Composite front door

Options

Comments

• GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heritage Trade frame doors are the same spec as a rock door Ultimate but without the extra reinforcement and much cheaper
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • samspam
    samspam Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    See my thread about my composite door!!!!
    If your house faces south do not get anything other than white!
    I am having terrible problems although my fitter assures me he has fitted hundreds with no issue, mine will not open when the sun is on it.
    I wish I hadn't bothered. However they are lovely, wish I had done more research before choosing mine.
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    thebaldwindowfitter Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March 2017 at 3:20PM
    Options
    GT60 wrote: »
    Heritage Trade frame doors are the same spec as a rock door Ultimate but without the extra reinforcement and much cheaper
    No they are not they are nowhere near i have fitted both Rockdoor are far better .Heritage composite doors are made using door blanks which are cut down to suit the frame then the door is edged with metal edge where as Rockdoor are made bespoke from scratch
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    samspam wrote: »
    See my thread about my composite door!!!!
    If your house faces south do not get anything other than white!
    I am having terrible problems although my fitter assures me he has fitted hundreds with no issue, mine will not open when the sun is on it.
    I wish I hadn't bothered. However they are lovely, wish I had done more research before choosing mine.

I would really like anthracite grey. A couple of neighbours have these and they look good.

I may, however, get French grey as it's much lighter.

Directly south facing.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    gamston wrote: »
    I fitted one about 4 yrs ago, got it from local company, its warpped top and bottom, it only gets the sun from 6-9 am
    we only use to close door on the latch not the top and bottom locks

I went to visit a door company today and they told me I have to always close the locks as it will warp otherwise.
  • samspam
    samspam Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    I would really like anthracite grey. A couple of neighbours have these and they look good.

I may, however, get French grey as it's much lighter.

Directly south facing.

Mine is dark grey. The colour technically should not make a difference, however mine is warped and in direct sunlight. I would go lighter just to be on the safe side x
  • Annie1960
    Options
    samspam wrote: »
    Mine is dark grey. The colour technically should not make a difference, however mine is warped and in direct sunlight. I would go lighter just to be on the safe side x

I've been to visit a couple of local door/window companies.

When I asked them about problems, one said that it can sometimes happen if the door is fitted in very cold weather. Also, you get problems if you don't engage all the locks every time the door is closed as it can warp.

In any event, they said the door would be replaced if this happened. I'm looking at Solidors.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We had a composite door and double glazed side frame fitted locally about 3 years ago. Our barn faces due south and we don't have any issues. The door and frame are anthracite grey. I don't know the name of the door unfortunately but we don't have any issues with the sun on it.
  • beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    .If south facing AVOID blue its the worst colour although most problems are caused when the sun is rising and setting due to no cloud cover

I had west facing and a Blue Rockdoor - it was replaced 3 times, not due to the whole door warping, but small sections of the beading against the glass warping and lifting away from the glass.

I changed it for Black in the end and thats been fine for several years.

I had no letter box, but do leave the keys in the lock overnight for ease of exit if there was a problem.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Out of interest, are there any colours which are not a good idea for a north facing door? I am considering changing my door. The current one looks ok but may have warped a bit because it doesn't fit into the frame as well as it could do. There are draughts in cold weather/at night. Will i probably need to get the whole door frame changed? I have never had a door fitted (other than a UPVC back door). I don't want UPVC at the front at all. I am in a period victorian terrace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure