greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Bluefire wrote: »
    Gosh, you're going to be amazed at everything that's changed! My last (and first) trip was in 2012 & I couldn't get over the differences between then & now. I'm taking my Mum over there in November/December this year & by the time we go we'll already have most of our restaurants booked at Disney & fastpasses for rides too! Bit crazy to have to think about which park you're going to be in & where you'd like to eat so far in advance, but the planner in me loves it really ;)

Wow! I didn't realise you could do that! Must get a move on with the planning!
    Glad you aren't planning on leaving us!

Have you costed up all the 'plans'? You may need another mortgage to pay for them!!!

Boiler is just over £3k, window quotes are between 8k and 12.5k (only 1 at 8k and 3 at 12.5k or thereabouts - so I don't quite believe the 8k one) Kitchen is the unknown - a full refit would be about 25-30k but we're keeping some of our existing units and doors (real wood, bespoke made) so are hoping for under 10k (includes flooring, tiling, some plastering etc) Depends if the custom granite we had last time survives being removed and replaced - otherwise that's an expensive piece to get shipped over from Italy again (it's super deep in size and we couldn't find it stocked in the UK as standard)

So that little lot totals about 25k..... (will hopefully come in cheaper, but am working on 25k)

and then I'm thinking the holiday will cost about £12-14K:eek: Have attempted to do some rough pricing on it based on looking at accom & flights for this year

Gulp!!!:eek::eek::eek:

All of that sounds terribly disorganised, doesn't it! I should have proper budgets in place for it all, I know :o
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: good job the mortgage has gone :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Tilly x x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Wow, all these plans are going to be like a small mortgage! Good thing you are so good at budgeting!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • greent
    Options
    Yeay! All my brood are now home for the hols:j Small ones finished at 2pm, DD finished yesterday lunchtime and DS1 last Friday lunchtime. Small ones are reading their new books (presents from teachers), DS1 is packing for 2 weeks away with Army Cadets (leaves tomorrow - cost £70 inc food and travel - bargain!) and DD is flopping around after a hard term and a driving lesson earlier today. I'm sat here with a lovely cup of tea, feeling sleepy :) Am off out with OH tonight for a meal at Carluccio's in Cheltenham - will hopefully be nice. There is a lovely little independent Italian not far from it, so I shall be disappointed if it doesn't match that! :)

I plan to do more decluttering over the hols, some days out with the children, see some friends, lots of baking and OH is fitting in some decorating (I may do a little bit)

x
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • HelenDaveKids
    HelenDaveKids Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Feel like late to the party but do fall off the forum (but not MFW) wagon then play catch up.... But whit woo ... I'm soooo Jeolous. I have been MF for a few years before having a new one and starting again, can't wait to join the club again

HDK xxx
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • norfolkdream
    Options
    Just saw your MF news on the other thread, massive well done!!

I'm in awe of your lists! I've been decluttering too but have hit a slump in the road (as in lost the mojo for a while)

Wow on the figures you may need for doing the house up. I have the same sort of things to do next year, its kind of scary!!!
    MFW 16 No 33
    2016 OP Paid/Target 2063/£2063 (100%) COMPLETE
    Mortgage Free - Apr 2016 -DONE!:j
  • greent
    edited 19 July 2015 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Feel like late to the party but do fall off the forum (but not MFW) wagon then play catch up.... But whit woo ... I'm soooo Jeolous. I have been MF for a few years before having a new one and starting again, can't wait to join the club again

HDK xxx

:D D

I keep falling off forums and playing catch up too! :) x
    Just saw your MF news on the other thread, massive well done!!

I'm in awe of your lists! I've been decluttering too but have hit a slump in the road (as in lost the mojo for a while)

Wow on the figures you may need for doing the house up. I have the same sort of things to do next year, its kind of scary!!!

Thanks ND :) x

It's a stupid amount of money on house improvements/ renovations - but I can't wait for it all to be done :D

It's a sunny Sunday afternoon here in Gloucestershire. OH and I wandered around the food festival at The Quays yesterday afternoon, tasting lots of yummy samples around and then buying a very scrummy pulled pork brioche sub (me) and roast pork with trimmings bap (him) for a late lunch. Bumped into some friends along the way and had a nice chat and also had a pink gin fizz (me) and local craft beer (him) - and then had to come home for a nap as alcohol on a sunny afternoon tired us out!! Missed the neighbours' birthday bbq as a result of the nap (oops - need to apologise), but it was a very pleasant way to spend a Saturday afternoon :D:D

This morning we've taken the small boys to the local skate park where they spent 90 minutes going around on their scooters and we sat and watched them whilst chatting to other parents over a coffee :) Came home to a relaxed lunch and DH has decided to re-lay the path at the side of the garage - I'm lazing around watching the small ones in the paddling pool and waiting for my bread and pizza doughs to prove. It's a very peaceful and lazy sort of day :) There are plenty of things that I could be doing (housework, paperwork etc) but it's nice to take time out and just *be* :D

x

ETA: apologised to neighbour who thankfully found it very funny and said she wished she could have done the same! Decluttered a jar of HM apple & pear chutney and HM strawberry with blackberry liqueur jam to her for their consumption as recompense! :D:D
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like an utterly gorgeous weekend :T

Hehe on the alcofizz shenanigans... happily you've just reminded me I have some lurking in the fridge - I know what I'm doing tonight :rotfl:

PS. Those jams and chutneys sound delish!
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Sounds like a great weekend. Glad you are taking some time to enjoy yourselves.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • greent
    Options
    OH has had 2 beers this afternoon/ evening - he's on bedtime duties for small people tonight, so am fully expecting him to fall asleep too!:rotfl: I've had a long drink of HM elderberry vodka in Ald!'s elderflower & pear sparkling water - delish and you forget it contains alcohol!:eek: I think I'll have a cup of tea next!!:D

Forgot to mention our newest family members. A couple of weeks ago our old lady guinea pig died on the hottest day (she was 8 back at the beginning of March, so was very old - and had a fly strike attack a couple of months ago and had an ovarian mass :() That just left us the one g-pig and they're not solitary creatures, so when I saw a friend was selling baby g-pigs I messaged her and ended up with 2 8week old females to go with our 20month (also from the same friend) - they're very cute and the children have fallen in love with them :D:D Quite a lot of time has been spent just watching them - most amusing :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure