Help me get some perspective

Comments

• justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Dying is not something our western brain can cope with well. So my guess is there could be head in the sand chilled approach or a complete emotional meltdown when the reality dawns on one while making necessary preparations depending on a day you catch them. You sound very emotional and somehow blaming some friend for your friend feeling bad. She does not feel bad because of what whoever said, she feels bad because she is facing death! May be addressing practicalities is what made a shift in her mood.
    Death is a big thing for a mind to cope, no need to add anger into it.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Whilst extremely unprofessional of this woman to pass comment when she has no access to her medical records and has nothing to do with her care, it doesn't sound as if it were said with malice.

Perhaps you could help your friend by encouraging her to contact her own medical team who know her and her case very well for reassurance that they are being honest with her. I would hate to think of this poor lady waking up every morning for the next few months thinking today could be her last when in fact she has a lot longer based on the careless words of this person who was not qualified to pass comment on her individual circnmstances.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It was wildly inappropriate and unprofessional, and I think it is highly unlikely that your friend's doctor or othre medical professionals are lying to her.

Since she is clearly upset and affected by it, I would sugggest to her that she speak to her own doctor, explain explicitly hat was said and ask whether they can clarify what they think and why, to put her mind at rest.

I would also remind her that her 'friend' does not have access to her medical records or details and, particuarlly as she is not practicing, is unlikely to have up to date information about the condition or current treatments.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Going against the grain but it seems perfectly reasonable to me if said in the right way and well intentioned.

If indeed it is a median given, then perhaps as a nurse she sees people regularly caught unaware when their condition deteriorates. She's simply advising, that it would be sensible to consider the ultimate care they'll need and their preferences now, when they are able so that it's not an issue for them or family at a time where the focus will be on other things.

It may also be that prompt to not have a false sense of time if they were holding back on doing something they really wanted or saying something to a loved one.

Yes, its resulted in a lower mood, but if she is right and they've potentially got less time, then I would expect a person who sorted things earlier may be quite grateful of the impact when the time does come.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    The nurse in question was not dealing with the friend in a professional capacity hence calling her "unprofessional " is incorrect.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    However I'd perhaps suggest (in a subtle manner) that doctors are far more qualified & experienced to advise on her condition than nurses are (not trying to downplay nurses, they do a great job but its like a 3rd year law student thinking they know better than the countrys top QCs).

Sorry, this is not quite on the topic but I just feel I have to correct this misconception.

Nurses work in similar environments, but they are not just junior versions of doctors, its an entirely different profession with different skill sets.

A senior nurse with many years of experience in palliative care or oncology would be an expert and would have a much greater understanding of issues relating to that area than a doctor who has spent most of his career in say orthopaedics or dermatology.

I'm not saying that the nurse in this case acted correctly, its impossible to say from a third hand account and it does sound like she was insensitive at best and harmful at worst, but your post displays a common misunderstanding.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry, this is not quite on the topic but I just feel I have to correct this misconception.

Nurses work in similar environments, but they are not just junior versions of doctors, its an entirely different profession with different skill sets.

A senior nurse with many years of experience in palliative care or oncology would be an expert and would have a much greater understanding of issues relating to that area than a doctor who has spent most of his career in say orthopaedics or dermatology.

I'm not saying that the nurse in this case acted correctly, its impossible to say from a third hand account and it does sound like she was insensitive at best and harmful at worst, but your post displays a common misunderstanding.

Apologies, that was not the intention of my post (which is why I said I wasn't trying to downplay nurses or the job they do).

Generally I would agree with you - indeed there are things nurses can do better than doctors. But in these specific circumstances the most reliable advice is that which comes from her doctor who is actually providing her care and not a nurse who has no professional connection to it (ignoring the fact the doctor will be experienced in that field where this nurse may not be).

However, I suspect that rather than the nurse disagreeing with what the doctor has said, he/she has perhaps been trying to highlight that being given 6 months (for example) to live, doesn't mean those 6 months will have a good quality of life where she will be able to go on cruises/fulfil her bucket list.

If he/she was actually disagreeing with the doctor with either no relevant experience/medical records of the patients condition then imo that is certainly unprofessional of them and I'd be uneasy receiving any health care or advice from such an individual.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My experience is that the NHS will only be very frank with a patient about life expectancy, if the patient asks them to be. Most patients are not able to deal with the frank approach.
  • One of them who is a nurse but not practicing, took her to one side and told her that the time frame was just the hospital being kind and that she must know that it would actually be "months" and that she should give thought to getting a hospice place as she didn't want to be a burden on her husband and kids.

It's certainly not unheard of for nurses to have a nasty streak. Thank goodness she's no longer practising. I think it's an awful thing to say to a friend, whether true or not.
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • Poppy3008
    Poppy3008 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's certainly not unheard of for nurses to have a nasty streak. Thank goodness she's no longer practising. I think it's an awful thing to say to a friend, whether true or not.
    Excuse me? As a nurse I object! It's not unheard of for ANYONE to have a nasty streak! What a ridiculous thing to say!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure