PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Comments

• I understand the reasons behind this but what is the difference between every other claimant who had no idea they had ever been sold PPI. and the millions spent on advertising telling us we should make a claim. Was it only MBNA who sent out a letter that could have been mistaken for Junk mail.On that basis everyone's claim should have timed out as everyone must have heard about PPI by now
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 April 2018 at 8:14AM
    I understand the reasons behind this but what is the difference between every other claimant who had no idea they had ever been sold PPI. and the millions spent on advertising telling us we should make a claim.

I believe that the FOS has said that generic advertising about PPI isn't enough to trigger the 3 year rule, banks specifically writing to you saying you had it and can complain is.
    Was it only MBNA who sent out a letter that could have been mistaken for Junk mail.On that basis everyone's claim should have timed out as everyone must have heard about PPI by now

No, every bank has been doing it where they have records, it's the same with packaged accounts, banks have been sending letters explaining the account benefits for a number of years now as well to allow them to time bar future complaints and yes, many complaints are now being time barred where the bank can prove they sent the invitation letter - the deadline next year will likely only affect a small number of people who slipped through the net. The letters will not be junk mail (they will be marked something like "this is not a circular") and the banks have to be allowed to assume people read letters, not throw them away unopened or these things would never end if people could simply say they never saw the letter.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I understand the reasons behind this but what is the difference between every other claimant who had no idea they had ever been sold PPI. and the millions spent on advertising telling us we should make a claim. Was it only MBNA who sent out a letter that could have been mistaken for Junk mail.On that basis everyone's claim should have timed out as everyone must have heard about PPI by now

The TV adverts and general word of mouth are not enough to trigger the timebar. Timebars are triggered using a specific event that is personal to you.

MBNA, amongst a number of others, sent out CCLs that allows them to timebar after 3 years. This was back before an end to PPI complaints was agreed. It was a risk to the companies that did it as it would increase complaints in that three year period but allow them to put an end to it after three years.

The CCL had a defined format (as set by the regulator). So, if you mistook it for junk mail then that would be your fault.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • H&C
    H&C Posts: 8 Forumite
    Quite why people feel the need to forfeit monies to claims management companies is beyond me. Brew yourself a cuppa, sit down in front of your PC and do all the detective worj yourself. It is very rewarding!

No matter what politicians say about "hard working families"...humans are lazy. And the normal reply when told "you can do it yourself" is the acronym is CBA (can't be asked). People want money for nothing, when all they have to do is a little work. Why do coffee shops, restaurants, tumble-dryers, dish washers, etc etc exist? Because people CBA...and claiming back PPI is no different.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    H&C wrote: »
    No matter what politicians say about "hard working families"...humans are lazy. And the normal reply when told "you can do it yourself" is the acronym is CBA (can't be asked). People want money for nothing, when all they have to do is a little work. Why do coffee shops, restaurants, tumble-dryers, dish washers, etc etc exist? Because people CBA...and claiming back PPI is no different.

The problem is that people don't realise they have to do it all themselves anyway and the CMC just post off the form
  • I filled out an online form for a BHS card and Debenhams card I had which Santander confirmed I paid PPI. I got a letter on Saturday asking me to confirm what sick pay I would have received as the policy for my PPI I would not have been able to claim on if I got money from my employer. I did not choose to take out PPI on either of these cards neither was a PPI opt out option given to me. Has anyone else had the same experience and did you get any success?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I did not choose to take out PPI on either of these cards
    If that was the case, why are you only now complaining about it?
  • Tubbss
    Tubbss Posts: 444
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I had 2 successful claims a few years ago for credit cards opened in the mid 90's - I remembered having PPI on these due to the monthly statements - both claims were paid out quickly.

2 weeks ago I filled in the PPI enquiry form with Barclays and halifax, both responded quickly and both provided info on PPI policies I has on loans with each - also in the 90's. Last Friday I filled in the onlie PPI complaint form with Barclays - On Monday 30th April I had a SMS to say the claim was valid and a refund on its way.

Today I received a cheque for £3198.49. From querie to payout in 13 days!
  • In January this year I finally plucked up courage to attempt to retrieve the four years' worth of PPI I was mis-sold by NatWest on my first mortgage over 14 years ago. Today a cheque for £2,007 landed on my doormat.
    As warned by the information on MSE, I was initially knocked back by NatWest/RBS due to missing paperwork (in fact I don't ever recall receiving a separate PPI agreement) but I had held onto every single bank statement marking the PPI going out of my account. I scanned the lot and attached it to my Ombudsman complaint, which was upheld within a record three weeks. NatWest hung out for the whole 56 days before releasing the cheque. The initial amount was more than doubled by the accrued statutory interest.
    Fantastic service from the Ombudsman, and thanks also to the MSE site for encouraging so many of us to take on the greedy banks. It is most satisfying to have become part of this great people fights back movement.
    I've already nagged several colleagues and friends into cracking on with their own PPI claims.
    Thank you :money:
  • I filled out an online form for a BHS card and Debenhams card I had which Santander confirmed I paid PPI. I got a letter on Saturday asking me to confirm what sick pay I would have received as the policy for my PPI I would not have been able to claim on if I got money from my employer. I did not choose to take out PPI on either of these cards neither was a PPI opt out option given to me. Has anyone else had the same experience and did you get any success?

I had the same experience with Santander, I worked for the NHS at the time I was paying PPI, I was able to prove that I would have received sick pay and the length of time it would last and my eligibility. I suggest you find your contract of employment or contact the employer about employee benefits you would have been eligible for at that time.

I did my claim through Resolver and included all the details in my initial claim. They acknowledged the claim almost immediately and I received a refund within eight weeks.

All the best.
    Debt March 2018 £27,596:eek: DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2023:T:T:T Debt July 2020 £14,700 Debt July 2021 £9300
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback