Forumite
edited 13 September 2020 at 2:24PM in Insurance & life assurance
[deleted]

Comments

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You should complain, but also consider compromising on the standard of alternative accommodation. It's you living in the damp house, not them.
  • Are you able to look for accommodation yourself? As the previous poster said, you're the one suffering, so it makes sense if you can do something to speed things up.
    Either look yourself for somewhere that would be equivalent to what you have, or make it clear to them that you'd be prepared to go into somewhere smaller (it's only temporary, after all). Would they put you into a hotel? Could you offer to pay the extra between an equivalent house and an 'upgrade'?

I wouldn't call it penny-pinching - they have a responsibility to other clients not to pay more out on claims than is necessary.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Now you have complained and you aren't happy with the response you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication all at no cost to you
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I still think managing your own expectations might help. If you can cope in a 3/4 bedroom house why can you not cope for six months in a 2/3 bedroom house?

But that's up to you, of course. I know if I faced the prospect of winter in a damp house, six months in a hotel would definitely be an option.

As Quentin has said, if a complaint hasn't moved things on and you're still not happy, you could go the Ombudsman, which might make the insurer be more accomodating.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,765
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What Does the policy say about alternative accommodation? Mine doesnt say like for like but gives a maximum budget. If we were to insist for like for like then that budget might not cover the duration of works so we would either have to pay the extra or accept a lower standard of accomodation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure