Hugglemonster's debt free diary

hugglemonster
hugglemonster Posts: 1,244 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 11 August 2016 at 4:14AM in Debt free diaries
Hi all welcome to my diary - edited due to similarities with a fellow user which looked a bit strange :o

Anyway... I have a few bits of debt that I just need to get rid of and a house that is in need of repair, along with plans for the future involving lots of trips with hubby and the kids. The debt is manageable on a monthly basis but we have slipped recently with our spending so need to get back on top of it and get rid asap.

I am good at various aspects of money saving i.e. using vouchers, cashback sites, doing surveys etc but have neglected the food menu and shopping list which is our biggest spends area. I'm not going to do an SOA as I already have one written and I know the areas that need addressing.

Today has been good, I've researched home insurance and got a reduction of £2 per month and cashback of £30, printed off some vouchers and we have eaten at home from food we batch cooked at the weekend. Lots of washing done and mostly dried outside plus some on the airer.

Not so good lurking in the background is that we are currently without a car (using hire car from insurance comp) as some dingbat drove into the back of me a few weeks ago and we are still waiting for payment so we can get a different one (ours was a write off), we know what we want and payments will be similar to what we have been paying for a bigger car that will be ideal for our needs. I know getting finance for car isn't good but we had such a rotten car before and I need a reliable one for work so that's our luxury.

I have paid one small debt of £100 off today which is a little boost and have plans for the rest but equally we need to put some money into things around the house that need sorting, therefore I have two lists; Debt, and Savings

Debt:
Computer £646.52
Overdraft 1 £1100
Overdraft 2 £1500
Credit card £2200
Car - not even going there at the mo!

Savings/to buy:
Skip - to clear rubbish from 'The Great Big Declutterathon'
Carpet for dd bedroom
Curtains and curtain pole for dd bedroom plus new drill
dd new school uniform as going to High School in September
dd and ds school shoes
ds birthday (August)
bark chippings for back garden areas

There is much, much more to save for and buy but this is my current list, so on the debt front I will be concentrating on the computer first as this is the smallest amount and then will snowball the monthly payments.

Thanks for reading, wish me luck and hard work begins now.

Hugglemonster x

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Ha ha just seen we picked very similar debt diary names.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • hugglemonster
    Oops, my kids have been watching the films over the weekend definitely Stars Wars fans in this house!
  • Bobarella
    Aww well great minds think alike hey :) good luck with your situation.

• hugglemonster
    Edited first post and title, looked a bit weird being almost the same.

Right back to sleep!
  • Bobarella
    That was very thoughtful of you especially as your diary came first. Am now wondering if my subconcious 'saw' it.

• hugglemonster
    I am emerging from a mountain of washing, last two loads are on the line and many items put away. I've been checking what the kids need for school, ds is fine apart from new shoes but as dd needs all new uniform this is going to cost. I've been on to the shop's website where we have to buy it and done a rough calculation of the uniform, so far it's about £75 and still PE shorts and new shoes to add. The main cost are the trousers, everything including the trousers have to have the school logo on and they are £20.50 a pair! I'm all for seeing the kids in their nice smart clothes but on the trousers is stretching it a bit far, and they are strict. :mad:

I have updated banking this morning, requested a small payout from TCB of £5.43 which will be transfered to savings, ds and I have been to Post Office, s-i-l to be has a birthday on Thursday and I had a spare voucher so have sent that with a dd homemade card, and Library.

I'm working this evening so will do main meal at lunch time for me and the kids then dh can do a snack for tea.

Two small areas of the house need decluttering and tidying then hopefully a few things to sell.

1poll edging closer to payout and some surveys done too.

Hugglemonster!
  • Bobarella
    Kids clothes are so expensive arent they.

• Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hiya Hugglemonster! Good luck on your DF journey x

I agree with Bob that kids are very expensive. I've got my skids staying for a good chunk of the school holibobs and DSS is 17 and eats like a horse :eek: However, his size and strength makes him a good [STRIKE]slave[/STRIKE] helper while he's here :rotfl:
  • hugglemonster
    Yep they just don't stop eating and growing despite me asking them several times :D

Another busy day, a full day in the office in one job and then a late visit as part of my other job. I work 5-6 days between both jobs but my second job requires a lot of evenings and weekends so I can do both on the same day on occasion. Still it all builds up the pennies.

Had a great time booking some free workshops with the kids yesterday, they are going to 2 workshops with animals @ home next week - one session is focused on small furry animals and the second with scales and fishes! Then a couple of weeks time they have an hour session with a leading bike store looking at how to look after your bike. Brilliant, the kids are really excited.

Not much happening today in terms of finances, dh payday not until Monday so ticking along and just checked on banking only a couple of direct debits to go out before then. A few surveys done and that's about it, no spend day and food eaten from home.

All very boring really but that's good.

Hugglemonster
  • Bobarella
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    Hiya Hugglemonster! Good luck on your DF journey x

I agree with Bob that kids are very expensive. I've got my skids staying for a good chunk of the school holibobs and DSS is 17 and eats like a horse :eek: However, his size and strength makes him a good [STRIKE]slave[/STRIKE] helper while he's here :rotfl:

Upsides Dizzy :rotfl:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport