PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Meg maybe he couldn't cope with no use by date :) are there any charities like the Salvation Army near you who run soup kitchen, not sure if the same rules would apply?

We have rain :j it started about an hour ago, just one rumble of thunder so far, it's still hot and sticky but this is meant to cool it down.

I kept away from the ice cream, I realised I would have to re jig my freezer or eat them all, it was a difficult decision to make :think: no room in my kitchen for a second freezer and no electric in the garage, so will need to make do. One of my drawers is full of HM ready meals aka Left Overs which are more suited to cooler weather.

Lunch was a salad which wasn't brilliant today, I only added little gem lettuce, my cucumber was really bitter and I only had 2 cherry tomatoes :cool: and I forgot the meat so only cottage cheese. I usually use cottage cheese as a low fat option for mayonnaise and to add moisture to the salad it was fat free and a pretty bland lunch. Most went in the bin and I just had pineapple and melon, luckily I had a large container of it :D. This is what happens if I don't make it the night before and I hit the snooze button too many times, thank goodness for the furry alarm clock :D

Dinner was duck breast, new potatoes and stir fried green veg with toasted sesame seeds, some of the potatoes may have ended up in the duck pan with the duck fat :p
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 8:06AM
    Options
    Two thoughts for the day - and:

Farway (or any other gardener) - re a cherry tree I've bought for my garden. It's growing extremely fast and generally looking healthy. Not sure what red "nodules" are on some of the new growth?? I'm guessing it's "summat that's meant to be". They are hard and I assume it's some sort of bud or something and not a "problem something"? Any thoughts?

Re Kittie - and her ban has now been lifted. She's put up a post - on several other threads - saying words to effect of "I'm allowed back on again - I'm gone" and the comments at the end are presumably meant for whoever it is that had contacted MSE/had a ban imposed and are presumably specifically for them? Tries to remember what her previous avatar was - but she's changed it - and it looks like a troll. So I'd say it's a pretty safe bet the last bit of her post is meant for her?/him?/them?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    1. Whilst sadly malicious acts are not unheard of cant say I have ever heard of one that involved a little old lady and a bag full of beans.

Which is why it's a genius idea :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Thanks for the update re kittie MTSTM.
    Wet & windy here this morning so I think a pile of ironing beckons. It's due to dry up later so hopefully I'll get some more done in the garden.
    Last of the allotment slice for lunch and I've a portion of salmon defrosted for tonight which I'll have with new potatoes and green veg.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 1:25PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    PN- did you put the final cornetto out it's misery? ;):)

Yes I did. Yesterday evening. I'd not rush to buy those ever again. I just fancied an ice cream and 4ldi don't sell the dirt cheap choc ices any more, so I just grabbed them so I could get home.

Not a fan. I'd buy them again, if caught between a rock and a hard place, but I'd not put them on the list of "get those ones...."

Yesterday's tea ended up as beans and mini sausages on toast - used the final four mini sausages there.

I'll probably have beans on toast again today (as the beans are open) .... and I've still got those last 2 sausage rolls.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    All over....
    Great news PN, lets' hope normal people move in now

Nice one on the Balcony Yellows Caron, I know you are way further north than me but the ripening differences are so marked, I love my Balcony Yellows, so prolific, and as we have both found, first to ripen

Meg and beans, our local food bank does not accept fresh veg or fresh meat, even prepacked from S/m, keeping it fresh is the problem I believe, and of course some recipients do not have "proper" cooking facilities, or a bob or two for the meter, something which many of us are not aware of.
    As others have said, local charities may be glad of them, I volunteer at my local Age Concern, and we love donated bags of fresh veg, but we have volunteer cooks to prep & cook, not all do.

Had a lie in, no idea why, but weather has changed at last, not so humid, and down to a comfortable 70F, maybe it was a well needed good night's sleep

Late breakfast, same old porridge, banana, honey, & HM yoghurt

The promised rain never happened, just had a peek at the radar weather, loads of rain in the Channel, just none making ashore. Thus out watering the sunflowers & dahlias in pots out the front. I'll attend to the runners, figs etc in the back later

I've decided on a fishy meal day, tinned sardines in tom sauce on toast for lunch, and packet of YS boil in bag kipper fillets out & defrosting for dinner, probably with my last pack of instant mash. I tried to replenish but seems lack of the own brand cheapo mash, of course loads of the stuff the Martian robots eat
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 12:14PM
    Options
    Good news PN, though Cassandra like, I am reminded of my own NFH. The problem was noise and it was caused by the son who wanted to be able to listen to his music (from a player in the house) at the bottom of a 70 foot garden - right opposite my house. It was so loud I couldn't hear my own radio.

How we cheered when they sold up! Only to discover that they'd sold it to said son ...

Brunch was North African eggs, 'as advertised' on the meatless meals thread, with a YS mini garlic baguette. Dinner will either be YS lamb steak with broccoli or toad in the hole and mange tout peas.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 12:43PM
    Options
    Fingers crossed that's the end of "nuisance neighbour" Pastures.

It's mind-boggling just what an impact they can have on you in your own home I know from experience.

I guess it's that phrase "An Englishmans home is his castle" - updated to "A British persons home is their castle". Maybe we expect life to be "normal/as we decide/etc" more in our homes than others are used to?

One wonders if there are equivalent problems in other countries about noise/boundary disputes/et al. I guess so - but only hear about ours??

Maybe it's only a British person that would walk round puzzled in some countries thinking "But I can't see where this persons property starts and that one ends:huh::huh::huh: Where's the boundaries - there don't seem to be any?"

I know I like my home to be quiet/peaceful/"I'll keep off your land and you keep off mine etc".....
  • caronc
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Glad you put that ice cream out of it's misery PN and great news about your NFH moving out.:) I've been really lucky with my neighbours over the years thankfully.:)
    :eek::eek:bouicca21re your NFH's son buying the house
    Farway - yes my crops for most things seem to be a good month or more behind yours. Our last frost date tends to be the second last week in May which I suspect is well after yours.
    MTSTM - boundary disputes are a real pain, my friend's had a terrible time with a farmer who insisted he owned a strip of land and right of way through their property. It took ages a lot of expense to sort out but they got there in the end.

Definitely sunshine & showers here today and the showers are really heavy. I should only need to water the greenhouse & deck baskets this evening. Small amount of ironing done so it's time for lunch and then my feet up for a couple of hours.
  • caronc
    Options
    Just had some wonderful news my elder son's lovely gf said "yes":heart::heart:, I am absolutely delighted :j:j:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback