16 free (or very cheap) ways to sprinkle some Christmas magic - blog discussion

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
After the Black Friday hoopla of last week, many are feeling the pressure to spend in the run-up to Christmas – especially those with kids. So we wanted to come up with some ways to sprinkle a little Christmas magic for free (or very cheaply).

Read the full blog: 16 free (or very cheap) ways to sprinkle some Christmas magic

Comments

• I'm making some Christmas decorations and other Christmassy stuff with my granddaughter and my son. Some cheap but effective ideas include:
    * battery tealight snowman

https://onelittleproject.com/tea-light-snowman-ornaments/
    * hot chocolate Rudolph
    https://cincyshopper.com/diy-rudolph-hot-chocolate-gift-free-printable-label/
    * green paper cone Christmas tree, decorated with stick on 'jewels', and a few holes punched out. Put a battery tealight underneath.
    * chocolate bar characters - wrap small chocolate bars in white paper, add googly eyes, stick on a long triangle of orange paper and draw black dots for mouth. Add a paper scarf and draw on buttons, to make a snowman. Do a similar type of thing for Rudolph, father Christmas, and elves.
    * make a tray bake with Rice Krispies. Add silver balls and sprinkly bits from the cake decorating section of the supermarket (Morrison's have silver and gold decorations on offer at the moment). Drizzle with zigzags of icing. Once set, cut into triangles (tree shapes), and wrap into grease proof paper.
    * Print a Father Christmas advent calendar. Add a ball of cotton wool each day in Decemeber. Father Christmas will have a full beard by Christmas Eve.
    https://theorganisedhousewife.com.au/holiday-seasons/christmas/christmas-craft-santas-beard-advent-calendar/
    * fill clear baubles (The Works or Home Bargains) with curled red paper strips. Add a belt and buckle on the outside. Write the year on the back.

There are lots more ideas on Pinterest. Many use everyday bits and bobs, cost very little, and are lots of fun for children. It's a great way to spend time with kids, preparing for Christmas.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I plan to make the decorations (gingerbread snowflakes) for our tree this year.

We'll bake and ice them, and then hang on the tree.

Reason being, my decorations are glass and I don't want my little son to get hurt, or for them to be broken. At least this way, when he grabs a decoration, he won't hurt himself!
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I love doing tray bakes plenty of chocolate in them.

Grand children love to help with the tree, and collecting leaves / cones in the nearby wood to make into things when they have dried out
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills