New House, New Mortgage!

Comments

• jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Well after a very frustrating three weeks with no internet at home we finally have it! Not been very money saving lately, but not been very spendy either. Pay day today so will be off moving money around in a min! Very exciting! House is still amazing and our sofas arrived today! They look amazing and fill the room really well!

Glad to be back, have missed reading diaries!

Jodles
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • jodles16
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Yes its finally happened!!!!!

First mortgage payment and overpayment have gone through! I honestly felt so excited seeing the mortgage today, hubby thinks Im crazy!

Its gone from £185,553.91 to £185,107.52! Slowly but surely, overpaying £70 a month unless we can afford more. The Loan to Value has gone from 95.15% to 94.92%. Wooohoooo! Celebrating with a hot choc and Aldi version of a penguin, yum!

Almost can't wait till next month to see it change again!

Jodles :j:beer:
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

• jodles16
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Starting to get some decorating inspiration now we have been here over a month, enjoying pinteresting lots of ideas and colour schemes!

Having a work frustration, its really well paying and more flexible to my last job but Im getting frustrated by all the changes they keep implementing, wont get this wage anywhere else though and while the mortgage is so big we need the dosh! Its not an awful job by any stretch, just feel like I am never going to fall in love with my work and perhaps I need to change job area completely in the future!

Ah well! have got the council tax through and that will be going out on Nov 1st alongside the mortgage, I like it when they go out at the same time makes it nice and easy to see whether there is anything left! Still deciding what our emergency fund might be and what our priorities are for the house as there are loads of things we want to do, at least decorating can be relatively cheap if we just paint and use Arg*s to accessorise!

Jodles :D
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

• jodles16
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Sorry Lalman had somehow missed your post! Yeah the equity from our first place literally was 5% for the new one! First one was a cheap and cheerful starter home and it never occured to me there to make overpayments so we saved there and managed to pay for our wedding outright after 18months of saving and also me researching and doing a lot to keep costs down!

Now we have the bigger mortgage I am determined to try to reduce it as its scary!!

I also realised I fudged up my maths in the other posts, did not pay off that much of the mortgage, spent some time this morning trying to figure out how much of the payment goes on interest and how much goes on paying it off...found an equation to figure it out roughly (amount of mortgage x percent / months of the year, in our case 185000 x 4.99 / 12 = 770 interest a month). If we weren't overpaying by £70 a month then we would be paying off £163 a month...with the overpayment it works out as £233 a month. This has prompted me to wonder if with hubbys pay rise as well as mine we could up our monthly overpayments to £170 a month, therefore paying off £320 a month which in 2 years will mean we should own almost 10% of the property for when we re-mortgage. This would make a lot of sense and might mean we can get a better deal then!

Hmm, waiting for hubby to come home and see what he thinks...

1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

• jodles16
    Car Insurance Carver!
    So chatted to hubby who does what he normally does- tells me I know more than him and if I think its a good idea then why not! He also suggested using some savings, but we don't have that much and would like to keep it around really though bless him for trying to help!

So have upped the overpayments which should now be £170 extra a month though we can always reduce it if needed! Have some Tilly Tidies amounting to about £60 that Im going to grow then pay off in a lump sum, not sure if there is a minimum amount for a lump sum payment so will check it out!

Also figured out we are paying about £27 a day in interest! Ouch!

1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

• jodles16
    Car Insurance Carver!
    So our second mortgage payment should go out today but won't untill Monday! Overpaying by £170 a month now and Im going to carry on doing random Tilly Tidies to build up a little lump sum to add to the overpayment as well.

Got in touch with our old house insurance as we cancelled but they have taken two payments since, spoke to the nice chat people online and she has sorted it, apologised as they had confirmed the cancellation on our previous policy not the new one! So nice little refund which Im planning on squirelling away into the OP fund (about £35).

It was our first year wedding anniversary yesterday, or Halloversary as I like to call it! We went to our venue and they re-created the meal for us and it was delishious! The pumpkin soup was just gorgeous! Fab way to start our second married year!

Reflecting on the year since we got married hubby has had a promotion and I changed jobs and then we moved house as well as going to Mexico for our Honeymoon! Been a busy year and Im looking forward to what lies ahead for this year, hopefully nothing too big though!

Happy halloween for yesterday everyone!

Jodles :D:beer::D
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

• jodles16
    Car Insurance Carver!
    So been to check on the mortgage today, its now at £184,839.01 and LTV 94.78%, this means we have knocked a grand total of £268.71 off the mortgage this month! Seems crazy when we are overpaying by £170!!

Going to sort out my emergency tax today which should mean that I will get a little extra in my monthly wage and that will go into the house/emergency fund!

Also noticed our field and garden have been collecting water so got some big puddles that are beginning to look like ponds...something to work on next year I think! Digging a trench of some kind, dogs love it though, my big girl will run straight into them and stand there panting and looking at me, so funny! Going through dog towels quite quickly!

1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

• jodles16
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Woohoo! Have just made a random £100 overpayment made up mainly of Tilly tidies and tiny bits of interest since I started posting on here! Lovely lady on the phone told me I can overpay by up to £18k, to which I giggled and said its only a £100 but every penny counts!

Also have started on our gas bottles now, so from the 4th November, interested to find out how long it will last, its £110 for two bottles so very expensive. We have underfloor heating and we were told to leave it on low all the time as the heat up time is not quick and its more efficient if left on, so fingers crossed!

Have started a holiday fund too for 2016, looking at possibly going to Vegas Baby!

1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Good luck in your journey brilliant work to start overpaying straight away. As paying is a marathon I am also cheering the saving for a good holiday.
  • jodles16
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Thanks Tootallulah! Its good for the soul!

Seem to have ran my account dry this month already, well not dry but less than normal can only think its buying presents and spending more than I realised! Ah well should have enough to last just have to be thoughtful about what I buy.

Planning to get an emergency/house fund of 2k, currently its £1400, so not too bad!

Vegas is currently at £1200 as I had 1k from my first job as they messed up everyones annual leave, I figured Vegas is a great thing to spend it on as its more my dream holiday than hubbys! Plus he has said if we have anything left I can use it to save up for something else...another holiday maybe?!

Sorting out drivers licence and plan on sorting out emergency tax as well that money would be useful as really would like the house fund to be more but we are buying stuff for the house so spending it as well...

Tilly tidying my account at least once a week to keep going with my on mini savings, once I have about £100 again I will pay it to the mortgage! Feeling money aware and as much as I like it it can feel a bit overwhelming!

Hope everyones having a fab weekend, only 12days to payday :eek:!

1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure