HSBC increasing charges, suggestions for an alternative?

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Wywth wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the place you can apply online please?

This was my original suggestion (post#3), but I can only see where to apply by phone

I did find it somewhat ironic that the electronic/ direct/ online account was the only one that you dont appear to be able to apply for online and must actually talk to someone about.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've just spoken to RBS. There are a couple of points to bear in mind, it seems:

1. They exclude certain professions - one of which is Accountancy/Book-keeping - and the *Black-list isn't published.

2. They only permit one style of business per account. The example we discussed was a Management Consultant who receives Publishing Royalties. "That's two accounts, then, Sir"

Quite eccentric!

*Estate Agents, Scrap-metal Dealers, too, I understand
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    polymaff wrote: »
    2. They only permit one style of business per account. The example we discussed was a Management Consultant who receives Publishing Royalties. "That's two accounts, then, Sir"

What do they mean "style"? A trading style aka trading name? Do they mean business activities?

If it is the former, do you really need multiple trading styles?

If it is the later, how are they going to know? You get 10 payments a month they will not know if that is from contracting, affiliate marketing or book sales. Google could be paying you for any one of the three and a bacs/ faster payment wouldnt specify. Secondly, you could go for a suitably vague business description that covers all your activities unless you really are running a butchers, management consultancy and primal scream therapist under one entity.
  • polymaff
    edited 3 July 2013 at 4:34PM
    What do they mean "style"?
    Sorry, my ambiguous choice of word. "They only permit one business activity per account".

Indeed, how would they know? At this stage I was just interested in trying to detect all of the trip wires as early on as possible - if only to give me the time to develop work-arounds, such as a vague, all-encompassing, business descriptions. Also to evaluate just how eccentric they really are.
  • Headly
    Headly Posts: 9 Forumite
    Wywth wrote: »
    I'm not trying to defend the bank in any way (in fact I'm looking to ditch & switch myself) but after I read this, and thought about it, I think I understand where they are trying to come from...

All true of course. But speaking as an editor, I sense that these cleverly worded statements have just one primary aim, which is to be as persuasive as possible in their attempt to convince us all that they're doing this for our benefit and that we're all going to be so much better off. For a few users, that might be the case, but the majority who opened a Business Direct account and used it effectively in accordance with the reason they chose it in the first place (free banking) will be £66 a year worse off, and I just detest the patronising overtones in HSBC's literature that come across as little more than a suggestion that such charges are all for our own good. It would be so much better if they just came clean and told it the way it really is for the majority of their customers.

As for the cost of maintaining your £5000 minimum balance with Cater Allen to achieve free banking, don't forget that they pay a very healthy interest rate on their free business bank account amounting to 0.25 per cent AER on balances of £100,000... ;)
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    polymaff wrote: »
    Sorry, my ambiguous choice of word. "They only permit one business activity per account".

Indeed, how would they know? At this stage I was just interested in trying to detect all of the trip wires as early on as possible - if only to give me the time to develop work-arounds, such as a vague, all-encompassing, business descriptions. Also to evaluate just how eccentric they really are.

How bizarre! I'm getting the feeling they don't really want anyone to open such an account with them.

Oh well, that rules us out, anyway
    We have more than one business activity, as anyone could easily see by referring to the SIC codes we have on our Companies House entry.
  • polymaff
    by referring to the SIC codes
    EXACTLY - so how would RBS respond to our:

74909 - Other professional, scientific and technical activities not elsewhere classified.

As I said in my conversation with RBS, "we make profits - how we make profits changes by the week". The response, and I've found this true with all major banks we've talked to, was words to the effect: "don't care - you fit our model or we're not interested" - and that model is distressingly incompetent and outdated.

Bankers!
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Apparently Cater Allen has no minimum balance requirement if you apply via IT Contractor

http://www.contractoruk.com/money/free_business_bank_account.html

No minimum balance required (please note the application form is a generic one, you do not need the £5,000 min balance if introduced by us)
  • Cornwall2000
    Cornwall2000 Posts: 109 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2013 at 8:52PM
    socrates wrote: »
    Apparently Cater Allen has no minimum balance requirement if you apply via IT Contractor

http://www.contractoruk.com/money/free_business_bank_account.html

No minimum balance required (please note the application form is a generic one, you do not need the £5,000 min balance if introduced by us)

Great find.

Arrived here from the small business banking thread.
    I was already looking at ICICI. They have a branch 2 mins walk from my current workplace but not 100% sure about phone and online service. I can;t go into the branch at the moment as I'm on nights. They don't mention a monthly fee on their website. I phoned to check and was pleasantly surprised to get an answer at 8.30pm (one of the benefits of an Indian bank I suppose) but he could only help me with personal accounts despite me having chosen business banking in the usual telephone menu.

I was unaware of the RBS business direct account despite many internet searches, thanks for that. Not sure I have got 45 mins of my life I want to give them answering yes to a million irrelevant questions on the phone though. If it's my only option I'll take it.

So the Cater Allen looks interesting. Does anyone have experience of banking with them? How similar to Santander are they? I've found Santander have really improved the service beyond recognition in the last year or so.
    What's their internet banking like?

Thanks a million.
  • zcacmxi
    zcacmxi Posts: 136 Forumite
    squowse wrote: »
    So the Cater Allen looks interesting. Does anyone have experience of banking with them?

Many people I know have used Cater Allen for over a decade, and I've never heard a complaint from them.

A negative is that they're owned by Santander who do not have such a great reputation, yet may be they are run separately as nobody is complaining since they were bought out.

I've 3 accounts so near £200pa in £5.50s.. I could save £1000 in charges in the next 5 years by switching away now.. I'm considering either Cater Allen or Metro Bank too.

Metro Bank may win it for me, as there is a branch not too far away..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure