It's not a lot, but it's enough

Comments

• It's the last working day of the month which means my standing orders officially come out of my bank. One of my saving accounts now has over £1,000 in it. A new milestone for me and I feel a sense of accomplishment. Long way to go yet though.

Loaded with the cold and if it stays like this tomorrow I think I'll have a quiet Hogmanay in the house, which is good on an MSE front I suppose. However I am working tomorrow so I'm hoping I feel a bit sharper.
  • Look at that - you've gone from being in debt to £1000 of savings in less than a year. Fantastic achievement.
    Hope you feel better soon as well...
    PS - how did you guess? I will be 21 and a few months next year... :D
  • CP2016
    CP2016 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Well done - the hard work has paid off big time, and you got your act together so young too, all that lovely debt free life stretched out in front of you. I was 21 and quite a few months before I had my LBM.

Have a great 2017 from a fellow YNABBER - just sorting my January budget now.
    “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”
    Wiliam Morris
  • Hey CP.

Yeah there was a guy who posted up here for the first time last night and he was 21 asking for help and I explained to him it's a fantastic thing that he has his LBM at a young age. It's really life changing. They way I now look at my finances has completely changed - for the better.

Is it just me, or is budgeting in YNAB really enjoyable? I think I get satisfaction in being organised and sensible.
  • CP2016
    It certainly helps with the organised, not sure I've managed the sensible yet though. I have my category titles with things like "Games - sweep to new bed". That means, "yeah sure, there's a tenner if you want to buy game points but if you don't that tenner will go towards your new bed - so what's it gonna be punk?". For me, there's a bigger psychological win in budgeting a tenner for gaming then not spending it than there is in just budgeting it straight to the new bed. It's the little wins like choosing not to buy those game points that make me happy.
    “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”
    Wiliam Morris
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi speky!

Love your goals I am stealing your format! Think 2017 is going to be an even better year for you :)
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • CP - Hmmmmmm very interesting. Good way to think about it and it actually sounds like something that would appeal to me. I'll give it some thought.

JVR - By all means, steal away. I've a good feeling too and I hope that positivity rubs off and your 2017 is a cracker!
  • CP2016
    Oh I'm sure you're sensible enough not to need to do daft things like that.:) But, tomorrow I'll be sweeping the £7.51 that's left of my gaming tenner into savings and feeling more pleased with myself than if I'd allocated it to savings on the first of the month.
    Wiliam Morris
  • Happy new year one and all.

Had a great time bringing int the new year with friends and new years day was with family. Wonderful start to 2017.

I'm off work today and tomorrow with not much planned really which is ideal really as I have a busy few months ahead in work so I'll take little to no holidays so I'm making the most of it.

My plan for today is double check YNAB and all accounts are matching, drop off some clothes to the charity shop, pick up my contact lenses and visit M&S to pick up my trousers I bought in the sales with a gift voucher I got at Xmas.

Today will also mark my 2nd NSD of the month and I need to watch the pennies this month given that I upped my savings.

Anyway, about to make some french toast and get on with the day. All the best once again.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Happy New Year, I hope it's every bit as fabulous as your plans.
    Make sure you have some fun too - you're only young once.
    Joey
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£335.00 (67%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£065.00 (14%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport