Anyone know how Maintenance Loans are calculated?

Hi all

My son is hoping to go to Uni September 2019. My income for 2019/20 will be quite a bit higher than 2018/19 and I was just wondering about the calculation of his maintenance loan. Is it calculated on household income when he applies for the loan - or is it calculated on his parents income at the end of the previous tax year? Cant seem to find the answer to this question online!

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi all

My son is hoping to go to Uni September 2019. My income for 2019/20 will be quite a bit higher than 2018/19 and I was just wondering about the calculation of his maintenance loan. Is it calculated on household income when he applies for the loan - or is it calculated on his parents income at the end of the previous tax year? Cant seem to find the answer to this question online!

If he's a dependent student (i.e. aged under 25 at the start of the academic year) then the income used is the parental income for the prior but one tax year. So for 2019/20 the tax year used is 2017/18.

If he's an independent student (i.e. aged 25 or over) then it's his estimated income for the academic year in which he is studying that is used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure