PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 March 2017 at 11:10AM
    Options
    I do try to create new food all the time... not massively different, but not all the same. e.g. having mushy peas with fish fingers/chips one day - and baked beans the next :) The Earth won't move.

I'm torn today .... it's either a bean lasagne, or a welsh rarebit.

Lasagne will get some of the lasagne sheets used up. Unopened packet since about 2013. The rarebit will use one of four big/wide "floppy/big" white bread rolls I bought/froze the other week - and I do have the final squeak of milk to use up .... so Welsh rarebit might win. It won't be a full rarebit as I won't use a yolk and have no mustard... but I've got everything else.

These are items on the "List of food I used to make and should make again".
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do try to create new food all the time... not massively different, but not all the same. e.g. having mushy peas with fish fingers/chips one day - and baked beans the next :) The Earth won't move.

Lasagne will get some of the lasagne sheets used up. Unopened packet since about 2013. The rarebit will use one of four big/wide "floppy/big" white bread rolls I bought/froze the other week - and I do have the final squeak of milk to use up .... so Welsh rarebit might win. It won't be a full rarebit as I won't use a yolk and have no mustard... but I've got everything else.

These are items on the "List of food I used to make and should make again".

Welsh rarebit would get my vote :drool:
  • PasturesNew
    edited 24 March 2017 at 11:27AM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Welsh rarebit would get my vote

Well .... I wandered over to the what's for dinner thread.... and there's somebody on there who has TWO dinners/day... so I am toying with the idea of making both today :)

I think rarebit'll be done first as it will be the tastier of the two dishes I think.

EDIT: Having decided that, I then realised that both were to be made to use up the last of the milk - so there's not enough milk to make both.... so it'll be rarebit and I took one bread roll from the freezer, then looked at it and thought ... "I bet I'll make too much sauce for one", so removed a 2nd roll in case..... so it might be four halves of rolls with rarebit ... have to see how the sauce makes up. Until I've made it I won't know how much I've got.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

".

Welsh rarebit gets my vote..in fact I'm going to have some too. I need to go to the SM soon so that is what is now on my 'list' :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    OMG that was gorgeous! I made just enough to cover two halves of bread roll ....

The trouble is you forget how fabulous some food tastes and don't get round to making it!

I've got enough milk left over to knock up a bean lasagne too ... so might do that in a bit.

Maybe I should make a rarebit & bean lasagne, using rarebit sauce as the topping! That'd be a winner I bet!
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Mmm rarebit lasagne sounds delicious PN.

I've had a rubbish few days, depression seems to be settling in after lurking for a few months. I changed my anti depressant last year on the advice of my rheumatologist which was a mistake.

But I'm doing my best today, 'breakfast' half an hour ago was an avocado, banana and cup of milk. I realised that when I've been binging on cereal it's actually the milk I'm craving, so I'm just not bothering with the cereal anymore.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • caronc
    Options
    PN - Rarebit lasagne definitely sounds well worth trying;)
    Ames - hope you are over the worst:)

After an early breakfast my tummy was looking for an earlier lunch :o I had right hodge podge but it was much tastier than it sounds: sardines mashed with hot pepper sauce on toast topped with the scant spoonful of lurking cottage cheese and lots of black pepper followed by a very juicy pear :D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    . and part-bakeds were one of my "things" 3-4 years ago. I was getting through a couple of 2-packs of baguettes each week. I made a lot of pizza bases with them,

They're really an under-rated and under-used product imho.

They keep for months ... way beyond the date on the packet - and are fast and tasty.

2p max electricity to heat/cook them too with the little toaster oven :)

PN, care to tell how you use to make pizza base, is it just simple as slice lengthways, top & bake?

Or bake first, then top, sort of cheese on toast in the oven style?

back to CFO, and yet another breakfast banana, more yellow than black today

Lunch was the remaining BIY baguette, with mayo & bacon inside, should have had a sliced tomato in there but I forgot to add it, so it was served with a side salad of sliced tomato :o

Tonight is a YS Smart Price bacon & cheese flan, 1/2 of it any way, with oven chips because I can do both on the same tray in the oven, and push the boat out with 1/2 tin of baked beans,

The other half of the beans will have to hang around in the fridge because I bought a M &S meal for two for a tenner, not just any old chicken & ham pies, but M & S ones. Had them before and they are gorgeous
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    PN, care to tell how you use to make pizza base, is it just simple as slice lengthways, top & bake?

Or bake first, then top, sort of cheese on toast in the oven style?

back to CFO, and yet another breakfast banana, more yellow than black today

Lunch was the remaining BIY baguette, with mayo & bacon inside, should have had a sliced tomato in there but I forgot to add it, so it was served with a side salad of sliced tomato :o

Tonight is a YS Smart Price bacon & cheese flan, 1/2 of it any way, with oven chips because I can do both on the same tray in the oven, and push the boat out with 1/2 tin of baked beans,

The other half of the beans will have to hang around in the fridge because I bought a M &S meal for two for a tenner, not just any old chicken & ham pies, but M & S ones. Had them before and they are gorgeous

M&S pies you are showing off now :D That said I find their "Meal for £10" deals pretty decent as is the selection meat/fish in their 3 for £10 range - if only they delivered! When my son was home last weekend he picked up a pack of Southern Fried chicken portions, 2 salmon fillets and a whole chook for £10. We ate 2/3 of the SF chicken last Friday so one portion is in the freezer, I had one of the salmon fillets during the week and the wings off of the chicken another. I jointed the chook and froze four portions and made stock from the chicken back. The stock will make around 6 portions of soup so 10 meat portions and 6 soup for a tenner feels fairly economical despite it being "M&S"....:)
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I like M&S. Their cooked chickens have as much meat on a half portion as 'normal' supermarkets have one a whole one, and when I'm ill their their ready meals are nearly always on three for a tenner, so no dearer than most supermarket ones but far better quality.

Their fruit seems expensive, but it's worth it for the higher quality - they're not as tasteless as most supermarkets, and they do really nice fruit salads.

If I get a meal for a tenner (from anywhere) though I end up having the main one day and the side another.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure