Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PMW
    • By PMW 15th Jan 20, 5:00 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    PMW
    Switching from BT for cheaper deal
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:00 PM
    Switching from BT for cheaper deal 15th Jan 20 at 5:00 PM
    I’ve been pondering switching Broadband and line provider for a month or so, as BT are very expensive and my current contract is about to end.

Having done the research and found cheaper deals to replace the Superfast Fibre that I currently have (TalkTalk, Plusnet, John Lewis, EE & Vodafone), am about to opt for one of these - but on checking out a public review site, they all seem to have totally nightmare reviews (in terms of outages, customer services, speed, etc.). Not sure if that’s because the only people who tend to post reviews are those who are really angry and dissatisfied, or because they really are awful.

Also, on the actual switch-over, anyone had any problems?

I’ve been with BT since the beginning of time, and they’ve generally been fine (certainly in recent years I’ve had no problems), so starting to get cold feet about switching. Does a cheaper price come with a worse service, I wonder?

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with the above providers?

Thanks.

Edited to add that I currently pay £54.99 pm for broadband and landline (with free weekend calls, which I don't really need, as I use my mobile mostly).
    Last edited by PMW; 17-01-2020 at 4:47 PM.
Page 2
    • PMW
    • By PMW 17th Jan 20, 5:09 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMW
    To those who have done it, can you nominate your switch over day?

Obviously you don't want to do it just before your contract ends (with the possibility of a termination bill - which I notice happened to someone else on these threads), but then you don't want to be billed for another month by going past the renewal date either.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 17th Jan 20, 5:11 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    couriervanman
    To those who have done it, can you nominate your switch over day?

Obviously you don't want to do it just before your contract ends (with the possibility of a termination bill - which I notice happened to someone else on these threads), but then you don't want to be billed for another month by going past the renewal date either.
    Originally posted by PMW
    Yes you can.....minimum of 14 days
    • PMW
    • By PMW 17th Jan 20, 5:35 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMW
    Wow... (to Stompa). That is some reduction! I was thinking they might just take a couple of pounds off.

It's very bad that people should have to go through this to get a reasonable price. What about all those (maybe elderly) people who don't have the confidence or know how? I know my dad hasn't got a clue even what his bill is, let alone haggling.

I also have been paying BT's high prices for decades. Big waste of money.
    • Paully28
    • By Paully28 17th Jan 20, 6:31 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Paully28
    Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Still dithering here. Had some good views on Plusnet, but then some awful ones as well. It does seem to be a bit hit and miss with various companies as to whether something goes wrong, and, as stated, it seems to be more complicated than switching energy companies. I'd hate to be without a service for a while and then encounter various problems.

Someone asked what I pay now, which is £54.99 for broadband & line rental - which is less than BT actually wanted me to pay. They've been hassling me to upgrade for ages to something I don't think I need, for an extra fiver.

They say I can renew with them to keep this fantastic low price(!) when my contract expires in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure what they'd put it up to if I don't renew.

When there are companies that charge less than half this £54.99, I can't justify continuing with this price. But, as someone said, it's worth contacting them to say I'm going to leave to see what they say.
    Originally posted by PMW
    I would negotiate as I should be paying £52.49, but pay £23.99 after my discount for Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited Broadband and Calls.
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 17th Jan 20, 6:39 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    littleboo
    Wow... (to Stompa). That is some reduction! I was thinking they might just take a couple of pounds off.

It's very bad that people should have to go through this to get a reasonable price. What about all those (maybe elderly) people who don't have the confidence or know how? I know my dad hasn't got a clue even what his bill is, let alone haggling.

I also have been paying BT's high prices for decades. Big waste of money.
    Originally posted by PMW
    Gas, electricity, motor insurance, home insurance, pay TV, broadband, phone. All services which you will be penalised for over time unless you renegotiate or switch. Those that do benefit at the expense of those that donít, which is great for those that do.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 17th Jan 20, 6:41 PM
    • 7,929 Posts
    • 3,949 Thanks
    Stompa
    Originally posted by PMW
    Yes, I was amazed. This is how it worked for me:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=76279242&postcount=30
    Stompa
    • PMW
    • By PMW 17th Jan 20, 8:53 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMW
    Very interesting that it took two or three conversations to get the price right down. I have a vague recollection of liaising with them about my contract renewal a few years ago, and they came up with a deal that was about £2 less than what I was paying, which is why I never thought they would come down so much.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 18th Jan 20, 10:38 AM
    • 7,929 Posts
    • 3,949 Thanks
    Stompa
    Very interesting that it took two or three conversations to get the price right down. I have a vague recollection of liaising with them about my contract renewal a few years ago, and they came up with a deal that was about £2 less than what I was paying, which is why I never thought they would come down so much.
    Originally posted by PMW
    The impression I got in that final call is that they have deals on their computer that have been specifically tailored just for you, which are based on your previous usage etc.
    Stompa
    • dla17
    • By dla17 19th Jan 20, 3:28 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dla17
    I recently renewed my contract with BT. I did it all online, in reply to an e-mail from them, without any haggling, and ended up paying less.

I went from £28.98 for Superfast Fibre 1, including anytime calls, to £25.50, including 500 minutes of anytime calls, including to mobiles, plus I got a £50 Mastercard which is equivalent to another £2 off on a 24 month contract.
    I daresay I could possibly have got something better if I'd spoken to them, but for no hassle etc, I'm happy.
    I also got the latest Smart Hub for £9.99 postage. My speed which had been fluctuating considerably with the Home Hub 5, has settled to an improved 25% faster.

About 2 weeks later, my broadband was crawling, I phoned and spoke to a very helpful and efficient lady, who by her accent was in the South of Ireland, and she eventually reset my Smart Hub from her end, and I resumed my new 25% faster broadband.
    Last edited by dla17; 19-01-2020 at 3:30 AM. Reason: mistake
    • wild666
    • By wild666 20th Jan 20, 7:14 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    wild666
    The best time I have found to leave any supplier is when they increase their prices, if they raise them by more than the rate of inflation then the ombudsman will frown upon them as no increase should be above the rate of inflation that's how I got out of a £250 bill when I dumped BT in 2016
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • PMW
    • By PMW 20th Jan 20, 7:15 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMW
    That's interesting (dla). Just goes to show how arbitrary it is. They have been repeatedly asking me to renew my Superfast Broadband 1 for the same fee I've been on for ages: £54.99 (as supposedly some big concession - rather than an increase). I definitely haven't paid anything under £50 for a long time. There's no suggestion anywhere that there will be any type of reduction - just a yes or no to this.

I haven't got around to contacting them yet, but am thinking I will have an online "chat" with them, telling them I'm about to leave, and then, hoping they give me an equivalent offer to others.
    • JGB1955
    • By JGB1955 20th Jan 20, 7:19 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    JGB1955
    We pay for our landline in advance, then £10 a month for Superfast broadband and evening and weekend calls. If your overall cost is more than £30, you’re paying far too much.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £126/366
    • PMW
    • By PMW 20th Jan 20, 7:57 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMW
    We pay for our landline in advance, then £10 a month for Superfast broadband and evening and weekend calls. If your overall cost is more than £30, youíre paying far too much.
    Originally posted by JGB1955
    Who is that with please?

(Can't believe I've been overpaying by so much for *years*!)
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 20th Jan 20, 8:00 PM
    • 4,110 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    AndyPK
    From March bt sky and talktalk will permit existing customers to get new customer prices.

So if they don’t offer you a good deal, don’t change anything ( you don’t want to be locked in at a bad price for 12 months)
    See what they do in March.
    • PMW
    • By PMW 20th Jan 20, 8:07 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PMW
    From March bt sky and talktalk will permit existing customers to get new customer prices.

So if they donít offer you a good deal, donít change anything ( you donít want to be locked in at a bad price for 12 months)
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Thanks. Wasn't aware of that at all, but just seen it in writing. It is such a palaver to have to keep moving around all the time. Much more complicated than fuel company switching, so that will be a very good thing.
    • Al Ross
    • By Al Ross 20th Jan 20, 8:15 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Al Ross

So if they donít offer you a good deal, donít change anything ( you donít want to be locked in at a bad price for 12 months)
    Originally posted by AndyPK

B.T's new contract will most likely be 24 months.
    • JGB1955
    • By JGB1955 20th Jan 20, 8:26 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    JGB1955

We pay for our landline in advance, then £10 a month for Superfast broadband and evening and weekend calls. If your overall cost is more than £30, you’re paying far too much.
    Originally posted by JGB1955
    ”Who is that with please?

(Can't believe I've been overpaying by so much for *years*!)

We're with BT...
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £126/366
    • KathysBoy
    • By KathysBoy 20th Jan 20, 8:57 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    KathysBoy
    I’m with BT. When it was due for renewal this time last year, I called them and they quoted £28.99 inc line rental for 18 months. I said I was leaving because I could get Sky for £20.99, so she offered me £20.99. This was for normal broadband (17mb) as this was all that was available at my address. About 2 months later I moved house and at the new property Superfast Fibre (47mb) was available which they gave me at the same price for renewing for 18 months.

I’ve just checked my latest offer, which Superfast Fibre 2, for an extra £2 a month, with contract renewal for 24 months. I think this is a pretty good deal. Added bonus is that I have BT SIM card, so I get an extra £5 off.
    • Shoreheat
    • By Shoreheat 22nd Jan 20, 2:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Shoreheat
    Virgin Media
    Have just signed up for switch to current VM deal ending this Week. (100mbs upload speed for £25 per month on a 12 month contract including phone line with introductory £75 credit. I went through the sign up process online but didnít click to purchase as I needed to check something with BT. VM called me to ask if I would be switching and I said that as I had a number of months left on current BT contract and would have around £100 in early Exit fees to pay I wasnít going to switch. VM offered to give me an additional £100 credit to cover the early Exit fees, so I have signed up. Got the commitment to the extra £100 in writing that was on top of the £75 credit. Just awaiting installation now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,152Posts Today

8,569Users online

Martin's Twitter