Ryanair flight cancellation ?

OK my wife and I booked flights to pisa weeks ago to go tomorrow morning on 8th may, got a message saying ryanair have cansilled our flights so we can rebook and reroute 2 to 3 days later or get a refund...

Where do we stand now that ryanair have cansilled our flights meaning we have to have extra costs of car rental being moved to Rome (as Rome was the only flight within 2 days of the cansilled flight so we rerouted to Rome 2 n half days later )

PLUS of course our holiday is shorter now by almost 3 days as 1st flight was in the morning but Rome will be evening time 2 days later. So effectively we've lost 3 days,,,
So can we claim lost days paid for the car rental and rerouting of car pickup and lost days for our apartment?

One more question is the ryanair agent said the cansillation was due to an air traffic controll strike at pisa, but he would say that I think if he works for ryanair so how can I check that fact out as I don't trust them to be honest ?

What do you think I should or could do

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jez33 wrote: »
    OK my wife and I booked flights to pisa weeks ago to go tomorrow morning on 8th may, got a message saying ryanair have cansilled our flights so we can rebook and reroute 2 to 3 days later or get a refund...

Where do we stand now that ryanair have cansilled our flights meaning we have to have extra costs of car rental being moved to Rome (as Rome was the only flight within 2 days of the cansilled flight so we rerouted to Rome 2 n half days later )

PLUS of course our holiday is shorter now by almost 3 days as 1st flight was in the morning but Rome will be evening time 2 days later. So effectively we've lost 3 days,,,
    So can we claim lost days paid for the car rental and rerouting of car pickup and lost days for our apartment?

One more question is the ryanair agent said the cansillation was due to an air traffic controll strike at pisa, but he would say that I think if he works for ryanair so how can I check that fact out as I don't trust them to be honest ?

What do you think I should or could do

Regarding the strike, I assume you didn't try a simple google search as it shows up as a potential issue for other airlines as well (this page chosen at random from the google results for air traffic control strike Pisa)

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/latest-travel-information

as for compensation, that is not part of the requirements of an airline, but your travel insurance might be worth trying.

Also as it is the page I have up, and even though it's not Ryanair the link above shows:

In accordance with EU261 regulations, customers will not be entitled to claim for compensation as a result of the industrial action.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    As Soolin Says - no compensation but you might be able to claim reasonable expenses

So for example I think its reasonable for any fees regarding changing the car hire booking could be claimed. they might not agree of course. You will need receipts for any expenses.

I've never claimed expenses with Ryan Air - so it may turn out to be a bit of a fight. see for example https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jan/22/ryanair-expenses-compensation-delayed-cancelled

https://eu261expenseclaim.ryanair.com/
  • jez33
    jez33 Posts: 44 Forumite
    I did do a search on google but i didnt see the link you put up. Will have a look now. Cheers
    :)
  • soolin
    I did do a search on google but i didnt see the link you put up. Will have a look now. Cheers
    :)

That's just one I picked at random, there are a few pages of reports about the potential Italian air control strike. I posted merely to re assure you that Ryan air weren't lying.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lorian wrote: »
    So for example I think its reasonable for any fees regarding changing the car hire booking could be claimed. they might not agree of course.

They are under no obligation to reimburse things like that.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite

Many, if not most, flights to Pisa are cancelled today. I haven't looked it up but some sort of strike certainly seems likely.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Italian Air Traffic Control strike today from 1000 to 1800. Every airline has been affected, BA at least promise to put on larger aircraft as soon as they can but Ryanair only has one type of plane so that is not possible. Certainly no compensation payable and with French strikes continuing, it looks like it could be a hot summer for travel in Europe
  • jez33
    Thanks for the input every one. I spose now were thinking that it's a shame we can only be told 17 hours before as it limits your chances of finding alternative flights or even train all the way ect
  • soolin
    Thanks for the input every one. I spose now were thinking that it's a shame we can only be told 17 hours before as it limits your chances of finding alternative flights or even train all the way ect

Some of these strikes are very last minute. I got caught up in the French air traffic control strike in March, sat on the tarmac at Fuerteventura airport for over 2 hours and eventually Captain took a slightly longer route back to avoid issues.
  • jez33
    soolin wrote: »
    Some of these strikes are very last minute. I got caught up in the French air traffic control strike in March, sat on the tarmac at Fuerteventura airport for over 2 hours and eventually Captain took a slightly longer route back to avoid issues.

Oh well I suppose we should be thankfull we didn't drive all the way to Stansted on Tuesday only to be turned back.. let's hope we can eventually go Thursday eve...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure