IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

County court claim for parking please help

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 June 2017 at 9:05PM
    Options
    So we are asking you to look for them - no links. I gave you their usernames 3 days ago. 'Members list' is at the top.

You need to learn how to use the forum, look at the tabs along the top (just above the thread, NOT right at the top of the entire page), find those members and click on their names.

We ask this deliberately, to help you, as you must be confident with navigating the forum if you are to get best use of it. You can't sit on a thread and ask for links, it doesn't help you research this and use the forum well.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • caminch1993
    caminch1993 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl: thanks, as you can tell im new to this website!!
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    So are most of the people we help here.

It's really important that newbies get up to speed with how to search the forum - have a little play with the tabs just above the threads (not at the top of the entire page) and see what you can find by searching for a keyword, or for a member's username. Test them, see where it leads, what it shows you.

Search one word in the search box (UKPC, for example) & change to 'show posts' and you'll find loads of threads like yours.

Search the members list too. You then click on their name, to see their threads. You can even look yourself up.
  • caminch1993
    Options
    My new drafted defence..... any tips or advice, additions or removals would be helpful and appreciated!!!

Between:
    UK PARKING CONTROLS
    V
    CAMERON INCH

I, CAMERON INCH, deny I am liable to the Claimant for the entirety of the claim for each of the following reasons:

1. This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol. And as an example as to why this prevents a full defence being filed at this time, a parking charge can be for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge. All these are treated differently in law and require a different defence. The wording of any contract will naturally be a key element in this matter, and a copy of the alleged contract has never been provided to the Defendant.

(a) There was no compliant ‘Letter before County Court Claim’, under the Practice Direction.

(b) This is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical 'draft particulars'. The badly mail-merged documents contain very little information.

(c) The Schedule of information is sparse of detailed information.

(d) The Claim Form Particulars were extremely sparse and divulged no cause of action nor sufficient detail. The Defendant has no idea what the claim is about - what the alleged contract was; nothing that could be considered a fair exchange of information. The Claim Form Particulars did not contain any evidence of contravention or photographs.

2. In the absence of any proof of adequate signage that contractually bound the Defendant then there can have been no contract and the Claimant has no case.

(a)The claimant’s notices attempt to make a forbidding offer, (evidence photo 1) which isn’t an offer at all therefore no contract exists. The claimant’s notices clearly state no unauthorised parking therefore there is no offer of a contract for those who are supposedly unauthorised and therefore no contract.

(b) The second of the claimants notices states (evidence photo 2) “ Private Road Parking for residents of St. Michaels Park ONLY”. This notice indicates to me that I as a resident of St Michaels Park, am authorised to park here. The presence of the claimant on the land will have supposedly been to prevent parking by uninvited persons, for the benefit of the actual leaseholders (MYSELF). Instead a predatory operation has been carried out on the very people whose interests the claimant was there to uphold. I have attached a copy of my lease for your interest.
    How Is anybody meant to fully understand what these contradictory signs actually mean.I note that any ambiguity in contractual agreements must be interpreted in the way that favours the consumer.

(c) NO ENTRANCE SIGNS

3. The Assured Shorthold Tenancy (Attached as evidence)
    (a) There is no agreement within this assured shorthold tenancy contract that states I have to display a parking permit, pay for a ticket or pay penalties to a third party for non display. Primacy of contract cannot be amended by PPC signs unless I have agreed to a variation of the tenancy, which clearly I have not.

(b)Point 7(a)(i) of the tenancy agreement states: “The Tenant may hold and enjoy the Property during the Tenancy without any unlawful interference by the Landlord or any person acting on his behalf.” The aggressive business approach and unwarranted threat of court and debt collectors that has been issued to me from UKPC has caused me much distress and discomfort within this tenancy.

4. I, The Defendant therefore believe that these charges are not valid and my personal details have been obtained unlawfully by the claimant in this case and I ask that the court does not assist the claimant to benefit from a wrongdoing.

5. The Claimant has brought a claim that discloses no cause of action. The defendant has the reasonable belief that the claimant is abusing the court process by using the threat of action and the threat of damaging the Defendants credit rating to alarm the Defendant into making a payment that is not owed.

6. It is believed UKPC do not hold a legitimate contract at this car park. As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner.

7. The defendant therefore asks for the court to strike out the claim as having no reasonable prospect of success as currently drafted.

(a) Alternatively, the Defendant asks that the Claimant is required to file Particulars which comply with Practice Directions and include at least the following information;

i. Whether the matter is being brought for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge, and an explanation as to the exact nature of the charge

ii. A copy of any contract it is alleged was in place (e.g. copies of signage)

iii. How any contract was concluded (if by performance, then copies of signage maps in place at the time)

vi. If charges over and above the initial charge are being claimed, the basis on which this is being claimed

vii. 5. The Claimant is put to strict proof that at the time of the alleged event they had both advertisement consent and the permission from the site owner to display the signs. In the absence of strict proof I submit that the Claimant was committing an offence by displaying their signs and therefore no contract could have been entered into between the driver and the Claimant. 

b) Once these Particulars have been filed, the Defendant asks for reasonable time to file another defence.
    I am clearly entitled to this information under paragraphs 6(a) and 6(c) of the Practice Direction. I also need it in order to comply with my own obligations under paragraph 6(b).

I confirm that the above facts and statements are true to the best of my knowledge and recollection.
  • caminch1993
    Options
    Point 2(C) i need to elaborate on.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    UK PARKING CONTROLS

should be

UK PARKING CONTROL Ltd

And you don't attach any evidence at this stage - you mention it all but actually file it later, nearer to a few weeks before the hearing date.
    3. The Assured Shorthold Tenancy (Attached as evidence)
    Point 2(C) i need to elaborate on.
    Just add that private land where a BPA member operates, is subject to the Code of Practice which sets out signage requirements, including entrance signs to tell a driver that a location is private land and is managed/enforced by a BPA member.

The main thing you are missing, is mention of Jopson v Home Guard, PACE v Noor and Link v Parkinson, as easily found in other defences here, by searching for any one of those unusual keywords. You have mentioned your primacy of contract and tenancy agreement (good) but I would also adduce some case law and other county court decisions that you will later put forward as part of your evidence exhibits.
  • caminch1993
    Options
    ive had a response from SCS Law that states, the claimant is proceeding with the claim.. this now has me worried..shall i settle with them?
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Any ambiguity in contractual agreements must be interpreted in the way that most favours the consumer. This is trite law.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra_proferentem
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 20 July 2017 at 9:25PM
    Options
    OMG, just because they sent their template acknowledgement, you are spooked? What did you think they would say ''oh sorry, we've cancelled it, and here's a cheap box of chocs from a local petrol station as an apology, Mr Inch''?

Forget it, crack on, perhaps you need to re-read the NEWBIES thread. Why did you defend...think about it...not to fold the next time you see a template letter. Man up (please) this is worth fighting.
  • caminch1993
    Options
    Thnk u Coupon for your help! My case has been transferred to local court so am now just awaiting court date. its much appreciated. Please if you could stay on my thread and help me beat these!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure