Ask a StepChange (formerly CCCS) counsellor a bankruptcy question

Options

Comments

• skiloz
    Options
    hi there
    i am about to file for bankruptcy, could you tell me if i need an appointment at the county court or can i just turn up as i have been trying to phone the court for three days now and cannot get speaking to anyone
  • Former_StepChange_Laura
    Former_StepChange_Laura Posts: 63 Organisation Representative
    Options
    skiloz wrote: »
    hi there
    i am about to file for bankruptcy, could you tell me if i need an appointment at the county court or can i just turn up as i have been trying to phone the court for three days now and cannot get speaking to anyone

Hi skiloz,

Thanks for your message. It’ll depend on the court as to whether you can just turn up without an appointment. If you can’t get through to them over the phone, you could visit in person to try and make an appointment. Alternatively you could check to see if there’s another phone number or email address you can contact for your court on this website: https://courttribunalfinder.service.gov.uk/search/

Kind regards,

Laura
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at [url="http://www.needtosleep.org]Need to Sleep[/url]

• 77blondie
    77blondie Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can you tell me if you receive a personal injury claim when bankrupt can the OR lay claim to it? None of it is for loss of earnings. Thanks
    bankrupt may
  • StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    77blondie wrote: »
    Hi can you tell me if you receive a personal injury claim when bankrupt can the OR lay claim to it? None of it is for loss of earnings. Thanks

Hi 77blondie,

It's hard to give advice without knowing all the ins and outs. My understanding is that the OR could potentially be interested in money recevied from a personal injury claim but this depends on what the money received relates to - I'd expect they'd be more interested in a claim related to lost earnings over one for compensation for distress caused.

I'd recommend speaking to your OR's office and seeking their advice. If you'd like a second opinion then you can contact the Insolvency Service to check with them: https://www.gov.uk/the-insolvency-service.

Kind regards

James
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity (formerly CCCS) and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

• redhead90
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm really hoping I can get some good advice.
    About 4 years ago my partner took out a loan with his ex for about £20,000. However they split up, they tried to continue paying the loan but couldn't afford too. So my partners ex sneakily declared herself bankrupt. The loan I assume is now all in my partners name, no payments have been made on the loan for at least 2 years. It's now just over 30,000 on the loan that my partner owes. He also has a few other debts which probably equal to about £5000. We simply can not afford to pay them back. We have just had a baby, I am currently on maternity leave, getting SMP which as everyone knows is nothing! My partner works but with our incomes together we can just afford to live. We couldn't afford to pay all that debt. And every month that passes it gets worse. How do we even begin to start the bankruptcy process and would we get any help with fees? If we had a spare 700 we would be paying some debt off!
  • StepChange_Jen
    StepChange_Jen Posts: 102 Organisation Representative
    Options
    redhead90 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm really hoping I can get some good advice.
    About 4 years ago my partner took out a loan with his ex for about £20,000. However they split up, they tried to continue paying the loan but couldn't afford too. So my partners ex sneakily declared herself bankrupt. The loan I assume is now all in my partners name, no payments have been made on the loan for at least 2 years. It's now just over 30,000 on the loan that my partner owes. He also has a few other debts which probably equal to about £5000. We simply can not afford to pay them back. We have just had a baby, I am currently on maternity leave, getting SMP which as everyone knows is nothing! My partner works but with our incomes together we can just afford to live. We couldn't afford to pay all that debt. And every month that passes it gets worse. How do we even begin to start the bankruptcy process and would we get any help with fees? If we had a spare 700 we would be paying some debt off!

Hi there,

Thanks for posting.

We often see situations where joint debts become the responsibility of one person, which can seem overwhelming and difficult to deal with, especially at a time when your budget is tight and you’ve got other priorities to be dealing with, but rest assured there is help available.

Bankruptcy is a big step to take and isn’t always right for everyone, but in some cases it may be the best way forward. It’s just one of many different debt solutions, however first it’s important to get the right advice and look at your whole situation before deciding the right solution.

As a charity, we can help you with this. We offer free, impartial and confidential debt advice and solutions based on your specific situation. There’s two ways you can get help from us:

1. Give our Helpline a call and chat with an advisor about your situation. They’ll be able to take information about your income, budgets and debts to suggest a debt solution to suit you. You can find out how to get in touch with our Helpline here: http://www.stepchange.org/Contactus.aspx

2. Or you could use our online tool Debt Remedy which works in a similar way to our Helpline. The difference is that instead of talking with an advisor, you enter your information online and Debt Remedy will suggest an action plan to help deal with your debts. You can find Debt Remedy here: http://www.stepchange.org/Debtremedy.aspx

If bankruptcy is the right solution for you, our advisors will be able to help you with the process and let you know if you qualify for any exemptions or help with bankruptcy fees.

I hope this helps but if you’ve got any more questions please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Jen

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at [url="http://www.needtosleep.org]Need to Sleep[/url]

• StepChange_Jen
    StepChange_Jen Posts: 102 Organisation Representative
    Options
    k121 wrote: »
    Myself and my partner started an IVA in Sept 2009,payments were made but due one late payment our IVA was terminated in 2011. In the termination letter it states that the Supervisor's thought it not necessary to petition for bankruptcy, therefore our joint supervisors cease to act for us and no further reports to creditors will be sent. We had debt with Egg/Barclaycard/HSBC, the only contact we have had is a letter from Eversheds/Max Recovery who had bought the HSBC debt (last letter received from them was sept 2012, we have not contacted them back)it stated we do not need to contact them and they are just informing us, no further action is need. No other letters or contact asking for monies had been received from anyone. Just a little uneasy, I know it reads very much stick your head in the sand and ignore all, but after 4 years of no contact from the people we took the IVA out with and nearly 6 years from EGG/Barclaycard I am just looking for some advice on what to do? Do I contact these people or will my credit file be clear due to 6 year ruling. The HSBC debt is showing settled 2011 on my credit file but with a default balance. I also certain the we are owed PPI from HSBC/EGG/Barclaycard but we have always been too scared to attempt to claim for it. The 6 years is up this sept

Hi there,

Thanks for posting.

You mentioned that you think the debts may become statute barred after six years.

A debt becomes statute barred if you don’t acknowledge or make payments towards it for six years and if a creditor hasn’t issued a CCJ against you for it.

If a debt is statute barred, it means your creditors can’t chase you for it or take legal action to get repayments. However it doesn’t mean that the debt is no longer owed.

If you’re looking for more information about statute barred debts, we have a blogpost about it here:

http://moneyaware.co.uk/2013/10/statute-barred-debt/

Our general stance is that we’d always encourage you to take the steps to deal with your debt.

If this is something you’d like to do and feel you’d struggle with, we can offer you free advice and support.

If you want to get in touch with us, you can find out how to do this here: http://www.stepchange.org/Contactus.aspx

I hope this helps. If you’ve got any more questions please let us know.

Jen

• CORNWALL
    CORNWALL Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Can we delay repossession until June 2016.
    June 2015 is the last month of the first 12 months of Bankruptcy.
    We were hoping to stay in our house until June 2016 which is when the interest-only mortgage term ends and we would have had to repay the mortgage capital. We can't because we are now bankrupt.
    The Bankruptcy Trustee has written to say that after July 2015 they can apply to court to repossess.
    We were hoping to stay here until June 2016 and then find rented accommodation.
    Is there any way we can ask for repossession to be delayed until June 2016 ?
    Would be very grateful for comments. Thank you.
  • dizzybee
    dizzybee Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi,
    need some advice please i am currently on a DRO but am having major problems with the DWP, they contacted my employer to do a attachment of earnings just after the DRO was granted this was canceled after i and the insolvency service contacted them, on fri i received my pay slip and noticed a attachment of earnings contacted my employer today to be told its DWP,spoke to DWP and they say they know nothing about it until i explained i had contacted my employer,is there any way to get them from keep doing this.feel like i'm banging me head against a brick wall.

SPC no:076
  • StepChange_James
    StepChange_James Posts: 861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    CORNWALL wrote: »
    Can we delay repossession until June 2016.
    June 2015 is the last month of the first 12 months of Bankruptcy.
    We were hoping to stay in our house until June 2016 which is when the interest-only mortgage term ends and we would have had to repay the mortgage capital. We can't because we are now bankrupt.
    The Bankruptcy Trustee has written to say that after July 2015 they can apply to court to repossess.
    We were hoping to stay here until June 2016 and then find rented accommodation.
    Is there any way we can ask for repossession to be delayed until June 2016 ?
    Would be very grateful for comments. Thank you.

Hi Cornwall,

Thanks for posting and apologies for the delay in replying.

I think the mortgage company are the best people to speak to about this. Whether they're willing to come to an arrangement will depend on what you're able to offer them in terms of monthly payments.

The other factor is whether the trustee is interested in any equity in the property. I'm completely in the dark about your situation but may be worth checking in with your trustee to make sure you know what they're thinking about the property.

Kind regards

James

If money worries are keeping you awake, read Paul's success story at Need to Sleep

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback