Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    :rotfl: Not just you, Jimmy. I hope things can be worked out with his family but think I'd much rather be involved in the procurement of a lake. Sounds rather fun, actually. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'll swap you then!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    :rotfl: You'd be welcome to, Jimmy. I have the pleasure of meeting his parents again next weekend. :j Also found they aren't going on honeymoon due to their financial situation which I knew wasn't great but didn't realise it was that bad. By way of a wedding gift, Mrs. K. and I have booked a trip to Venice for them. Bit more than we'd really like to spend on a wedding gift, to be honest.

Mrs. K.'s relationship with son is sliding at the moment. She's not happy about how little time we spend together as a couple now I'm working full time and is blaming our son for the attention he requires after work. Can't say we really spent anymore time together as a couple before, to be honest. Anyhow, currently on Mrs. K.'s radar for the first time is the idea of sending our son to board. She's always wanted him to attend the village school before but now seems to think our time together as a couple is more important. Don't really know what to think, to be honest.

Had snooker rematch and lost. :rotfl: They'd set up an Easter egg hunt for the children though I think their two nieces (Brother-in-law's children) are a bit too old for it now, so was for my son, really. :) Tomorrow we are seeing my parents before they go to Japan. Apparently, it's a place my father has always wanted to visit. Very strange seeing them really embracing retirement at the moment but seems to have done father a world of good. He's a lot happier, seems a lot healthier and his mind seems a lot more at ease.

Made an offer on another project. Whether it will be accepted or not is another matter.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Spent this morning sorting the April spreadsheet out whilst son has been helping my cousin out. He!!!8217;s getting a taste for what looking after a pony would really be like if he had one. :eek: Nice to catch up and start to think about some goals for April too. :)

As usual the things going well in my life are taking my attention. For once that happens to be work related. Probably the first time in my life I!!!8217;ve started to understand the reward which can come with that side of life.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Mrs. K.'s relationship with son is sliding at the moment. She's not happy about how little time we spend together as a couple now I'm working full time and is blaming our son for the attention he requires after work. Can't say we really spent anymore time together as a couple before, to be honest. Anyhow, currently on Mrs. K.'s radar for the first time is the idea of sending our son to board. She's always wanted him to attend the village school before but now seems to think our time together as a couple is more important. Don't really know what to think, to be honest.
    I couldn't stop thinking about this since I read it this morning, sorry Alex I'm going to give you some feedback here. Once and once only. Your son is only 7 or 8, is that right? Well, I was a psychotherapist in the private sector for almost 30 years ... and at one stage, almost 50% of my clients were coming to me because of trauma caused by boarding school. The worst ones were sent away at that particular age, 7 or 8.

I'm sure boarding schools are different now, but the fact of separation from parents is still the main point. Not every child who's sent away at that age is traumatised openly, of course, but believe me, after the connection you've built up with your son, sending him outside the home to live could be one of the biggest mistakes you ever make. It could be. I don't know, of course, but I can't leave that unsaid. Once only, as I say.
    As usual the things going well in my life are taking my attention. For once that happens to be work related. Probably the first time in my life I!!!8217;ve started to understand the reward which can come with that side of life.
    This, on the other hand, sounds wonderful :j:j:j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    I'm a boarding school survivor, sent away at 7 years old, parted from my twin brother for the first time ever. And I can confirm what KC said, my parents became estranged, family life was never the same again, the bonds of easy familiarity were gone.

It's too young to be severed from family life, and my brother would say exactly the same. Now in our 60s, both of us still have deep regrets for what we lost at such a tender age.

It wasn't so much the boarding school regime as the loss of everyday family life, and the security that comes with that, that was so damaging. My brother was lucky, also to be in an enriching environment, whereas my boarding school was full of unhappy little girls who formed cliques and there was bullying to contend with, and the after school environment was very poor quality, materially and needless to say, not child centred, it was all about crowd control and conformity.

At least if Little K is unhappy on a day to day basis currently, you.would notice and take appropriate actions, but from a distance these things can be more difficult to spot and when I was unhappy, I learned to suppress it (don't cry, you'll upset the other children) with long term consequences for my emotional and physical health.

Sorry if this sounds gloomy, but why risk Little K's and your close relationship and his emotional health and development? Better to think about options which would keep the family together while making life easier. An au pair? Or free accommodation for a student in return for help with Little K? Or maybe Mrs K might benefit from some other form of support, to help her with her parenting?

I wish you well with prioritising Little K's best interests.
  • I too have been thinking about what you've said regarding Mrs K and Little K,
    I'm just wondering,

What activities are you doing with him after school?
    How long does that take?
    What time does he go to bed?
    How much time does that leave for you and Mrs K?

If Mrs K feels the only way to get some time with you is to send Little K away to school I find that really sad.
    I know you have a strong bond with your son and you seem terrified that that isn't going to last, but you need to model good relationships as well as Work at them. Modelling how a married couple and parents act is just as important as teaching him something explicitly.

So as Little K gets older (and he's old enough to start this now) he's old enough to do some independent reading and studying and music practice whilst Mum and Dad prepare tea together, or do some other task that requires two pairs of adult hands. Then, once Little K is safely in Bed, you and Mrs K can spend some quality time together.

Just a thought.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I couldn't stop thinking about this since I read it this morning, sorry Alex I'm going to give you some feedback here. Once and once only. Your son is only 7 or 8, is that right? Well, I was a psychotherapist in the private sector for almost 30 years ... and at one stage, almost 50% of my clients were coming to me because of trauma caused by boarding school. The worst ones were sent away at that particular age, 7 or 8.

I'm sure boarding schools are different now, but the fact of separation from parents is still the main point. Not every child who's sent away at that age is traumatised openly, of course, but believe me, after the connection you've built up with your son, sending him outside the home to live could be one of the biggest mistakes you ever make. It could be. I don't know, of course, but I can't leave that unsaid. Once only, as I say.

This, on the other hand, sounds wonderful :j:j:j

Thanks, Karmacat. :)

I am well aware how boarding can affect people and always said if it were something my son wished to do for the last two years before university I would be happy to oblige.

My son is 7. I want him to stay at the village school, to be honest. Never thought I'd be the one saying this but he is for the most part happy there and has plenty of time out of school to enjoy childhood. I don't know what to think because I am aware I could make a terrible mistake if we were to send our son. Also, not sure I can.
    WeeMidgie wrote: »
    I'm a boarding school survivor, sent away at 7 years old, parted from my twin brother for the first time ever. And I can confirm what KC said, my parents became estranged, family life was never the same again, the bonds of easy familiarity were gone.

It's too young to be severed from family life, and my brother would say exactly the same. Now in our 60s, both of us still have deep regrets for what we lost at such a tender age.

It wasn't so much the boarding school regime as the loss of everyday family life, and the security that comes with that, that was so damaging. My brother was lucky, also to be in an enriching environment, whereas my boarding school was full of unhappy little girls who formed cliques and there was bullying to contend with, and the after school environment was very poor quality, materially and needless to say, not child centred, it was all about crowd control and conformity.

At least if Little K is unhappy on a day to day basis currently, you.would notice and take appropriate actions, but from a distance these things can be more difficult to spot and when I was unhappy, I learned to suppress it (don't cry, you'll upset the other children) with long term consequences for my emotional and physical health.

Sorry if this sounds gloomy, but why risk Little K's and your close relationship and his emotional health and development? Better to think about options which would keep the family together while making life easier. An au pair? Or free accommodation for a student in return for help with Little K? Or maybe Mrs K might benefit from some other form of support, to help her with her parenting?

I wish you well with prioritising Little K's best interests.

Thank you, weemidgie. You've summed up my own concerns, to be honest. My son has been building independence recently but can be quite sensitive and in need of reassurance when faced with many situations.

It breaks my heart to know he considers my cousin more a mother to him than he does my wife. I find it difficult to see how good my wife is with her nieces when I know she 'll work late / go to the gym so she arrives home after our son has gone to bed. Every so often she makes an effort but it's not lasted yet. I thought we were getting there recently but he did something she took a dislike to and everything is lost. So far as parenting is concerned I am on my own, really.
    I too have been thinking about what you've said regarding Mrs K and Little K,
    I'm just wondering,

What activities are you doing with him after school?
    How long does that take?
    What time does he go to bed?
    How much time does that leave for you and Mrs K?

If Mrs K feels the only way to get some time with you is to send Little K away to school I find that really sad.
    I know you have a strong bond with your son and you seem terrified that that isn't going to last, but you need to model good relationships as well as Work at them. Modelling how a married couple and parents act is just as important as teaching him something explicitly.

So as Little K gets older (and he's old enough to start this now) he's old enough to do some independent reading and studying and music practice whilst Mum and Dad prepare tea together, or do some other task that requires two pairs of adult hands. Then, once Little K is safely in Bed, you and Mrs K can spend some quality time together.

Just a thought.

My son goes to bed at 8pm each evening and I read to him for 30 minutes. Before bedtime we walk our dog together, I listen to him read, work on maths, music theory, piano and violin each day. Not sure how he could work on this independently? My wife and I used to cook together years ago, now she just expects dinner or we go out.

After son is in bed my parents call, I work on things which need doing (project, this house, issues with tenants, dealing with my son's fish etc. etc.) and Mrs. K. goes to bed at 10pm each evening. She gets up early and goes to work before my son and I get up. Apparently, she likes to arrive at work early because there's no traffic, so we don't really see each other at all from Monday - Friday. :(
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Alex, I'm glad I haven't offended you. Turns out Wishing has asked a really important question ... Little K needs to see the two of you together, and if absolutely **all** your energy is going into him and his development, he doesn't get that, and nor does he get the chance to just "be". You're such a loving dad, anyone with half an ear can tell that, but it might be time to dial it back just a tad. I can see how your wife's attitudes are heartbreaking to you, and I'm so sorry its reached this pitch - but honestly, there's some rebalancing needed. Have a think about her underlying agenda in wanting your son away at boarding school - is she really asking for more attention from you, for example? I have no idea if its true, and I'd never "diagnose over the web", but I'm just saying, look underneath whats going on.

HTH. I'll delete this if you want, just let me know.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Bluefire
    Bluefire Posts: 476 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    After son is in bed my parents call, I work on things which need doing (project, this house, issues with tenants, dealing with my son's fish etc. etc.) and Mrs. K. goes to bed at 10pm each evening. She gets up early and goes to work before my son and I get up. Apparently, she likes to arrive at work early because there's no traffic, so we don't really see each other at all from Monday - Friday. :(

I can only speak for myself, but if my husband spent so much time in an evening talking to his parents, continuing to work and dealing with fish that he couldn't even spare an hour to spend some time with me I wouldn't be happy. Obviously there are perhaps phone calls that need to be made early in the evening outside of working hours, but if Mrs K goes to bed earlier than you do could some of it not be put off until then?

It's important to make time for each other in any relationship outside that spent with a child. I don't think in any way that sending your son away is the solution to how Mrs K is feeling, but it seems something needs to change. Barely seeing each other Mon-Fri is no good for anyone.
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]08/13 £28,896.49[/STRIKE] 01/18 £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport