MSE News: BT to hike broadband and call prices and charge TV customers for BT Sport

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Vazzy64 wrote: »
    Hi, Thank you! Yes I took out both at the same time
    Then yes, you are able to move to another provider for a cheaper deal, or haggle with BT for a better price for phone and broadband. Up to you. Also remember to add caller display for free if you stay.
    As i said before BT are saying they will put up the price of broadband in March, they are allowed to put up the price mid contract, but you do not have to accept it. Because you took out phone and broadband together you can cancel both even though they are only putting up the price of broadband.
  • Hi all,

So due to the dire service we decided to switch to another provider as it should now be penalty free to do so ?

Basically the first email from BT stated they would charge us for the months left on our contract at a reduced rate but all in all would tot up to around £70.

Yesterday my other half being the account holder called them and was given the runaround as always, I had printed out some of the terms and conditions info from earlier in this thread for her to quote to them if any issues and so she did, They were uninterested and informed her she would be charged a disconnection fee also as she had said she was going to try virgin as we believe the issue with our line is related to the woefully overloaded system in operation between the property and the cabinet in the street and thus any other ISP would use essentially another flavour of the same line.

So a disconnection fee of £31 because your not going to another openreach provider? cant say I've heard of this before and to me at least seems very unreasonable ?

when on the phone they stated if we wanted to argue anything we had to wait till we had been disconnected and had our final bill before they would even debate any of the charges ....

shoddy is not the word

Where to go from here ?

Many thanks
  • Orange_wasps
    Orange_wasps Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2017 at 12:06PM
    I have just got off the phone with BT. I told them I wanted to end my contract consequent to the price hike (paid line rent up front in December, received my £100 credit card, and pay £20 per month for unlimited ADSL broadband). After some haggling I now have unlimited ADSL broadband for £5 per month for 12 months starting 08 February 2017. Result!!
  • Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    I phoned BT this morning as we are in the middle of our contract and to keep the price the same as our current contract they wanted me to agree to a 24 month contract starting from today. On joining BT we had tremendous hassles with their call centre not being able to resolve an issue on billing so this is a good excuse to move on and find a better deal elsewhere.
    I am actually wondering what is the point of agreeing to a contract if they are going to hike up their prices anyway?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    That statement on the main MSE page about these increases:

Here's how prices are increasing (BT says the price of broadband for those on introductory/promotional deals won't change):

Really? I'm on a promotional/introductory year at £10.99pm for the unlimited Infinity 1, but the pricecheck link (useful that - thanks!) tells me it's going up by £2.50pm anyway.

Is that what people are finding generally?
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Doc_N wrote: »
    That statement on the main MSE page about these increases:

Here's how prices are increasing (BT says the price of broadband for those on introductory/promotional deals won't change):

I'm paying £10.99 currently for the broadband component, and been advised that this is increasing by £2.50, along with an extra £3.50 for BT Sports.
  • Hoping for some advice.

Last week I received a letter from BT yo say they will be increasing my phone & broadband charges. The letter clearly states I can leave my contract early without charge so long as I give them 14 days notice if Im transferring to another provider. Having had nothing but issues with them since the start the increase was the final straw so I decided to leave. I gave them the required notice and arranged for a new provider.

However, its not been so straightforward. Following day I received an email from BT telling me I need to pay them £149 to leave early. I called them and was told it was a computer error and I would not be charged.

Ive done exactly what they say, given the requested notice period, been told I wont be charged but still I receive further letters, emails and texts to say I will be charged. Talking to them is painful as they dont seem to know whats going on. Last person I spoke to said if Im charged I can request a refund, but I cannot afford to be charged for something I dont owe regardless of whether its refunded (no timescale for that refund was given).

So what advice do you guys have on dealing with this? Im wishing Id never returned to BT after my last experience 8 years ago but Id hoped they had changed, big mistake!
  • sarahg4242 wrote: »
    Hoping for some advice.

Last week I received a letter from BT yo say they will be increasing my phone & broadband charges. The letter clearly states I can leave my contract early without charge so long as I give them 14 days notice if Im transferring to another provider. Having had nothing but issues with them since the start the increase was the final straw so I decided to leave. I gave them the required notice and arranged for a new provider.

However, its not been so straightforward. Following day I received an email from BT telling me I need to pay them £149 to leave early. I called them and was told it was a computer error and I would not be charged.

Ive done exactly what they say, given the requested notice period, been told I wont be charged but still I receive further letters, emails and texts to say I will be charged. Talking to them is painful as they dont seem to know whats going on. Last person I spoke to said if Im charged I can request a refund, but I cannot afford to be charged for something I dont owe regardless of whether its refunded (no timescale for that refund was given).

So what advice do you guys have on dealing with this? Im wishing Id never returned to BT after my last experience 8 years ago but Id hoped they had changed, big mistake!
    If it's direct debit details they hold I'd be awfully tempted to cancel it at the bank, if there's anything outstanding owed just pay it off on a debit card.
  • I called BT and when they explained that the line rental saver would be lost I asked to make it a complaint. I'll find out if it is possible to have it refunded because I feel that they're increasing prices and anyone who took the saver is disadvantaged. I don't believe that line rental and broadband are easily separated and I don't believe I could shop around for a new broadband while my line rental was with BT.
  • Must admit I am tempted to cancel the direct debit. Having had issues with them in the past when they tried to bill me £360 for a fault at their exchange I dont trust them with this one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure