Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    For chunks in brine I've not noticed any difference between Lidl & Tesco Value.

As the Lidl tuna comes in a ring pull can (Tesco doesn't for value or standard), I'm sticking with them.

There's a big taste and texture difference between the Aldi tuna I used and my usual Princes or John West.
    As I said, Aldi is more like tuna flakes.
    I've not bought Tesco value.
    Tuna is something I won't compromise on.
    At 75p per tin, Aldi was around the price I can get Princes/John West in HB, B&M etc in a 4 pack £3 or £3.25 for 4 tins) so I thought it was worth a try.
    It turned out not to be.

Aldi tin had a ring pull.
    It was a pain in the butt to open so failed on every level - for me.

Our Aldi hasn't been open long so I'm trying a few changes to my usual brands.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A customer that came from Aldi said to me the reason for not selling cress is a seasonable item. It is grown all year round in greenhouse/poly houses conditions. I remember at playschool growing some in an eggshell with a ball of wet cottonwool. I had the same response 2 years ago for spinach.

Do Aldi train their staff to say this? I don't know other supermarkets that don't sell cress or spinach for some parts of the year.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    A customer that came from Aldi said to me the reason for not selling cress is a seasonable item. It is grown all year round in greenhouse/poly houses conditions. I remember at playschool growing some in an eggshell with a ball of wet cottonwool. I had the same response 2 years ago for spinach.

Do Aldi train their staff to say this? I don't know other supermarkets that don't sell cress or spinach for some parts of the year.
    We did it with blotting paper but maybe there is no call for that anymore.

TBH, cress isn't something I look for in a supermarket.
    Other than egg sarnis, what is its use?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

They’re talking about seasonable in terms of when most people want to buy it, rather than when it’s grown.

Aldi and Lidl have limited shelf space and low prices depend very much on fast turnover.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    They’re talking about seasonable in terms of when most people want to buy it, rather than when it’s grown.

Aldi and Lidl have limited shelf space and low prices depend very much on fast turnover.

Spinach is eaten all year round and don’t know anyone that eats it’s more in one period of the year
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aldi definitely sell spinach as do Lidl. Although I've never seen cress on sale at either.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Spinach is eaten all year round and don!!!8217;t know anyone that eats it!!!8217;s more in one period of the year

I appreciate that, obviously - but I think we have to accept that Aldi and Lidl are pretty sophisticated when it comes to knowing what sells best and when, and maximising the use of limited shelfspace.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    The standard Aldi porridge oats are now branded Mornflake (75p for 1kg).
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I've just downgraded from Quaker Oats single sachets so I'm happy with the Aldi one I've just started using (organic wholemeal). A 1kg bag will last me a long time.
    It may be twice as expensive as the Mornflake but cost is not really an issue.
    I looked at the cheap porridge this morning in Aldi, part of the bag is see through.

The flakes looked very small and 'bitty', not like the Kavanagh organic wholemeal at all.
    I don't think I'll be changing to that when I've munched my way through the 1kg bag I have - but thanks for suggesting it. :)
  • pakokelso93
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    The standard Aldi porridge oats are now branded Mornflake (75p for 1kg).
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Mornflake is a very old brand (founded in the 1940s). Which isn't to say that it didn't make Aldi's own label but it possibly isn't exactly the same product.

Aldi does this occasionally - replaces an own label item with a product from an established brand. For the past few months it has been selling Wall's Scotch eggs instead of its previous own label equivalent.

Presume it's the same Mornflake but the single pots and bags of oats that you get in HomeBargains - It is the bst porridge bar none. I love the pots with golden syrup (lyles - the proper stuff in it) - easy to take to work!
    PK! :money:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spinach is eaten all year round and don’t know anyone that eats it’s more in one period of the year
    I think I probably eat it more in the summer (baby leaves, anyway), I prefer it to heads of lettuce.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure