We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Rat attack.

Sorry, i don't know exactly where to put this question.
Sorry if this the wrong section.
Got rats running around my house.
I have purchased cheap traps, from the poundshop, all the way up to top of the range ones which state
" guaranteed to catch " But nothing. The rats will not go into any of the traps.
Have tried every kind of bait, but the rats will not eat the bait.
Even heard that rats like chocolate, so gently melted some chocolate and mixed the bait in, but they will not even eat chocolate.
Desperatly need recommendations for any good bait/poison. Have you tried anything and got good results, commercial stuff or even homemade.
Many thanks. Sorry again if this question is in the wrong place.

Comments

• Does your local council provide a rat-catching service (which you'd probably have to pay for)? Personally if they are in the house I wouldn't be trying to sort it out myself.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Have you tried peanut butter?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm with madjack on this, get the "pay for" council in

Not being rude but is there a reason they are in, opened food containers, over grown garden next door, chickens kept next door for instance?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Get someone who has a couple of terriers to come round they will soon clear them out of your house.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd go for the council option as well. Have sorted out a mouse problem myself but rats are a different ballgame. Any idea where the nests are/what's attracting them?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • jack_121
    jack_121 Posts: 56
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 December 2017 at 7:29AM
    Thanks for the replies. What i have been told by the neighbours is that there is a nest of them underground, and they keep popping in whenever they feel like, i think this is what is atttracting them to come in. Apart from that i always put food away in cupboards or in the fridge.
    I think the neighbours have them as well, but there is a certain stigma attached and no one particularly wants to talk about it.
    I have been thinking about rentokill and the council, but they charge per visit.
    I was wondering if you knew any good bait/poison to get rid of them. I googled and spent the morning reading old posts and everyone says rodents love chocolate, but i can't get them to eat the stuff, not even the smallest of nibbles. It appears they know i am trying to get rid of them, and they even walk around the house quietly, trying to fool me into thinking they have left.
    Perhaps the bait i have been buying from the local shops is no good, so would desperatly love some recommendations if you have tried and had success with anything.
    I will give the peanut butter a try today. Would love some ideas or encouragement.
    Many thanks.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They can smell human if you handle the traps... Gloves may help... Marigolds or surgical type, not sweaty warm ones. Move some traps regularly, never move others. Some rats hate novelty, so avoid new traps.

Sonic repellent devices can work well inside houses. Not on their own, but combined with cleanliness and traps.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,507
    Forumite
    Rats are clever. My area is infested with them but fortunately they stay outside. If they ever started coming in then I'd have the council round whatever it cost. My only caveat would be if I knew someone with a terrier - like Wallace7 I reckon a terrier would be far more effective than bait or traps.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    Forumite
    If there is a hole and your not on a water meter, stick a hose down it and leave it running for a while.

Did that at my sisters and nothing for ages then a bundle of wet rats at the hole, i grabbed the rake and got one of them, the others went in all directions.

As above if the traps new and smells odd they will avoid it, place a couple with food normally found in the area, the bait food will smell odd to them.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• If there is a hole and your not on a water meter, stick a hose down it and leave it running for a while.

Did that at my sisters and nothing for ages then a bundle of wet rats at the hole, i grabbed the rake and got one of them, the others went in all directions.

As above if the traps new and smells odd they will avoid it, place a couple with food normally found in the area, the bait food will smell odd to them.
    To add to that, try pouring a can of Creosote down the hole, its overpowering and they don't like it.
    For the rats we have we put poison blocks inside a piece of pipe laid along the bottom of an outside wall.
    Check all the possible means of entry to the house, broken air bricks etc they have to have some means of access to the house apart from the back door.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure