Landscape gardener work is awful, where do I stand?

13»

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,140
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    my dad is a landscape gardener and from what you described you seem to have massively overpaid, good job or not.

unless of course maybe your garden is the size of a park?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    my dad is a landscape gardener and from what you described you seem to have massively overpaid, good job or not.

unless of course maybe your garden is the size of a park?

I'm impressed but not sure how you could say that from the little you've been told?
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,140
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    I'm impressed but not sure how you could say that from the little you've been told?

There has been details of the work provided, the only thing lacking really is the size of the space the work is been done on.
  • Grumpycat
    Grumpycat Posts: 21
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The garden is only small, maybe 8m by 10m?!

We got two quotes before we went with the original guy and they were both around the £5k. The new quote is higher I presume because of the time it will take to lift and clean the slabs and then relay them.

We wrote a letter this evening to him and have said under the consumer rights act he hasn't done the work to a reasonable standard within a reasonable time period - given him the option of rectifying it within 3 weeks or giving us the money we have paid him back. If he does neither we will either go through section 75 of the credit card act or small claims court.

I just hope we've done everything right and can come to an amicable resolution!
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You paid him by creditcard?
  • Grumpycat
    Forumite
    Yes. It seems like the section 75 process through our credit will take a lot of time to sort out but I'm thinking we try that too.
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Grumpycat wrote: »
    Yes. It seems like the section 75 process through our credit will take a lot of time to sort out but I'm thinking we try that too.

It would really help if you gave the relevant information very early on when you first post.

You will need to be much more forthcoming to get anywhere with this - on here and in person as it were.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • Grumpycat
    Forumite
    I didn't want to post a lengthy story about everything that has happened and I was mainly asking for advice on where I stand and what action I could take if I've employed a dodgy gardener, I didn't think the details were as necessary.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    When it comes to consumer rights then knowing the method of payment is always critical info.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,810
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Do you know where this guy lives?
    If so you could go round and visit him and ask what / when he is going to finish and put right.

Personally I think he is stringing you along, and doing other work for others ,and you are at the bottom of the pile, and the work is outside his capabilities.

I wouldn't let him back on site, and start now with a small claims court action.

Don't pay him any more money either.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business