The "Save 12k in 2020" Thread!

Comments

• Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I'm not saying that I want Christmas and 2019 to hurry up and be over, but I'm so excited to start! :D

I'm not quite sure what to count and what not to count as I'm very new to having more than I comfortably need. I'm saving £100 a month for a holiday which I'll pay for beginning of next December so guess I won't count that.

The £200 in the Help-to-buy will be counted. Sadly I can't see myself being in a position to buy a family home any time soon but when the time comes that I need a smaller home maybe I'll have a decent sized deposit.

I might need to open another savings account to squirrel away my new savings. :j
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • Hello!

First time for doing this. Have just bought my first house with my partner (I’m 23 (just!) and my partner is 22 - we have a 2 year old daughter. So saving for an emergency fund is the next key thing for us.

£10,000 for me please!

Thanks!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 December 2019 at 8:41AM
    As there are so many newbies on the thread, I just wanted to suggest you subscribe to the thread. That way when you go to your UserCP page, the updates will show in bold (and if you can't see it there, you can list all your subscriptions and see it).

Subscribe to thread is under thread tools within the thread. I found thanking posts as I read is a good way of keeping up with the chat (as I can go back and see where I got to) as there are sometimes some good little tips I have picked up on here over the years.

I know there are a number of display versions but for me, User CP is under the stick men images near the top of the "page", and thread tools is in the bar immediately above the first post I can see.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Please can I join in. Just turned 50 and have a 10 year plan. For this year I'll go low but a still ambitious target of £8000. Thanks
  • EC12345
    EC12345 Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello. Please may I join. I did this challenge a few years ago. Haven't actually logged in for 2 years...... Great to see it is still going.

Please put me down for £5,000.

Good luck everyone. I'll be starting on 1 January. Planning my savings later today.
    Mortgage Free
    Save £5,000 in 2020[CENTER
    :j
  • Gandhi
    Gandhi Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Excellent thread, SF. First time joining in, but I monitored this thread through 2019 and it was great for focussing the mind. Thank you for your efforts.

Please throw me in the fire with an ambitious (but achievable) £70,000.

I’m paid in Hong Kong dollars, so I’m exposed to currency movements, but if it stays loosely where it is, it will entail me saving an average of HK$65k a month comprising retirement contributions, savings and a December bonus amortised over the year..

My motivation is more to do with ensuring my outgoings don’t continue to grow wastefully, which they have in the last couple of years. It’s been hard to pin down a figure, because we purchased a property 2.5 years ago, and various other commitments cropped up along the way. As such, I’ve based these numbers on a level of outgoings that ought to provide a nice lifestyle, but if a big expenditure month comes up (family holidays, etc), I know I need to compensate with a small one after. I think that’s where the slippage has happened, but as a fairly high earner, I’ve been inclined to shrug my shoulders and carry on as usual.

Wish me luck, and best of luck to the savers of 2020!
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I'm getting excited about my savings plans. I think I needed a way of tracking the small savings, to keep me motivated to make them.

We don't really drink so I have re gifted some alcohol presents. I've saved myself some money there and even talked myself into the cheaper gift bags as I couldn't imagine the recipients being that bothered about the designs :D so I'm £2 up on the gift bags.

I might start to save all the small amounts somewhere so I can see how they add up. That was quite motivating for me before.

I've had since nice cashback become payable so I've banked that and I'm trying to motivate myself to get back into surveys. I'm just doing swagbucks occasionally. Anyone recommend any better survey sites?
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi, I've been thinking about this for a while, and I would like to join in please.

Thought processes.
    1) What are we saving for? I'm retired working part time. Saving for the "bridge" so my wife can retire when she wants. (She is 6 years younger than me).Total required £100000.

2) Total saved end of 2019..£74000. Short 26000

3) Can we save 26k in a year. Possibly but ambitious! I doubt if she will want to stop working then, but it gives her the option.
    That's 2k per month plus 2k outstanding PPI

My wife is 60 next year, and although we have a lot planned, it's all budgeted for (except spending money, that's her department!)

So, if we don't try, we definitely won't get there, so please put us down for £26000
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • katsu wrote: »
    I've saved myself some money there and even talked myself into the cheaper gift bags as I couldn't imagine the recipients being that bothered about the designs :D so I'm £2 up on the gift bags.

I totally go along with that Katsu, as I nearly spent a ludicrous £3.50 each on gift bags in John Lewis before seeing almost identical in The Range for 75p (and they came with free gold tissue paper too). Multiply that out and it's nearly 30 quid saved. Mentally, that went straight in the "Save £12k in 2020" pot!

I'm sure the big, hairy, rugby-playing recipients won't worry about the finer details of paper quality :D (though to be fair, there's very little difference).
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • Could I join with a target of £13.4k please? I aim to put £5k of this towards an emergency fund, £2.4k into a S&S ISA and £6k towards a house deposit.

It's an ambitious figure so will involve some hard work. Confident that with a few lifestyle adjustments I can achieve it though. :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback