Overhead power line compensation.

Comments

• xclare
    xclare Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi All,
    We have just purchased a property with a wooden electrical pole in the garden and 4 wires coming from it over our property. I have emailed uk power networks regarding claiming but I'm just wondering if people who have had pay-outs could give me a guide of the sort of money you can get ? Are we talking £10's or £1,000's? Thank you
  • selfhelp
    selfhelp Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a wooden pole at the top of my property and one at the bottom. The power cable runs diagonally across my property for around 60 metres. There was and is no wayleave agreement in place either with the previous owner who had lived there all her life (90 yrs) or myself (11yrs).

I first contacted SSE around 2 and a half years ago and to date they've done nothing asides from sending 2 guys out who told me it was nothing to do with them. I've had a few mobile numbers given me but no one ever answers and I've advised SSE it's a magnet to wood pigeons and I'm continuously cleaning the mess especially from my vehicles, conservatory roof and so on. I also emailed on numerous occasions the legal dept at SSE, while they admit it's not good enough they also seem unable to motivate anyone to address the issue.

I think the networks can just stick 2 fingers up to you as I see it there is no legal or ombudsman process in place that compels them to act and from experience another couldn't give a stuff corporate. Anyone had any experience of SSE and if so how did it pan out. I've discounted getting a lawyer involved due to cost and wondered whether a consumer or individual can obtain a court order and if so how do you go about it.
  • bims
    bims Posts: 3 Newbie
    Update:
    So we have been offered 1% of their value of our property. They have valued it at 30% less than other local agents who say the fact the pole and line would roughly affect around a 5% or so loss of value doesn't really cut it. So I have no idea where they people get 2% - 5% from. In effect we've been offered 0.6%. So funny enough we've rejected it and they've said ok, we'll close the case then!
    How !!!!!! of WPD is that. And of course our remaining options are. Erm, zilch.
    Remove pole. Not possible.
    Put underground. Not possible and our cost anyhow.
    Move pole to less intrusive part of garden. Our cost.
    Seems to me whether you use an agent or not they hold all the cards.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bims wrote: »
    Update:
    So we have been offered 1% of their value of our property. They have valued it at 30% less than other local agents who say the fact the pole and line would roughly affect around a 5% or so loss of value doesn't really cut it. So I have no idea where they people get 2% - 5% from. In effect we've been offered 0.6%. So funny enough we've rejected it and they've said ok, we'll close the case then!
    How !!!!!! of WPD is that. And of course our remaining options are. Erm, zilch.
    Remove pole. Not possible.
    Put underground. Not possible and our cost anyhow.
    Move pole to less intrusive part of garden. Our cost.
    Seems to me whether you use an agent or not they hold all the cards.

Did you buy the house with the pole there?

Did it reduce the value of the house vs houses that didn't have the pole?

If so, why did you turn down the offer?
  • bims
    bims Posts: 3 Newbie
    We bought the house with the pole already there.
    We turned it down as they valued the house at 33% less then 3 other agents.
    We know from talking to other people what they have been offered and this is way short of similar examples. So they are trying to stitch us up by going direct.
    Plus we didn't agree on the impact. We said it was severe as the pole is 6M from our new house we have built. They say it based on the older house which is 100M away.
    Either way based on other compensation claims their acting agent is wrong.
    I've not put in a complaint to WPD direct to see what they say.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    bims wrote: »
    Plus we didn't agree on the impact. We said it was severe as the pole is 6M from our new house we have built. They say it based on the older house which is 100M away.

I suspect you should have accepted their offer. If you built the new house in the knowledge of how close an existing pole is to it, I don't see any independent arbitrator accepting that as the basis for proximity.

I should however declare a financial interest - I'm an electricity bill payer, and I'm not over-eager to have to pay extra on my bill so that my supplier can settle unreasonable/unrealistic compo claims!
  • Can anyone advise please?
    I contacted Western Power because there is a low voltage pole and stay on my land and had an immediate reply. It was confirmed that there was no wayleave and that I was entitled to apply. I was given the payment rates for annual payment, a 10 and 15 year payment and I was entitled to 6 years back payment. I have owned the land for 22 years.
    I further inquired about easement and was told that they do not do that for low voltage poles.
    I also queried the 6 years back-payment and was told that it was the maximum they pay out. I've read in one thread on this website that someone got 10 years back payment.
    Can anyone throw any light on this please?
  • Hi. Six years is the most you can back-date as it's the Statute of Limitations legal time period. I would be surprised if any longer is agreed. In any case like this you could seek advice from your local Chartered Surveyor or Land Agent.
  • Thomson Broadbent now charge 20% letter dated 07/2018
  • I have received numerous communications from Thomas Broadbent. I don't mind them taking their commission, but am a little wary of signing up to their Terms and Conditions. Is there any small print whereby I could finish up having to pay them more than I get, or with charges for anything in the event of a failed claim?

I only have 1 power cable running across my property to my neighbours house, which is unsightly, but not the end of the world. is it worth pursuing?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback