Executor expenses

Options
Hi
I’m executor of my fathers will there is no property just about £38,000 to be divided between me my brother & 2 sisters I have had to take unpaid time off work to empty his flat at my expense what can I claim form from his estate? I have had to travel to a few places as he wanted some of belongings take to certain charities to do with his church can I claim fuel or anything else that I have had to pay for so far out of my own pockets?
Many thanks for any help

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can claim some limited expenses.... but, the reality is, it's £38k/four siblings.

It's not worth the hassle of being in disagreement with your siblings over a few quid.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Bugsy27 wrote: »
    Hi
    I’m executor of my fathers will there is no property just about £38,000 to be divided between me my brother & 2 sisters I have had to take unpaid time off work to empty his flat at my expense what can I claim form from his estate? I have had to travel to a few places as he wanted some of belongings take to certain charities to do with his church can I claim fuel or anything else that I have had to pay for so far out of my own pockets?
    Many thanks for any help
    You can only claim genuine out of pocket expenses. Personally I would consider it a privelige to do it rather than bear the costs that a solicitor would charge as happened in my own father’s case.
  • Bugsy27
    Options
    Thank you for your replies I don’t want any hassle off my siblings as I had it all my life with them but even so I think I will have some hassle. I’m going to write them all a letter stating what I have of his personal possessions and see if any of them want any of it.
    Thank you
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    As a non professional executor you cannot claim for your time. You can only claim for specific expenses which should be justified by a receipt. So for example if you had paid some-one else appropriate the cost could have be claimed from the estate. eg Some charities will clear property for a relatively small fee if they can also sell anything of any value.
  • nom_de_plume
    Options
    I have had to travel to a few places as he wanted some of belongings take to certain charities to do with his church can I claim fuel or anything else ............

Expenses such as this can be claimed against the estate. If you used your own car I suggest you apply the HMRC guideline figure of 45p / mile which is used when one uses their own car for company business.

With regards to your time off work it would be a nice gesture if the other beneficiaries perhaps recognised this in some way, whether that be chipping in to the costs, a thank you card or whatever. Sounds like that may not be the case here though....
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Who couldn't you have cleared the property in non work time? Honestly it doesn't sound to me anything that a child wouldn't do for their deceased parent whether executor or not :(
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We claimed for postage, travel, heavy duty black sacks, photocopying etc. Everything we had a proper receipt for.

Stand alone it all sounds really petty but it amounted to about £130, & given that none of the 3 beneficiaries who also lived locally could be bothered to help empty the property (1 being co-executor), we intended it to look petty.

Afraid you can't claim for 'time', you could have put the option of a house clearance company to the other beneficiaries if they weren't willing to help. Unpaid while taking time off work to do it alone was your choice I'm afraid. Sorry.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Thank you for your replies I don’t want any hassle off my siblings as I had it all my life with them but even so I think I will have some hassle. I’m going to write them all a letter stating what I have of his personal possessions and see if any of them want any of it.
    Thank you
    A word of caution. Your duties as executor must not be influenced by antagonism for the family. If you do everything strictly by the book you will not go far wrong.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sammyjammy wrote: »
    Who couldn't you have cleared the property in non work time? Honestly it doesn't sound to me anything that a child wouldn't do for their deceased parent whether executor or not :(
    I don't know if you've ever been involved in a full clearance. I have ...

We'd done a rapid first pass through the house thinking 'oh my goodness' ... As part of this we'd taken at least a car full of stuff to a charity shop, which can only be done during working hours or on a Saturday. We'd taken at least a car full of stuff to the tip, which may have to be done during the working week because not all tips will allow house obviously large clearances at busy times like the weekend. Any trips to the tip involving anything more than bags required two people because the staff just tell you where to go, they don't normally help unload. Also some tips require proof that you live in the area, and don't even think about hiring a van because vans have to be pre-registered with proof that you live in the area.

We then employed a house clearance company, who first 'set' the house by clearing some of the clutter to make it look better for sale. Then they emptied it. They were worth every single penny of their large fee. Periodically one of my siblings would wonder if we could do more of the clearance ourselves, and I would remind them of the difficulty of getting old-fashioned furniture into a car and out again at the tip.

now I realise that the OP has been clearing a flat rather than a large property in which 'stuff' of many different kinds has accumulated over many years, but if I'd been expected to do that job with my co-executor during non-working hours and without professional assistance, I'd have handed the job over to those who thought that was a reasonable thing to do.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if it was a rented flat, there was probably a very tight timescale, perhaps as little as two weeks. Doing that without taking time off work would tax many of us, I feel.

We (my co-executor and I) charged bin bags, petrol at 45p per mile, postage and other legitimate expenses to the estate. And, of course, the full cost of the house clearance.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    It can be very frustrating when family members don't pull their relative weight.

If you see it coming there are options to reduce your time involvements.

claim the expenses to the max if they just let you get on with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure