Hows my broadband speed please..?

ferry
ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Knowing nothing about uploads/downloads/sideloads blah blah blah ..can a more clued up clever person please tell me if my broadband speed seems ok?
If it matters I have Sky BB unlimited and the test was done in my home wifi using my phone
313469405.jpg

Thanks
:j

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    That's fine , if you logged in to the sky hub it will show your actual connection speed

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/broadband-speeds-explained
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Hi Ferry,

It looks like you are on the lower fibre package, the up to 40MB down and 10MB up.
    Those speeds are very good on that package, as you can see you practically get the maximum.

I have roughly the same as you, and it's possible for three of us to watch different things at the same time on Netflix with no problems. If I am at my parents house I watch plex TV/films streamed from my house with no problems using the 10MB up.

Unless you have a lot of people accessing the internet at home, I think you should be pleased/satisfied with the speed you've got.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    This is my speed test rsult using wifi.

Funny thing is I used to be on a 1 Mbps Free connection from the same ISP and I don't see any difference between then and now when surfing, youtubing, watching live sport or iPlayer etc.
    Also as now back then could watch stuff over three outlets or more at the same time with no buffering on any.

7972127604.png
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Peter999 wrote: »
    It looks like you are on the lower fibre package, the up to 40MB down and 10MB up. Those speeds are very good on that package, as you can see you practically get the maximum.

Don't know if you are already aware but Sky are upgrading their BB area by area so that you'll eventually be on their Max Fibre with no change to your contract.

The speed you actually get will still be dependant on distance to the cabinet of course.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/10/sky-broadband-customers-to-get-free-speed-upgrades/
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    slinga wrote: »
    This is my speed test rsult using wifi.

Funny thing is I used to be on a 1 Mbps Free connection from the same ISP and I don't see any difference between then and now when surfing, youtubing, watching live sport or iPlayer etc.
    Also as now back then could watch stuff over three outlets or more at the same time with no buffering on any.

7972127604.png
    Pretty much impossible to stream HD videos, or even videos of acceptable quality, with 1 Mbps.
    If you can't see the difference between a 1 Mbps connection and a 250 Mbps connection, then there's something wrong :D
  • slinga
    arciere wrote: »
    Pretty much impossible to stream HD videos, or even videos of acceptable quality, with 1 Mbps.
    If you can't see the difference between a 1 Mbps connection and a 250 Mbps connection, then there's something wrong :D
    So you've done a comparison then?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Lots have. Here's what Netflix says:

Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.
    • 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
    • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
    • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
    • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
    • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

And the BBC:
    BBC iPlayer programmes stream at up to 5 Mbps or megabits (5000 kbps), depending on the quality. Our standard quality version is 1.5 Mbps (1500 kbps).

You’ll actually need a little more bandwidth than this to watch programmes on BBC iPlayer.

I had a 2Mbit connection at my previous home. Since moving I have a 50Mbit connection. The difference is very noticeable.
  • slinga
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    Lots have. Here's what Netflix says:

Below are the internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.
    • 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
    • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
    • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
    • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
    • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

And the BBC:

I had a 2Mbit connection at my previous home. Since moving I have a 50Mbit connection. The difference is very noticeable.
    I must have been really lucky with my 1 Mbps connection speed.:j
    Never watch Netflix though.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ah! So the video media you were watching used to be the type which would take a while to start playing as it buffered most of the content before playing? ;)
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No need to compare, just a math exercise, 1 Mbps is simply not enough to stream any kind of videos at an acceptable quality.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure