PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Comments

• 16011996 wrote:
    our manchester tart has bananas sliced on top of the jam and beneath the custard, does anyone else do this?

Yes!! i thought that when i read the recipie....where are the bananas!!?? lol
    manchester tart isnt manchester tart without the bananas :D

oooh chocolate concrete with pink custard mmmmm that was my fave! i have bought the chocolate concrete from cooplands but it dont taste no where near as good as the what we had at school...... maybe it was because i didnt have any pink custard with it??? lol

anyone know how to make the pink custard??? cause it tasted different didnt it? i tried making normal custard with colouring in to make it pink bu it just wasnt the same :( lol
  • Anyone know anyone who worked as dinner ladies in the 70s?
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Simba_25 wrote:
    anyone know how to make the pink custard??? cause it tasted different didnt it? i tried making normal custard with colouring in to make it pink bu it just wasnt the same :( lol

I think you'd have to make a basic sweet white sauce then add some pink food colouring and possibly some strawberry flavouring - maybe you could use milkshake mix for it ?

In fact, I bought some Crusha mix yesterday just so that I could try flavouring my HM yogs to see if DS's would eat it. Methinks a pink custard session is approaching - especially as the kids have requested sponge pud and custard next week :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    there's a thread in the community section of delia on line and an ex school cook says they used blancmange.

Pink Custard
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • They still do chocolate concrete and the cornflake things in schools now
    CALLING all dinner ladys
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    :( I remember the ice cream scoops of mashed spuds and being made to eat a vile spam fritter :eek:
    the puds were more to my liking! prunes and custard and the pink custard :D my mum was a dinnerlady for years! :D
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • rammy007
    rammy007 Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Found this if anyone wants the chocolate crunch recipe sorry but i am not very techie minded so i dont know how to set a hyperlink(must ask my 8year old)but its this;
    http://www3.thny.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/focus/foodanddrink/2003/02/chocolate_crunch.shtml
    (Wow somehow it worked not sure how i did it)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you click on the blue "Welcome" in my signature below, down at the bottom of that post are some direct links to great tutorials by sra that will show you how to make them. Links, that is, not school puds :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Please can anyone help me find the receipes for 'Honey Buns'??? They were a bread like consistency ozzing with honey and were served warm with icing sugar on top.
    I absolutely adore them and woudl love to know how to make them. Please can anyone help me?
  • After reading this thread again yesterday, I've just ventures into Tesco's (I'm forgetting what it looks like :D) and bought a pick packet of Semolina :D:D Yum yum. LOVED it at school. Best get cooking some for tea.....mmmmmmmm

And, at the checkout, the lady looked at it and said she loved it, hadn't had it in years and was off to buy some herself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure