BT Youview box faulty or no?

A lot of the time I cannot seem to switch on my TV and watch it, particularly in the evenings. Not sure if it is an aeriel/signal problem or there could be a fault with the box.

Often the pictures will be breaking up/pixillated then other times they are fine, mostly during daytime.

If I want to watch the i players, then it seems I have to reset my broadband and box (daily) to be able to access them. Sometimes the whole service (normal channels plus the i players) are unwatchable as the tv screen goes blank and I might have to reset the whole thing again from scratch.

It is very annoying when you sit down to watch something and find you can't unless you switch broadband off, then the tv, then switch them on agan etc. Half the time I turn off the whole thing and just surf the web on my phone.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? I thought I would ask here before I make that call to BT. Thanks.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    there's 2 problems

the first one is Freeview signals are prone to atmospherics , the hot weather is playing havoc with the signal and blocks of or all the channels may go missing

the second one is more likely to be BT box problems , is it the latest small roundish box or an older one

I'd only mention the box problems to BT , not the other problem as they are likely to blame it ALL on your aerial.

Good luck with Bt TV support ! :)
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Thanks ever so much! :) I keep putting off phoning them. Will do in the week.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Reset your BT Hub .
    Reset your YouView Box .

Try viewing without the box .
    Check your box ethernet and hdmi connections .
    Use your BT member community forum for better BT help .
  • PS. Square older big box type.
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Reset your BT Hub .
    Reset your YouView Box .

Try viewing without the box .
    Check your box ethernet and hdmi connections .
    Use your BT member community forum for better BT help .

I do have to reset practically every day. Have checked all the other things. Will try the forums cheers.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    There is a good chance they will offer a free box if you extend your contact on BT TV
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »
    the first one is Freeview signals are prone to atmospherics , the hot weather is playing havoc with the signal and blocks of or all the channels may go missing
    Actually a fairly rare cause of TV reception issues. Unless you know precisely where the OP lives and transmitter being watched and aerial used you cannot be sure that this is the cause. (Any more than I can be 100% certain it is not.)

Most such issues are related to poor / borderline aerial installations and frequently a simple dodgy/loose connection that a re-make or cable swap (aerial fly-lead and/or hdmi cable) can cure. {HDMI cable generate signals that can interfere with UHF TV signals, especially when the cables are less well screened (cheap, thin) or faulty/poorly terminated.}

Occasionally there is something local that causes interference to signals that gives similar symptoms.

Often worth asking if near neighbours are having similar issues. (Both for local interference and the less likely enhanced propagation interference. The latter being usually worst around dawn and dusk.}

Frequently people stack electronic equipment or place is cabinets/shelving with insufficient ventilation and that can cause overheating problems.

The BT Humax box is plastic cased (the retail version is all-metal) and may allow interference in from another device stacked on or near it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure