PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stale Bread - what to do with it?

Comments

• dixie_dean_2
    dixie_dean_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Feed to ducks. It's amazingly satisfying.
    And if, you know, your history...
  • do you have any bananas lying about too? I found one for banana bread and butter pud the other night on the bbc website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/breadandbutterpuddin_74222.shtml

or like purple princess said, whizz them into breadcrumbs. I made some breadcrumbs and froze them for putting in savoury meals at a later date- I don't know what they'l defrost like yet!?
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    i just lay the buttered bread in a dish and cover with a few eggs milk or cream and sugar mixed up leave it for 10 minutes for the bread to soak then sprinkle with brown sugar sultanas and cinnamon and bake till golden it comes out lovely every time. have a dig through your cupboards and see what you can find, you can throw most things in, we had coconut bread and butter pudding the other night with leftover coconut milk and dessicated coconut sprinkled over the top and it was polished off in 2 mins:D
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    dixie_dean wrote:
    Feed to ducks. It's amazingly satisfying.
    sorry no can do no duck pond near me.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Bread isn't good for ducks, it also makes their poo high in nitrogen, which is toxic to water, so please don't feed left over bread to ducks - much better in a bread pudding ;)

225g bread
    275ml milk
    50g butter (melted)
    75g brown sugar
    2 level teaspoons mixed spice
    1 beaten egg
    175g mixed fruit
    grated rind of half orange

Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4, 350F or 180C.
    Grease a 2-21/2 pint baking dish.
    Begin by breaking the bread into suitable size peices (I usually just pop it into a food processor and process til quite small). Pour the milk over and let stand for 30 mins.
    Now add the melted butter, sugar, mixed spice and beaten egg. Beat well then mix in the fruit and orange rind. Spread into the baking dish and bake for 1 - 11/4 hrs. I like mine served warm with a little sprinkling of sugar on top. But if you like it cold it's just as good like that.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • dixie_dean_2
    dixie_dean_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Who cares about the ducks though? Its really satisfying for me.
    And if, you know, your history...
  • dixie_dean wrote:
    Who cares about the ducks though? Its really satisfying for me.
    Can't believe anybody could mean that.............must be a sick joke
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Since I live alone I never have lots of leftovers, but I try to gather bread crumbs in a little bag - I eat wholemeal bread and that gets very crumbly when it's past freshness - and then add them to bolognese sauces, stews etc. Makes everything go that little bit further.

Sometimes I just add the crumbs to my cereal breakfast.

:)
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • ok bread pud recipe its my own and i used to sell it very sucsessfully, i hate it so never tried it. But it was the talk of the town i promise

you will need a greased vic sandwhich tin

brown bread is best but white will do
    half a pint milk
    cup of mixed fruit
    half cup sugar caster
    2 eggs
    and a good pinch of cinamon

beat the eggs and milk together, then add sugar and fruit.
    break the bread into good size chunks, crusts are great.
    and just mix the whole lot together till you get a nice lumpy wettish texture
    better to have it a bit wet comes out not so heavy and stodgy and most of the goo runs out the bottom of the tin anyway ( makesure tin on grease proof paper to save your oven) press it all down in tin.
    Bake it in middle of pre heated oven for 190 for about 30 mins if its still gooish in the middle once youve let it cool in tin (still cooks when left standing in own heat) all the better its not stodgy or to heavy to eat then.
    then just sprinkle with caster suger
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Bread and butter pudding, obviously!
    I make mine without any sugar.
    I've made one every week for a few weeks now.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport