Dro, Gambling, Balance Transfers

Hi,

I'm looking for a but of advice if anyone can help me.

I was a gambler for about 10 years until I had my light bulb moment 12 months ago, never gambled since! I am in debt because of this.

I owe £6300 on one credit card which I done a balance transfer on 30 months ago, it was for 40 months interest free. On another card I owe £4200 which was also a balance transfer for 24 months but I only done that balance transfer 12 months ago. I haven't used the cards since doing the balance transfers or haven't missed any payments. These are my total debts .

I am finding it a struggle to even make the minimum payments on these cards so my family have been helping me out when they can.

I do fit the criteria for a Dro, live in rented property, no car, no assets, I'm a carer for my husband and I receive carers allowance. My husband claims for me on his employment and support allowance.

My questions are,

Would I be refused a Dro because of the gambling, would I be refused because those balance transfer would be seen as preferential payments.

Thank you.

Comments

• Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Get yourself self-excluded for life from betting websites you used just in case you are tempted again to use them.Well done for going 12 months without gambling.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier

My questions are,

Would I be refused a Dro because of the gambling, would I be refused because those balance transfer would be seen as preferential payments.

Thank you.

No to both questions.

OK, there are theoretical possibilities of DRRO (restriction order) or being turned down. But I've done hundreds of these with all manner of issues and they're always accepted.
  • Thanks fatbelly you've put my mind at rest xxx
  • I’ve never had an issue putting a client into any form of insolvency if they manage to steer clear of gambling for three months beforehand.

Wishing you all the best.
  • Hi again, sorry just another question if you don't mind.

Would getting a Dro affect my husband? We have separate bank accounts and the two debts mentioned above are both in my name only. All the household bills are in my name apart from the electricity and gas bills which are in both names, which are all paid and up to date.

Thanks xxx
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Just want to say you have had your light bulb moment and have abstained for a year. Well done. Been there and done that many years ago. I am sure all will be well.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi again, sorry just another question if you don't mind.

Would getting a Dro affect my husband? We have separate bank accounts and the two debts mentioned above are both in my name only. All the household bills are in my name apart from the electricity and gas bills which are in both names, which are all paid and up to date.

Thanks xxx

so long as the debt is solely in your name, then no. if any joint debt, they would not pursue you, but will still pursue your husband...
    all debts in your name, regardless the size, must be listed when entering a DRO, not just what you want a DRO for
  • Thank you Craig1981
  • Back again!

I have an appointment with CAB next week but just wanted to ask a couple of more questions please.

For reasons that I prefer not to go into I haven't missed any payments yet just been paying the minimum payment with the help of family, would that be a problem ?

My son gives me £200 a month for his keep which I do spend the most of it on food for him, he doesn't eat the same as us, he's a bit of a fitness freak so it's mostly steak, eggs and chicken for him! Would that be a problem?

Many thanks again for any help xx
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Back again!

I have an appointment with CAB next week but just wanted to ask a couple of more questions please.

For reasons that I prefer not to go into I haven't missed any payments yet just been paying the minimum payment with the help of family, would that be a problem ?

My son gives me £200 a month for his keep which I do spend the most of it on food for him, he doesn't eat the same as us, he's a bit of a fitness freak so it's mostly steak, eggs and chicken for him! Would that be a problem?

Many thanks again for any help xx

Can't see any problems there.

However, it is a waste of your money to be paying your creditors in a run-up to a DRO. Just concentrate on paying the £90 fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure