Two policies on one car

Options
My partner wants to pass her test and start driving. The only thing is, we can't afford two cars. I want to keep my no claims and I want her to build hers up.. I was talking to a co-worker who is in a similar situation and he said that both him and his partner have their own seperate policies on the same car, to which I thought that wasn't allowed?

So I suppose the query is are you allowed to have two people insured on one car but two seperate policies? If no how else can both me and my partner accumulate no claims.... thanks guys

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's perfectly legal to have two policies on one car. Whether it's a good idea is another matter. Your effectively paying for two policies, in order to get a discount on one of them in the future...? Why not just pay for one policy, and let your partner build up her no claims if and when she actually gets a car? With a couple of years driving experience under her belt the cost of a separate policy for her will be lower anyway, even without any NCD.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why do they pay double to insure the same car? Mad?

Its going to be expensive until some no claims is earned, as above saying they have held a licence for x years helps even if they have not driven.

Also when they get a car dont swap and change, choose a car that will last a few years. Tinkering recently and found it added £50 when you select just bought the car compared to owning it for 3 years.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure