Warning and advice about LCS Utility Investigation Civil Enforcement Debt Recoveries

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 18 April 2011 at 5:09AM
    It just happened to me. I got a letter from the same people saying I am responsible for the gas and electric supply from my previous address from 7 December 2009 to 18th july 2010. But I moved out of my old address on 6th Dec 2009 and British Gas closed both my gas and electric account the following day.when I gave them my final meter reader for that address. I am now living at a new address where I have been living since 6th dec 2009.

And I can prove that I moved out of my old address on 6th Dec 2009.As I am on benefits and my the benefits people will not pay housing benefit for 2 addresses. So it would be impossible for me to be still living at my old address as well as my new address. And I am a council tennant and my old address was a temporarily flat with the council which they moved me out of on 6th Dec 2009 to a permanent flat. Which is where I am now. I have been living at my new home since 6th Dec 2009 not at my old home which I moved out of on 6th Dec 2009.

And British Gas said all their records of me are up to date and they did close my gas and electric account at my old address on 6th dec 2009.

Which means I am NOT responsible for paying any bills at my old address from 7th Dec 2009 to 18th July 2010 because I moved out on 6th Dec 2009,so I no longer live there. And all my bills from the old address were all paid up. British gas told me I did not owe them anything outstanding from my old address. And I am still with British Gas here at my new and current address. And my account here is in good standing all my payments are up to date and my bills have been paid.

So I just don't know why I have been sent this letter from LCS a company I have never heard of until now. The DSS and the council who moved me from my other address to this one KNOW that I moved out of my old address on 6th Dec 2009 to this address where I am now.
    So how can they be asking me for money for gas and electric at my old address from7th Dec 2009 to 18th July 2010,when I am no longer living there. And everybody the DSS,the council and all of the official people know it?

British Gas KNOW I moved out of my old address on 6th Dec 2009 and closed my account for my old address. I made sure that they did.

I advise you to get in touch with your gas and electric company as they should know the date you moved out of your old address. Are you sure that you gave them a final meter reading the day you moved out of your old home? And did you make sure that they closed your gas and electric account for your old address? This is something YOU MUST always do,when you move house. So you do not end up paying someone else's bill.

I do not owe any money for my old address from 7th Dec 2009 to 18th July 2010. Because I moved out on the 6th Dec 2009 as I explained so I am not obliged to pay that bill for my old address. What they are saying is NONSENSE. And if I have to I will seek advice from a lawyer/solicitor if they do take action against me. Barbara.
  • Culex
    Culex Posts: 776 Forumite
    Widelats wrote: »
    The latest installment of this ongoing regime of threats, lies and deceit is as follows. I just wish they'd hurry up and take it to court, i'd like to see how much it costs them or British Gas for a failed case.
    I doubt that even they would be so utterly stupid.

However, he/she/it/they did write this:
    Balance £138.73
    Should legal action become necessary and the court order remains unpaid the following may take place:
    A Bankruptcy Petition may be made in line with legislation and balance on the account.
    Oh yes?

That would be a really clever trick, if they could do it.

Does anyone know how they'd make someone bankrupt for £138.73? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • System
    Community Admin
    edited 19 April 2011 at 10:56PM
    I moved out of my old address on 6th Dec 2009. And I phoned British Gas,on 6th Dec 2009. and gave them my final meter reading. For my Gas and electric and they said they closed my account for my old address. And sent me the final bill forwarded to my new address. Which showed I was all paid up for my old address and that they closed my account for my old address.

But as you know I got a letter from LCS Dept collectors saying I owed British Gas money for Gas and electric at my old address. from 6th Dec2009 to 18th July 2010. But I moved out of my old address on 6th Dec 2009.

So I phoned Britsh Gas because when I phoned LCS they were rude to me and closed the phone on me. And I found out from British Gas that I do owe money for utilities at my old address from 6th Dec 2009 to 18th July 2010 despite the fact that I moved out on 6th Dec 2009.

The reason is that listen to this-They said-when I gave my final meter reading on 6th Dec 2009,Britsh Gas did close my account. BUT it was opened again the following day again in my name! It is an error on their part not mine.

I asked them how do I straighten this out? They told me, I have to go to the council and get a letter from them confirming I moved out of my old flat on 6th Dec 2009. And then send the letter of confirmation from the council to British Gas and they wil let it go. As the letter that I moved out on 6th Dec 2009 is proof that I left my old address at that date and that I have not lived there since that time.

So I went to the council today and they wrote a letter confirming this. And I am going to send it to British Gas.

I suggest you too should get a letter or something in writing from your landlord,or whoever is in charge of your last address where they want to bill you from. As evidence that you moved out of your old flat when you said you did. And proof that you are no longer living there.

Actually,each time I phone up British Gas I get a different customer service advisor. And each one tells me a different story confusing me further. The last one I spoke to said I don't need a letter from the council and I don't owe money. The next person I speak to says I do. So I am just going to send in the letter from the council confirming that I moved out of my old flat the day I said. I just want my problem resolved.

I am very angry that they are accusing me of owing money and are trying to bill me for utilities used after I left my old address. When I made it clear to them at the time that I have moved out on the date I said. And yet they are billing me for gas and electric used after the time I moved out which is not my responsibly. As I clearly told them on 6th dec 2009 that I am moving out today and they said they took the final meter readings and closed my account. But now 18 months later I get a letter out of the blue telling me I owe money.When I am not even living at that address any more. They are asking for £130 but it is not the point. Barbara.
  • Culex
    Culex Posts: 776 Forumite
    annbarbs wrote: »
    I asked them how do I straighten this out? They told me, I have to go to the council and get a letter from them confirming I moved out of my old flat on 6th Dec 2009. And then send the letter of confirmation from the council to British Gas and they wil let it go. As the letter that I moved out on 6th Dec 2009 is proof that I left my old address at that date and that I have not lived there since that time.

So I went to the council today and they wrote a letter confirming this. And I am going to send it to British Gas.
    How much are British Gas going to pay you for the time, trouble and inconvenience their error has caused you?
  • System
    Community Admin
    edited 19 April 2011 at 2:12PM
    I agree with you. First of all it is unbelievable that the customer services advisor could be so stupid.British Gas knew I was moving because I told them two weeks before the move.They told me to give a final meter reading on the day I move out so that they can close my account and send me a final bill,to my new address.

So I phoned British Gas on 6th Dec 2009 the day I moved out to give them a final meter reading to closed my account. But the next day they reopened the account in my name and did not tell me. So when I moved to my new address the account at my old address had NOT been closed and has been open all of this time,due to THEIR error. Which is so stupid.

As it is obvious that if I am moving out which they knew I was before I told them. After I rung to close the account to pay the final bill which I did. Why did they re-open it again in my name the next day,when I made it very clear to them that I am moving? Are these customer services advisor's thick or something?

As I am still with British Gas at my new address. They did not have to go behind my back to the LCS dept agency. If they had a query about my old address they should have just told me themselves. At the time I moved into my new address. That my account at the old address is still open and just asked me if I am still living there.

Then I would have just told them no. And would have been happy to produce the letter from the council then. To prove that I have moved out of my old address. And they would have realised their mistake and just closed the account like they should have done then.

But instead they have chosen not to check that they have the correct details regarding my address and spring this on me now. Eighteen months after I have moved out of my old address. Through a third party,LCS, accusing me of still living at my old address and not paying any bills there.

It is also on my credit report that I owe money to British Gas for my old address when I don't. Which could blot my credit record for nothing.

It is humiliating to be accused of not paying my bills and owing money when I don't. Because I am no longer living at my old address. And also I am on benefits which is hard,yet I am paying every penny of my bills that I am supposed to pay. AND I have payed every bill for my time at my old address. And yet they are trying to bill me from 6th Dec 2009 to 18th July 2010. Which is eight months or maybe more perhaps. Time I have NEVER even lived at that address and something that the next tenant that has moved in there should be paying,not me. Barbara.
  • System
    Community Admin
    edited 19 September 2011 at 4:32PM
    UPDATE- I spoke to British Gas on the phone just now. They said that they have made a mistake and I do not have to pay any gas or electric bill for my old address from 6th Dec 2009 to 18th July 2010 as they know I moved out on 6th Dec 2009. And the reopening of my account at my old address was an error on their part not mine.

They told me to just send in that letter I have got from the council confirming I moved from my old address on 6th Dec 2009,which I have on me. And they will talk to the dept agency on my behalf and they will close the case.

And British Gas will then send me a letter confirming I do not owe any money for my previous address between those dates and will not be billed for them.They have also told me that they will amend the incorrect information they have put on my credit report for me.Which refers to my old address and not my present one.

So it seems that I just have to send in my letter from the council which I have got from them. To British Gas and the problem is solved. So that is what I will do. And I will make sure they put it in writing to me that I do not owe any money for my old address. Barbara.
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    annbarbs wrote: »
    UPDATE- I spoke to British Gas on the phone just now. They said that they have made a mistake and I do not have to pay any gas or electric bill for my old address from 6th Dec 2009 to 18th July 2010 as they know I moved out on 6th Dec 2009. And the reopening of my account at my old address was an error on their part not mine.

They told me to just send in that letter I have got from the council confirming I moved from my old address on 6th Dec 2009,which I have on me. And they will talk to the credit agency on my behalf and they will close the case.

And British Gas will then send me a letter confirming I do not owe any money for my previous address between those dates and will not be billed for them.They have also told me that they will amend the incorrect information they have put on my credit report for me.Which refers to my old address and not my present one.

So it seems that I just have to send in my letter from the council which I have got from them. To British Gas and the problem is solved. So that is what I will do. And I will make sure they put it in writing to me that I do not owe any money for my old address. Barbara.

Hi Barbra, British Gas told me this too, to send a letter to them stating the date i moved in, but i on the other hand should not have to do this after all, it is their mistake so i emailed them and said either provide me with the contract agreement that states i was the account holder before i moved in, or dismiss this debt immediately - they said i was correct and did not have to prove anything as it was them who had to prove i was liable.

In the end Brit Gas has phoned me saying that actually the previous tenant had died, and that i was being chased for a dead mans debts by LCS, but they have contacted LCS and closed the debt, i also demanded a email stating that they had closed the debt which they did email me and i have heard no more from LCS now.

Seems British Gas service is terrible, the mistakes they make are massive and many in number and cause no end of problems, hope they have sorted yours now.

So, if a company like brit gas demands payment from debt collection agencies like LCS, it is up to LCS and British Gas to prove you are the debtor, you don't have to prove a thing to them, and you should always ignore any letters or demands made by debt collection agencies, have no contact with them and never give them any information ever.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • System
    Community Admin
    edited 26 April 2011 at 4:46PM
    Hi Barbra, British Gas told me this too, to send a letter to them stating the date i moved in, but i on the other hand should not have to do this after all, it is their mistake so i emailed them and said either provide me with the contract agreement that states i was the account holder before i moved in, or dismiss this debt immediately - they said i was correct and did not have to prove anything as it was them who had to prove i was liable.

In the end Brit Gas has phoned me saying that actually the previous tenant had died, and that i was being chased for a dead mans debts by LCS, but they have contacted LCS and closed the debt, i also demanded a email stating that they had closed the debt which they did email me and i have heard no more from LCS now.

Seems British Gas service is terrible, the mistakes they make are massive and many in number and cause no end of problems, hope they have sorted yours now.

So, if a company like brit gas demands payment from debt collection agencies like LCS, it is up to LCS and British Gas to prove you are the debtor, you don't have to prove a thing to them, and you should always ignore any letters or demands made by debt collection agencies, have no contact with them and never give them any information ever.

Well,British Gas have told me that as soon as they get that letter from the council that says and proves that I was not living at my old address between those dates. Because I moved out on 6th Dec.2009 they will close the case. And I believe them. But I have already made a complaint to British Gas complaints department about the way I have been treated.

Telling them that if customer services had left my account at my old address open by mistake. They should have just told me that at the time 18 months ago when I moved to my new address. And if they asked me to,I would have got a letter from the council then. To prove that I had moved out of my old address.

Then they could have closed the account at my old address,which they should have done,there and then. I also said in my complaint that they should not have gone behind my back to the dept people without telling me first. Because how did I know that my account was still open at my old address,if British Gas never told me?

My complaint was a verbal one over the telephone but I am going to put it in writing and send my second copy of my letter from the council. To the complaints department, like the man on the phone who is taking up my complaint asked me to.

I have sent the letter from the council to British Gas normal post, but if they for some reason do not get it. I will send the next one registered post or special delivery. Being Easter the post may be slow.

But I advise you to talk to British Gas again on the phone not just by email on the Internet. As then at least you are speaking to a real person. And do what I did and make a complaint, to the complaints department.

British Gas have told me I do not need to talk to LCS and that LCS will not contact me again. As they(British Gas) are dealing with it. So after they get my letter from the council,I expect them to close the case. And I should ask them to confirm it in writing that I will not be billed for my old address.

And I advise you to do the same as I did,rather than just do nothing and ignore the letter. That is just making it worse. You have to just talk to British Gas and tell them of their mistake. And also if necessary put it in writing. Barbara
  • System
    Community Admin
    edited 4 May 2011 at 2:06AM
    Widelats wrote-

03/02/2011

NOTIFICATION OF OUTSTANDING PAYMENT

Regarding duel fuel at ????? (my address) between 22/05/2010 and 24/10/2010.

Despite previous attempts to secure payment on the casewe have not yet found a resolution with you and are now let with no alternative than to pursue you for the full amount. Therefore it is with regret that you leave us with no alternative but to pass your account to either:

Solicitors - who may issue legal proceedings
    A local Representative who may call at your home to secure payment. Please note that there may be a charge for missed visits.

Our clients will not close this matter until full payment has been recieved. If for any reason you are unable to do this is imperative and in your best interest (their typing error not mine) to contact us immediately on 0844 543 9084 or email contact@lcsdr.com quoting the above reference umber.

Should legal action become necessary and the court order remains unpaid the following may take place:
    A Bankruptcy Petition may be made in line with legislation and balance on the account.
    A deduction under court order directly from your employer (Attachment of earnings).
    Seizure of your personal belongings by a court appointed bailiff.
    County Court Judgement) (their spelling error again, not mine) or Scottish Decree in Scotland - registered for up to 6 years - resulting in difficulty in obtaining further credit.

You should also be aware that you would be liable for considerable cost and interest if legal action were taken. We therefore urge you to act quickly and pay this account today before any unnecessary action and charges are brought.

The quickest payment method is by telephone using a debit/credit card. All postal payments should be sent to the above address quoting our reference number and made payable to LCS or Leeds Consultancy Service. Alternaatively visit our website where you can pay online at firstnow.co.uk

Rebecca Carter

LCS - Civil Enforcement.

UPDATE-THIS MORNING I GOT THE SAME LETTER FROM LCS AS THE ONE ABOVE. As you know I have now made a complaint to British Gas by telephone. And although I did send the billing department of British Gas that letter from the council proving I moved out of my old address on 6th Dec 2009 and have not lived there since that time. And so I am NOT responsible for the gas and electric between dates 7th Dec 2009 to 18th July 2010. It is possible that the letter could be late due to the 2 week bank holiday.

I phoned LCS and explained British Gas's error that they closed my account on 6th Dec 2009 at my old address but reopened it again on 7th Dec 2009 but did not tell me this.That is why I have this problem.LCS told me to send them that letter from the council of which I have made several copies of to them.As proof that I did move out on 6th Dec 2009 and they will close the case.

But I do not trust them and I phoned the man in British Gas who is dealing with my complaint,I will call him Bob but it is not his real name.Bob said to send him another copy of the letter from the council and I will do that tomorrow and I will also send him that horrible letter above from LCS so he can see it.This time I will send it special delivery so it does not get lost in the post.

Actually the billing department said today they did get my letter from the council and I do not owe any money for that address. And Bob from British Gas who is dealing with my complaint tried to speak to LCS on my behalf but they would not speak to him.

So it seems that British Gas are already satisfied that I do not owe money for my old address and Bob told me he will forward the information and letter from the council to LCS.

Note that British Gas also told me last time I spoke to them two weeks ago. That I do not need to talk to or deal with LCs about this matter,and just speak to British Gas. They also told me that LCS would not be contacting me again to pursue me for the money. But today I got another letter from them.

And yes,I did send LCS the letter today, from the council proving I moved out of my old address on the dates I said I did. And I also added my own letter,telling them that they do have my permission to speak to British Gas about regarding this matter. And I also told them that they are wrong to harass me in this way. With such a nasty letter, and that they should get their facts right, before they accuse me of a debt that does not exist.And I sent that letter to LCS special delivery so they cannot say they have not got it.

Also two weeks ago,when this all started,LCS phoned me to ask me if I would give them my permission to speak to British Gas about my case.And I did give them my consent.But as soon as I told them,"yes they can talk to British Gas." They closed the phone on me. So I do not know what happened after that.

So it seems that British Gas are going to let it go. But now because of the nature of that letter above from LCS and that LCS refused to speak to Bob of British Gas complaints department about me. I am worried that despite the fact that I have sent LCS the letter from the council and proving I moved out on 6th Dec 2009. And that British Gas are trying to talk to LCS but LCS won't speak to them. I am worried that LCS will not let it go. And that they may indeed take legal action against me to get the money from me. Which I do not owe.

Obviously when LCS get that letter from the council sent by me. And when Bob of British Gas sends his copy of my letter from the council to them. And tells them that British Gas are satisfied that I was NOT living at my old address after 6th Dec 2009. And that British gas DO NOT want any money from me for those dates because I do not owe them. LCS should then close the case.

But if LCS despite all of this do not and they do pursue me for the debt that British Gas says I do not owe them.Or if LCS do take legal action against me. Then I will have to get a solicitor or lawyer as I won't be able to deal with this on my own.

And I have been advised by community legal services that if LCS do take legal action against me. Then I must go to the citizens Advice Bureau or see a solicitor or lawyer. If this happens.

But I hope that once LCs get my letter and the correct information from British Gas. That they will close the case. Barbara.
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Barbara, LCS do not have a contract with you, they have a contract with British Gas, if they say they are not speaking to British Gas then they are telling lies again, i told you, warned you and advised you not to talk to LCS no matter what but you did, now they may well pursue you but they won't win, they have bought the debt from British Gas at a reduced price, and will do whatever it takes by foul means rather than fair, to get you to pay up - stay strong, they will lose any court case.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure