Deposit left..no show.

Hello everyone.
I sold a car two weeks ago he left a deposit for £500 and he filled the log book out but I kept it. Reason he filled out log book he said he had to arrange a lorry to collect as it was going straight to docks and going abroad. I wrote him out a receipt gave him a copy and he went on his way. Seemed nice chap.
Two weeks later he still has not collected. I texted him to ask if he knew when it will be collected he didn't reply to texts I then called him Monday and he said he had gone away and was only back today and he will arrange collection and he is waiting for transfer of money from abroad as he is buying it on someone else's behalf.and looking at info on the car. Which is odd because we discussed all this at my home and he was happy and it had no paperwork as it was lost again he was happy with this.
I phone him again yesterday given the time scale he should have organised something he said he will get straight onto the person he's buying it for and call me with in the hour that was 6.30 last night and still havent heard. I also sent a text shortly after to say I can't keep the car forever on hold and will have to sell it on if he doesn't make arrangemenarrangements pretty soon.
I feel two weeks is ample time to arrange collection I feel he is mucking me about amd for the best part ignoring me. Not sure were I stand on this do I wait a bit longer. Do I sell it on again and his deposit of £500 is cash what do i do with that he lives 3 hours away from me.

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 2 December 2017 at 6:36PM
    Do you have his postal address? If so, write to him stating time is now the essence of the contract, giving a reasonable deadline for him to collect the car and pay the balance, otherwise he will be in beach of contract and you will be keeping his deposit and re-marketing the car.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Hi yes i have his postal address. That a worth a go. I will do that. What I dont get is why leave a £500 deposit if your not serious?
  • sounds like a scam about to start to me.

what type of car is it please? ( as in they cant get it abroad? )
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    He obviously is a serious buyer. Otherwise he wouldn't have left a sizeable deposit.
    You won't necessarily be entitled to keep his deposit either.

Your best bet is to give him another week then readvertise it. When it sells the second time refund his money less the advert fee
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Scams don't involve paying cash. And even if it was the start of a scam you'd be sure they'd be following through pretty quickly before an unknowing seller cottons on.

Doesn't sound like a scam at all. Just an unorganised buyer
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sounds like a scam about to start to me.

What sort of scam involves giving the victiim £500 in cleared funds (I assume), do enlighten other posters so they don't get caught out.
    what type of car is it please? ( as in they cant get it abroad? )

Suggest you might want to re-read the OP it doesn't say the buyer is based abroad, just that they went abroad.
  • consumers_revenge
    consumers_revenge Posts: 3,545 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 December 2017 at 4:57PM
    If a is worth 35k then £500 is a pittance on a car that may be involved in something iffy is what I'm saying....hence why I asked what car it was.

he said he had to arrange a lorry to collect as it was going straight to docks and going abroad

again as above IF the car worth 35k disappears in a container and is not seen again and the balance/cash falls through for some reason.

then again it could be a £1000 banger and the buyer is 5hi7 hopeless!

Not saying this is the case but does happen
  • Yeah the funds were paid in cash the car is a 1986 bmw it wasn't loads of money so i couldn't imagine a scam in place as it's all cash. That's why I'm wondering about deposit as he would have to come get himself he loves 3 hours from me.
    Yeah he's not the buyer himself he is buying it for a uncle in Thailand.
  • fair enough, hopefully you can see why I asked.

looks like just a bit hopeless lol

I would just warn him its going back in to sell in 3 days if he wants the cash or car please collect in person before then.

good luck.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Scams don't involve paying cash.

The best ones most certainly do. What better way to gain someone's confidence than to give them several hundred quid in cash and let them keep it for a few weeks?

They then turn up, say they can't withdraw the cash from the bank but can do a bank transfer. They let you keep several hundred quid for a few weeks so you feel confident and they do that.

Move on a few months it turns out that they were fraudulently using someone's account and the payment is reversed. You only have the £500 deposit you got and no car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure