Energy myth-busting: Is it cheaper to have heating on all day?

Comments

• cairndog
    cairndog Posts: 226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ;)

Maggie May's going to ban them soon anyway...[/QUOTE]

Not where I live out "in the sticks " I think she's after urban/town areas.
    Now we'll have a Minister for ( or against? ) Logburners!!:D
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,574 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    cairndog wrote: »
    ;)

Maggie May's going to ban them soon anyway...

Not where I live out "in the sticks " I think she's after urban/town areas.
    Now we'll have a Minister for ( or against? ) Logburners!!:D
    Nah, it'll be a whole government body. Look out for OFLOG. :rotfl:

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• orrery
    orrery Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    victor2 wrote: »
    Nah, it'll be a whole government body. Look out for OFLOG. :rotfl:

Well, it wouldn't be a surprise that they've introduced flogging too.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • JDogg
    JDogg Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    In answer to the question "Should I have the gas fire on in the living room, or all the radiators in the house?"
    You said "There is no one answer for this. It's highly dependent on the heating system you use, and the usage in other areas of the house."

I used to work for British Gas and was a member of a small team that was trained as "Energy Experts". The advice we were given was that it was actually cheaper to heat the whole house with gas central heating than it was to heat just one room with a gas fire, with the added benefit that when you left the room you did not feel cold as the whole house is the same temperature.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    JDogg wrote: »
    II used to work for British Gas and was a member of a small team that was trained as "Energy Experts". The advice we were given was that it was actually cheaper to heat the whole house with gas central heating than it was to heat just one room with a gas fire, with the added benefit that when you left the room you did not feel cold as the whole house is the same temperature.

So I live in a house with 57 rooms! all badly insulated.

I will now heat them all to save me money!
  • orrery
    I used to work for British Gas and was a member of a small team that was trained as "Energy Experts". The advice we were given was that it was actually cheaper to heat the whole house with gas central heating than it was to heat just one room with a gas fire...

Probably true for my Mum's semi - where she has an efficient boiler and an open gas fire which appears very inefficient.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The ultimate scheme, rather than taking a thermostat from room to room, would be a sort of space suit that you plug in to electricity or maybe hot water wherever you happen to be. Easier to put on an extra sweater though.
  • malc_b
    malc_b Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I used to work for British Gas and was a member of a small team that was trained as "Energy Experts". The advice we were given was that it was actually cheaper to heat the whole house with gas central heating than it was to heat just one room with a gas fire, with the added benefit that when you left the room you did not feel cold as the whole house is the same temperature.

Not unreasonable with a normal sized house. A modern boiler would be 90% efficient. An open gas fire would be 50% and it would suck air out of the house at a faster rate. When you heat just one room you're still heating the rest of the house as the insulation is in the house walls and roof, not between rooms. Consider you heat one room and it is 0C outside. The heated room will be 20C but the rest of the house won't be 0C will it? So heat from the one room must be leaking to the other rooms otherwise they'd be the same temperature as outside.
  • orrery
    reeac wrote: »
    The ultimate scheme, rather than taking a thermostat from room to room....

It is a useful technique, though.

I'm trying to train my Mum to leave the heating on 24/7, take the thermostat to bed and turn it down to 18. In the morning, from her bed, turn it up to 20/21, then leave it in the hall all day, taking it back upstairs at night. Similarly, down to 18 if she leaves the house.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    orrery wrote: »
    It is a useful technique, though.

I'm trying to train my Mum to leave the heating on 24/7, take the thermostat to bed and turn it down to 18. In the morning, from her bed, turn it up to 20/21, then leave it in the hall all day, taking it back upstairs at night. Similarly, down to 18 if she leaves the house.
    Hi

However, if the heating system is balanced to provide lower temperatures in the bedrooms than in the main living areas you may find that the rest of the house overheats and the cost of your mum's energy rockets .... worse still, if the bedroom has TRVs and they are set lower than the controlling unit then the system likely won't cut out until some parts of the property are unbearably warm! ... it depends on whether the thermostat is actually the controller, or just a remote display, but you really need to consider what the effect on your mum's bill will be if it's not setup properly!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure