Forced to get a loan

Options
Lesgus
Lesgus Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 22 April 2018 at 11:05AM in Loans
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is standard practice or not. When me and my partner graduated from university in 2008 we both had student overdrafts with different banks. My bank let me keep the overdraft and pay it off over time, although they did change some terms after a year as I was no longer a student.
My partners bank (Halifax) told her she had to get a loan to pay it off unless she could repay the whole the thing. Basically she was forced into getting a loan with no other option as we couldn't raise £2'000 on the spot.
The more I think about this the more it doesn't seem right.
Is this standard practice for some banks, to demand full repayment of the overdraft after 12 months of graduating?

Thanks

Lesgus

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Overdrafts are repayable on demand. An undergraduate overdraft is for students, so expecting repayment after a year of employment also seems fair.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe the loan worked out cheaper than an overdraft??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    A bank can demand repayment of an overdraft at any time.

Loans are often much cheaper than overdrafts anyway.

"Bank in suggesting less profitable product for themselves scandal"
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Maybe the loan worked out cheaper than an overdraft??

It definitely would have been - I remember that Graduate loans were dirt cheap back in the day compared to 20% + on current account overdrafts once your student overdraft terms had expired.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 April 2018 at 4:47PM
    Options
    She would not of been forced into anything, if what the bank was offering was unaffordable, or unwanted, she always had the option of defaulting on the agreement.

Overdraughts are always repayable on demand, so the loan was probably her best choice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Lesgus
    Options
    Thanks,

It was a long time ago, I didn't realise her loan may have been better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure