Passport countersign problem!

Comments

• smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Are you entitled to an Irish or British passport? You don't just email the authorities and ask for a passport. You have to be a citizen of that country and apply to the passport office with your proof of citizenship
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Widelats wrote: »
    Wrong! I saw a young man getting on the plane in front of me with a driving licence, i do not know how he did it but he was on that plane and landed in Edinburgh same as me.

If someone can not get a countersigner, of the high standing kind, it means they are trapped in the UK? I do not believe the high standing countersigning is necessary anymore, and i would like to know what is the facts here as i plan to leave the UK very very soon on my legal rights to go to Europe unhindered, but, it seems that information and facts are missing as i can not find any, i don't want to come back here to UK and i want an Irish passport, but even the Irish authorities do not reply to emails.

Its the people who are clueless, i am sure the rules exist somewhere but how to get the facts i have no clue, i believe the UK authorities would do the same as the Irish and ignore enquiries if i asked them.

As the post above said where were you flying from? You also state you don't have a passport so what identification did you show?. It seems strange that you would mention how someone in front of you got onto the plane without a passport but not how you did?.

Also i don't really think it's difficult to find someone to countersign a passport. I've actually done one for someone a couple of years ago and looking at the list there are alot of professions on there.
  • JJG
    JJG Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    takman wrote: »
    As the post above said where were you flying from? You also state you don't have a passport so what identification did you show?. It seems strange that you would mention how someone in front of you got onto the plane without a passport but not how you did?.

Also i don't really think it's difficult to find someone to countersign a passport. I've actually done one for someone a couple of years ago and looking at the list there are alot of professions on there.

EU citizens (currently) can travel to the UK with a national ID card and not a passport. The UK drivers license however doesn't comply with the National ID card requirements.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think I'd take the word of Gov.uk over some random acquaintance when it comes to being a countersignatory.
    https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I've often wondered how exactly the list of who can countersign a passport application was decided on.
    Your dentist or chiropodist can sign but unless your doctor knows you personally as a friend, they can't.

You can also sign if you are the director or manager of a limited company and considering such a company can be set up for as little as £10, this doesn't really prove much at all.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I've often wondered how exactly the list of who can countersign a passport application was decided on.
    Your dentist or chiropodist can sign but unless your doctor knows you personally as a friend, they can't.

You can also sign if you are the director or manager of a limited company and considering such a company can be set up for as little as £10, this doesn't really prove much at all.

Where did you read that?
  • Where did you read that?
    https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories
    People who aren’t accepted

Your countersignatory can’t:
    work for HM Passport Office
    be a doctor, unless they state that they know you well (eg good friend) and that they recognise you easily from your photo
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!

so unless they state they know you well? That doesn't mean you have to be friends with them, That was an example, I would know my doctor very well but wouldn't class him as a friend, and he signed both my passport and driving licence
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Widelats wrote: »
    Wrong! I saw a young man getting on the plane in front of me with a driving licence, i do not know how he did it but he was on that plane and landed in Edinburgh same as me.

If someone can not get a countersigner, of the high standing kind, it means they are trapped in the UK? I do not believe the high standing countersigning is necessary anymore, and i would like to know what is the facts here as i plan to leave the UK very very soon on my legal rights to go to Europe unhindered, but, it seems that information and facts are missing as i can not find any, i don't want to come back here to UK and i want an Irish passport, but even the Irish authorities do not reply to emails.

Its the people who are clueless, i am sure the rules exist somewhere but how to get the facts i have no clue, i believe the UK authorities would do the same as the Irish and ignore enquiries if i asked them.
    Widelats, In regard to getting an Irish passport you firstly need to be an Irish Citizen which with Brexit can take up to a year if you are entitled (through having a grandparent born in Ireland) to register as a foreign birth.

You have automatic citizenship if you were born in Ireland or have a parent who was born in Ireland (you need your docs and your parents if they were born in Ireland to accompany your passport application). Your passport photos and section 8 can be witnessed by a Police officer, member of clergy. Medical Dr, nurse, pharmacist, dentist, vet, lawyer, bank officials, MP or local county Councillor, social worker, teacher, lecturer or accountant.
    https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great-britain/passports/

For Irish citizenship if you have an Irish grandparent then you register as a foreign birth. (online for 278 euros and send off all the required docs). The list of those who can countersign is limited to Member of the Clergy, Medical Doctor, School Principle, Bank Manager,Solicitor/Lawyer
    Police Officer,Magistrate/Judge.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/
  • so unless they state they know you well?

The list contains "Examples of recognised professions" so doesn't contain other professions that are also recognised.

My favourite one is when it states "personally known to you". I can introduce myself to someone and from that point they know me personally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure