Vehicle damaged at the College

Options
Hi all. I have a question regarding liability for a vehicle left at the college parking space.
This is not really a car park with designated spaces, only old police garages ramps, where college got ownership of the ground and decided to use it as a parking space for adult students but with permit only. We are not allowed to park inside college campus - teachers and employees only.

There are some information boards, parking ruled by parkng company, but never ever saw any body checking permits or enforcing parking regulations and like i said, no designated parking bays.

My car gor bumped into, whils I was in session, just found out after college was over. There was no detail behind the wiper and nobody contacted the security or reception.

When I went to report it, nobody bothered, they just said it is my responsibility.
There are CCTV cameras but one is not working and other is covering only college entrance.

When contacted college site manager, there was no good faith from them, everybody was saying, they are not liable. They have not moved a finger to try and get CCTV from surrounding buildings - I did and asked. Unfortunately, they were not covering my car.

I was reading a lot online about it and some said they are partially liable as parking spaces are not ran properly and seconldy, they owe the ground and gave permit to park.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe MIB?

I cant claim on my insurance as last October, uninsured driver wrote off my previous car.

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The person who is liable is the driver of the vehicle who hit you.

Your wasting your time claiming anywhere else, unless you paid to park your car in an advertised secure parking that they guarantee that no one will damage it while parked, the college wouldnt of been negligent.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Vaino wrote: »
    There are some information boards
    I bet they say parking is at your own risk.

Even if they don't, there's no responsibility on the landowner for the actions of other drivers.
    I was reading a lot online about it and some said they are partially liable as parking spaces are not ran properly and seconldy, they owe the ground and gave permit to park.
    There's a lot of people say a lot of things online. Some of them are accurate.
    I cant claim on my insurance as last October, uninsured driver wrote off my previous car.
    You can claim. But it'll make your future premiums more expensive. But, then, claiming off somebody else's policy will also do that, because the main factor that'll be taken into account is that you were involved, rather than whether the other vehicle was identified.

The only other alternative is to swallow the cost yourself or live with the damage (how bad is the damage?), and lie on every insurance quote for the next five years.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    You'll need a registration number to get assistance from the mib.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    You'll need a registration number to get assistance from the mib.
    And they generally wont deal with you if you already have comprehensive insurance in place. Makes you wonder what use they are these days.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    And they generally wont deal with you if you already have comprehensive insurance in place. Makes you wonder what use they are these days.
    They pay out when people would otherwise be out of pocket. If you have your own FC policy, then you wouldn't be.

Given that the money to do that comes from everybody else's insurance premiums, I don't find that particularly unreasonable.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The only other alternative is to swallow the cost yourself or live with the damage (how bad is the damage?), and lie on every insurance quote for the next five years.

You only have to report claims & accidents.
    Makes not mention to fixing damage yourself...
    Life in the slow lane
  • AdrianC
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    Umm, how did that damage occur...?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options
    born_again wrote: »

The full question is, accidents, claims & losses.

The OP has had a loss which is the damage to their car, but if it were me I wouldnt declare it to any insurer unless it was reported to the police and the damage logged in the "system" somewhere in the clouds.
  • Vaino
    Vaino Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the replies.
    The car damage was logged with the police as hit and run.
    I see I have no option as to repair it myself.
    Only rear offside door and wheel arch.

Looks like some one might have either reverse inot it or slamm door.
    600 worth repair, my excess is 500.

College offered no assistance at all, what so ever.

Lesson in life I suppose - count on yourself.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vaino wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the replies.
    The car damage was logged with the police as hit and run.
    I see I have no option as to repair it myself.
    Only rear offside door and wheel arch.

Looks like some one might have either reverse inot it or slamm door.
    600 worth repair, my excess is 500.

College offered no assistance at all, what so ever.

Lesson in life I suppose - count on yourself.
    If you've reported it to the rozzers I expect youve reported it to your insurers? Expect a premium jump. I would have kept it quiet personally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure