EON Smart PAYG Electricity Voucher - Lost!

AndyCF
AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
This is actually my own fault. My only consolation was the monies were (relatively) small thankfully.

OK so yesterday while at the local Post Office getting a few bits and pieces I thought I'd save myself some trouble and get an electric voucher while here, I don't mind entering the code manually I have done it before on a few occasions, not many but I have in the past. I usually top up online or via phone.

I want to point out, I do not use this method very often it was simply convenient as I had the money in hand rather than in the bank and I was already in a suitable place of purchase for other shopping reasons.

Problem here is: I lost the voucher!

I called EON this morning as the purchase time was 5pm yesterday, they were very nice but could not help (I was expecting this anyway but thought there is no harm in asking) , basically its treated as cash so I understand, she did kindly suggest I ask at the P.O which I did.

I was hoping they would be able to print a duplicate one out:

Reason being If its been used or if I was up to no good (I'm not!) then it would not work again anyway so a duplicate is harmless. Its only really the same as say a PAYG phone voucher, a bit of paper.

Unfortunately they are not able to issue a duplicate, she was a little vague about it, not sure if I had of managed it the same day they could of or not, but it would of been too late (they would of been closed) so it was impossible to do anything yesterday by the time I returned home and realised.

I do have the time as I purchased something else so have a receipt for that with a times-tamp however the elec does not show on that as it was a separate purchase, not an "all together" receipt.

Any thoughts on this please ? :o:) Apart from being a lot lot more careful next time!

I want to point out I'm not unhappy with either EON or the P.O about this, :)

Ultimately I lost it = my fault. However: I am slightly surprised there is not some backup mechanism to deal with this situation in some way, as ultimately as I mentioned above if the voucher was used (it would only work on EON anyway) it would not work twice.

Comments

• AndyCF
    I wonder if an EON rep on the forum would have any thoughts on this.

My feedback is simply where this does happen its the customers fault (I am at fault here, at the end of the day: I lost the voucher!) ...

...however some method of obtaining a new one should be in place if its not already been used, there's no issue of anything dodgy here as if its been used = It won't work again. :)

My thoughts are that the transaction would eventually register at EON themselves, ultimately the voucher code has to come from somewhere...

:)
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Let's assume you could get a duplicate, how are the staff to know it was you who bought the original?

Let's assume you put the voucher in your wallet and you got side tracked. Someone, in the mean time, went to the shop and got a duplicated copy. Entered the code into their EON meter and free energy comes their way.
  • AndyCF
    Let's assume you could get a duplicate, how are the staff to know it was you who bought the original?

Let's assume you put the voucher in your wallet and you got side tracked. Someone, in the mean time, went to the shop and got a duplicated copy. Entered the code into their EON meter and free energy comes their way.

They actually remembered me when I went in the next morning to ask as she said "you've lost it?" , as I purchased some gas (with a gas-card) and some other bits too. They also knew the amounts too as it was the same figure for both energy supplies.

All I'm saying is there is no harm in issuing a duplicate really as its only going to work with EON and if its been used "elsewhere" its been used.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    AndyCF wrote: »
    They actually remembered me when I went in the next morning to ask as she said "you've lost it?" , as I purchased some gas (with a gas-card) and some other bits too. They also knew the amounts too as it was the same figure for both energy supplies.

All I'm saying is there is no harm in issuing a duplicate really as its only going to work with EON and if its been used "elsewhere" its been used.

But how are they going to track the original purchase and issue another one with the same code?. They probably have no way of knowing which one has already been issued so can't issue a duplicate.

Not being able to issue duplicates under any circumstances helps prevent fraud.
  • AndyCF
    takman wrote: »
    But how are they going to track the original purchase and issue another one with the same code?. They probably have no way of knowing which one has already been issued so can't issue a duplicate.

Not being able to issue duplicates under any circumstances helps prevent fraud.

I can see that yes. :) But my theory was the chances of someone:

(a) if they did pick up the bit of paper and
    (b) having a suitable meter

Were probably reasonably remote! I can provide the location, amount and time which would (in theory) narrow it right down if not completely given the P.O was quiet at that time.

Its not a big issue thankfully, probably no worse than losing say a mobile topup voucher paper. Just slightly surprised there is not a way to issue another copy.

One thing I'm not clear on however is if I had returned the same day to the P.O (too late that day) if their systems would of permitted a duplicate to be issued or not.

Extra :) indicates this is a friendly topic, I'm just surprised rather than annoyed at anyone!
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    It's policy that prevents issuing of a duplicate voucher, not technology. It is technically possible to reprint any voucher, airtime, electricity or otherwise, but policy means this can only be done within minutes of the original print (this is a safeguard against printer jams / running out of paper), but once this time has passed the machine locks out the ability to reprint a voucher as a fraud prevention measure - not just by the public, but members of staff also.

Totally understand your points, but allowing the machines to be able to reprint any voucher at any time opens the system up to a world of abuse.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Good morning AndyCF,

Some good information on the thread, so thank you :)

This really is such a pain AndyCF, as we can't now credit the money to your account.

As Andy_WSM has said, we couldn't print out a duplicate voucher.

If it was a key or card that was lost this would be different, as the payment would show on your account, so we could see it, but we can't with a voucher.

Thank you.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • AndyCF
    Thanks Helena. :)

I do appreciate your time to read / reply to the topic.

I can see both sides to this, trying to look at my own 'problem' from a different point of view as such.

As previous I'm not unhappy with anyone about it, I lost it = my fault = end of story. :):) , extra smilie added to indicate this is a friendly reply rather than a "omg I'm annoyed" thing.

I guess this is the "price of convenience" really, in that the Smart meter permits so many more top-up choices, such as:

Automated phone 24/7
    Office hours phone if you want to speak to someone
    Online topup via voucher or card
    Visit a P.O for a voucher
    Mobile app (I don't have a smart phone so I'm guessing this one)
    Possibly another method I've forgotten!

... Compared to the older key / card where you had to physically venture to an outlet at a suitable time to get a topup, there are a lot more choices and methods are available to suit.

Would I go back to a key if offered ? Probably not, although I did have to have three meter changes to get it to work properly (just one of those things) The only advantage I could see with the legacy key meter really was that it would permanently display the credit left without pressing a button but the IHD with the Smart is easy to leave on that display anyway, so a non-issue.

I think as both the kind lady at EON (and actually a neighbour also mentioned too), regarding the vouchers "think of it as cash" or similar words.

Lesson learned! :D , don't lose that bit of paper.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    No problem at all AndyCF, just sorry I can't actually do anything to help you :o

I agree with your post though, there are so many ways to top up these days and pay bills etc, so more things to potentially go wrong.

Three meter changes :eek: I'm glad the meter works ok now.

Always here to help as much as we can.

Helena :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • It's just legalised theft IMO, the energy supplier has now profited to the tune of the topup amount abd supplied no energy for it.

What gives the power company the right to benefit where no supply has been made? They will be able to see a voucher was issued and hasn't been used, yet they pocket the money.

If paid by credit / debit card, why can't the purchase be refunded after the expiry date of the voucher? Or a refund given to someone with the original receipt?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure