MSE Poll: What have you taken from a hotel room?

Poll started 10 April 2018

Rightly or wrongly, many see a hotel room as a free-for-all. Whether it's complimentary shower gels, tea bags or towels, we want to know what you've ever taken away.

Please tick all of the items you've trousered from a hotel room without specifically paying for them. (We obviously don't condone anything illegal).
Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• The usual stuff like toiletries from bathroom/ tea, coffee etc, as i figure that's part of the room charge and if you haven't used it they're not going to refund.
    As for slippers, I do use them, so they'd just be thrown away as they are not reusable.
    The only time I've taken a robe is when we stayed in a "love motel" in Korea, which are usually excellent value and they usually provide a bag of toiletries including toothbrushes & paste, condoms, various lotions, moisturizer etc, along with a few drinks & snacks in fridge all included in price, bathrobes are usually provided, but one motel we went to was not good, we checked into our room and it hadn't been cleaned properly (dirty ashtray empty cans - thankfully bed had been changed!), so I asked for another room and we had to wait an hour while it was prepared.
    New room was a lot better and there were bathrobes in sealed bags on the beds, I did quite like the robes but wouldn't dream of taking one, however, I dropped something between bed & wall so when I pulled out bed apart from a few discarded condom packets ( :eek: but at least it was just packets!) there was a fully sealed new bath robe, the way I saw it was they put 2 in we left 2, but as beds obviously hadn't been properly cleaned for some time the 3rd robe was extra so they hadn't missed it !!! Since then that lovely thick cream satin robe has been round the world with me ;)
    Growing old is manditory, Growing up is optional! :j
  • I've only stayed in one hotel which supplied slippers and I presumed they'd had to be thrown away anyway for hygiene reasons, so took them home with me and still use them. I work on the principle that I'm paying for the coffee/biscuits/shampoo etc so tend to take them if they're a brand I like (a lot of shampoos are yuk in hotels)
    Never considered taking a bathrobe as they can be washed and used again.
  • shehen23
    shehen23 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't use hotel rooms often but when I do I know that the cost of 'complimentary' toiletries & tea/coffee etc are factored into the price I've been charged for the room.
    What does complimentary mean otherwise? Same as small items with hotel branding, which are designed to be taken away as a permanent advertisement.
    I'm always shocked that these items that are designed to be used by the guest are frequently described as stealing in the same way as removing fixtures and fittings (furniture, bedding etc).
    If hotels don't want us to use them, don't put them in our rooms or make it clear we'll be charged if we use them, like with a mini bar.

Don't pretend they're complimentary and then shame your guests that make use of them
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    How could you take an ironing board?!

Also it should be 'I don't wish to disclose my gender (or I'm agender)' not the other way around.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Only ever taken toiletries that Ive already used - if they are 'cheap' ones I've used my own anyway and left the cheap ones for the next guest
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    shehen23 wrote: »
    I don't use hotel rooms often but when I do I know that the cost of 'complimentary' toiletries & tea/coffee etc are factored into the price I've been charged for the room.
    What does complimentary mean otherwise? Same as small items with hotel branding, which are designed to be taken away as a permanent advertisement.
    I'm always shocked that these items that are designed to be used by the guest are frequently described as stealing in the same way as removing fixtures and fittings (furniture, bedding etc).
    If hotels don't want us to use them, don't put them in our rooms or make it clear we'll be charged if we use them, like with a mini bar.

Don't pretend they're complimentary and then shame your guests that make use of them

I've been to hotels where they have a good selection of tea bags and coffee pods (for the in room coffee machine). There was atleast 5 different types of each so that you can choose the drink you want. So considering how much their was it was obvious that your meant to only use what you drink in the room and not just take the lot home with you when you leave!.

It's like going to a buffet restaurant and you pay a set fee for all the food. Your not allowed to just take as much food home as you want, your meant to just have what you can eat while your their.

I would much rather have a good selection of drinks in the room to choose from than a smaller selection because everyone just takes the lot home when they leave!.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 April 2018 at 11:03PM
    If we are in a b&b we leave everything that we haven't used there. Quite often will bring our own preferred hot drink and shampoo etc.
    If we are in a hotel - hubby will take home - tea, coffee, milk and any spare biscuits. Shower gel, used soap bar, shampoo and conditioner - if miniatures, then we will take them home (only what we have opened) and then use them when we are travelling very light ( ruc sac for the weekend). We have also taken the ear plugs and hair band that have been provided and we have used.
    In Asia, they provide disposable slippers. I take a pair from the first hotel and use them for the rest of the holiday. One hotel provide rubber/plastic pair/ flip flops - I left those alone.
    Some hotels give you the opportunity to buy the robes but I have neither done this or taken them.
    In a very nice hotel 5 star+ hotel in Vietnam, it was a brand new hotel, it told you the price of everything in your room, pictures, remote control, pillows, kettle, the lot. It also informed you that you will be charged if anything was missing or damaged at the end of your stay.
    In another very nice hotel, this time in Hong Kong, we we given fruit and a complimentary bottle of wine in our room - we went and double checked that the wine was free before hubby opened and drank it.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • I am really, really shocked at the amount being taken/stolen from hotel rooms.

Who takes a TV?! I wouldn't dream of taking a bath robe.

When I stayed at a Disney hotel I loved the soap in the bathroom, I rang Mousekeeping and asked if I could buy some of their soaps to take home as it smelt so nice. The lady apologised that it wasn't for sale. 10 minutes later we got a knock at the door and a lady was there with a carrier bag one third full of soaps! I was over the moon - I gave a $20 tip to her and thanked her profusely.
  • aj23 wrote: »
    Also it should be 'I don't wish to disclose my gender (or I'm agender)' not the other way around.

Why should it be the other way around?
  • baldeagle09
    baldeagle09 Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anything other than stationery,toiletries and coffee, tea and biscuits is theft. Simple.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure