ill health army pension/army pension

Options
hi,just seen this section so thought i would ask the same question.
i have had a very small ill health army pension since april 2006 now 53 years old and was wondering if this was for life or do i get /claim army retirement pension at the appropraite time/age ?
was pension of 1,273.37 per year april 2006 terminal grant 3,820.11 pounds all back then
all help appreciated:beer:

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 August 2018 at 9:52PM
    Options
    Did you remain in AFPS75 or did you/could you switch to AFPS05?

You would have been 41 when you retired. Am I right in assuming that you joined up late, and so didn't accrue 22 years service?
  • gnr2461
    gnr2461 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi,thanks for replying,i have only know about the afps 75
    :beer:
  • gnr2461
    Options
    hi,joined 22-9-1981 (jlr) left 11-2-1989 rank gnr
    chee:beer:rs
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The pension was awarded in 2006 due to ill health I would presume because you could not work?

This would have been in lieu of what you could have claimed at he age of 60 from the Army.

IT should have increased each year April in line with the CPI from the previous September.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• gnr2461
    Options
    yes got it due to ill health 2006
    so the pension stays as it till i pop my clogs?
    can make a claim for more money from it?:beer:
  • Silvertabby
    edited 5 August 2018 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Still guessing here, but sounds like you did 6 years adult service and left in 1989 on reasons other than ill health?

If so, then you were entitled to a deferred pension based on your service and rank, which would ordinarily have been paid at 60.

However, you were awarded early payment on ill health grounds in 2006.

As Merlin says, you are now getting your full pension and I'm afraid there will be no further incease other than the annual cost of living (CPI) increases.
  • gnr2461
    Options
    hi thanks for the info,would you know if this would be the same for a civil service pension?same reasons given¿:beer:
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    gnr2461 wrote: »
    hi thanks for the info,would you know if this would be the same for a civil service pension?same reasons given¿:beer:

Was your civil service also deferred? If so, then yes - you would just get the pension you had earned, but paid early.

Ill health retirement from a current civil service job is another matter - they may award you an enhanced pension if you are unable to carry on working.
  • gnr2461
    Options
    hi ,civil service ill health was awarded 2007 early payment of preserved pension is what it says.took both ill health pensions as on esa/incapacity at same time .
    left cs 1994-95:beer:
  • Silvertabby
    edited 5 August 2018 at 9:48PM
    Options
    gnr2461 wrote: »
    hi ,civil service ill health was awarded 2007 early payment of preserved pension is what it says.took both ill health pensions as on esa/incapacity at same time .
    left cs 1994-95:beer:

In that case, your cs pension will also carry on as it is, with just annual inflation increases.

Just a thought, but was your disability caused by something that happened during your Army service? If so, it wouldn't hurt to talk to the British Legion. They may be able to advise if you are entitled to anything else.

Even if your Army service wasn't the cause, I'd still give them a ring to ask if there are any additional State benefits that you may be entitled to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure