PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    Options
    I basically don't ever use my central heating except to heat water when the PV solar panels don't heat the immersion tank enough, and I haven't had the stove on since Sunday when I was keeping my poor football playing muscles warm and reflex shivering to the sound of rain beating against the pane.

But tonight I've just cracked and put it on to heat the lounge as with the clear skies the temperature is noticeably dropping. Tomorrow is chicken casserole with a really decent chardonnay (I hope!), but I look forward to the heavyweight stews and delving into the cupboard for a good Italian red from our last holiday. I need to use up a few to make space for next January's skiing holiday stock-up!

I've got my eye on some pallets in a neighbour's garden. He often lets me have them and I never lack for kindling, so I'll try and grab him over the next few days. The sour dough culture is developing well, although I still haven't quite got the knack of getting a decent loaf every time.

I like the autumn and winter!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CHeck your wood is dry before you let them unload it.
    We had a delivery last year, it was so wet the porch was dripping, so I phoned him and he took it back after trying to blame me for it being wet, saying I'd left it out in the rain. The n he delivered another lot and THAT was wet too, and he still had the cheek to tell me it was his best wood and that all the local pubs used it. God knows how, it was soaking. It's taken all summer in the porch to dry, and I will never use him again.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I bought some new white satin bed covers and they are lovely and comfortable. One of my old bed covers has gone all bobbly and so I will fold it up and use it as a throw for my lap when I'm downstairs watching TV when it's cold.:A

The winter duvet has gone back on the bed, but the heating isn't on yet. It's a bit chilly but nice and sunny here today.
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    First hot water bottle of the season tonight!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    They're saying first snow due on the hills up north by the end of next week.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Back from sitting the Grandpickles overnight and the house is cold so the heating has been put on for a warm up! very nice it is too! Wonderfully misty morning today and very chilly outside when we went to the car but the mist is now beginning to burn off and we're forecast a nice afternoon.....I feel walkies coming on!
  • shoei
    shoei Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It looks like it is going to be a nippy one this weekend!!!
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I'm currently working away for a few days at a time so am doing a 3/4-day commute each week - this is REALLY tricky weather to pack for, travelling fairly light! I seem to have spent the last month either taking a layer off or putting it on or wishing I had more to decently remove or wishing I had more to put on against the shivering!

Roll on proper autumnal weather when I know what clothes to wear... :)
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is the first time in many months I have felt really cold. Lovely allotment neighbour chatted for ages earlier, but he was in the sun and I was in the shade and the cold has gone straight for my bones. I have dug out a cardigan thingie to wear over my t-shirt now. The wind is changing direction and it's rather a shock to the system.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We've ordered a trailer load of seasoned logs which comes tomorrow morning and the log store is ready and waiting for them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback