Electric cars

Comments

• David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    I suppose to be fair silverwhistle, I do put our Jazz on trickle charge every few weeks of non use, so that would equate to popping some juice into an electric periodically cost wise!
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 9:21AM
    Some interesting 2018 US EV data.

US EV Sales Surpass 2% In 2018 — 9 EV Sales Charts

Ok, the huge jump from 1.16% to 2.08% is almost entirely down to the TM3, but it's not like that car is going away, and other (non-Tesla's) are rolling out, so that's great.

My eye was caught by the chart showing that peak ICE for light vehicle sales in the US was reached in 2016.

For me, from an environmental point of view, I think this looks promising if other manufacturers look to EV's at scale, especially light trucks, we may see the start of the 'S' curve.

Edit - and a shout out for the Zoe in France:

Renault Zoe Pulls French EV Market To New Heights — #CleanTechnica Electric Car Sales Report
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Big changes ahead are being predicted ...... no, there's a surprise!

Stricken carmakers stall at the crossroads of a radical future
    But it is the long-term structural issues that cast the longest shadows. Electrification, autonomous vehicle development and the threat posed by ride-hailing services to personal vehicle sales pose challenges that not all companies will be able to meet.

According to Williams, the industry has seen nothing like this since Henry Ford’s Model T rolled off the production line in 1908. “In that [following] period, the US industry defined the idea of the people’s car – an internal combustion engine with a gearbox and so on,” he said.

“What happened after world war two was that the Europeans and Japanese downsized the model. But European cars like the VW Beetle, the Fiat 500, the Mini, would all have been recognised by Henry Ford. The real big thing is that the car, as Ford and General Motors invented it, is going to be reinvented with electrification and autonomy.”

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    docmatt wrote: »
    If I left the Tesla for two months it would be dead as a doornail and would need recovery. In these current temps I’d expect 2% a day loss. Leafs are pretty good I think not like Tesla’s.
    It’s called ‘Vampire Drain’ if you want to google it.

Are there any problems with letting it run totally flat and just recharge it the day before bringing it back into use?

Presumably, with a drain level like that the car is still doing something even when not in use, do I wonder if there's scope for a hibernate mode.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Are there any problems with letting it run totally flat and just recharge it the day before bringing it back into use?
    There certainly used to be with the original Tesla Roadster (the Lotus Elise-based one). Letting that go flat-flat (Tesla said 11 weeks from 100% charge) meant the battery was "bricked", and officially needed replacing completely, although it's entirely likely people have come up with workarounds now.

Tesla swore blind on the Model S launch that it wasn't a problem any more.

https://www.cnet.com/news/tesla-you-cant-brick-model-s-batteries/
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I see that Nissan have not bothered with a proper battery thermal management system in their 62 kWh Leaf. They've put in some sort of fan to try and cool the battery pack when it's rapid charging. Other makers have a decent system that keeps the battery pack at a constant temperature that will maximise its life.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Overpriced
  • Martyn1981
    NigeWick wrote: »
    I see that Nissan have not bothered with a proper battery thermal management system in their 62 kWh Leaf. They've put in some sort of fan to try and cool the battery pack when it's rapid charging. Other makers have a decent system that keeps the battery pack at a constant temperature that will maximise its life.

From what I've read and watched, their decision has not garnered any praise. Some of the more extreme comments being that they are throwing away the good work they've done getting to where they are, and that they simply haven't taken 'rapidgate' as seriously as they should..

I've got a big soft spot for Nissan and the Leaf helping to push EV's forward, I hope they don't muck it up now.

• gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 13 January 2019 at 6:12PM
    Herzlos wrote: »

Presumably, with a drain level like that the car is still doing something even when not in use, do I wonder if there's scope for a hibernate mode.

The battery itself doesn't 'loss' any charge, in the event of a major impact the battery connectors automatically 'dislodge' to stop possibility of thermal run away. There are reports of 'written off' Tesla battery packs been found to have pretty much exactly the same state of charge as at the time of the crash 6 months+ after the event when someone 'revives" the battery.

When just left 'off' normally the car really isnt off, data is constantly been sent to Tesla and downloaded - I've had full software updates appear on the car with no WiFi connection which means the car is doing itself via internal mobile data. Equally everytime you check the mobile App the car 'wakes up', finally there is some suggestion the battery thermal management is constantly monitoring the car.

Its not unusual to see 2-5% drops in battery capacity when left overnight, but if you turn off mobile data, turn on energy save, don't check the App the energy drain is no where near as bad. When I leave ours at the airport car park on holiday I turn all the features off, I did a test a while ago, in 10days the battery state of charge dropped by only 2% which is fine. As long as you don't park up with 10% left its not an issue.

The problem with running it down to 0% is there is a chance your end up also draining the 12V battery (which is charged by the main battery) leaving no energy for the BMS to run if the 12V is flat - These battery packs cannot just be 'plugged' in without proper management, thats how thermal run away happens and fires start. In reality if the car dies due no charge the saftest thing to do is to do total shut down ASAP and get towed to a charger that day/night.

If your leaving it 2 months you can manually disconnect the main traction battery which will stop all energy drain but I woudlnt advise doing that for a car with an intact warranty!! - Your need dealer level software to reboot the car i think, though certain third parties in the US can do this, and maybe one chap in the UK.

Got to Heathrow with 56% charge.
    36705544130_faeb6b7006_z_d.jpg

10 days later 54% charge.

37302391195_f40963eec0_z_d.jpg
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Great post gzoom.
    Can I ask you what you would consider, the least amount of money, an ice to Tesla convert, would need, including home charging to get on the road in the UK?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback