994
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    if I had been prewarned about the MOTO generic fault, I would have gone for another handset instead.

But you have the advantage of being prewarned and you can decide which way to go.

But WHICH handset?!!
    The Nokia 6.1 looks closest mainstream unit...but only via dodgy-sounding websites!!

Thx ;)
  • I am satisfied with my Poptel P9000 Max. it is a unbreakable smartphone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure