I'm so worn out not being able to beat my eating issues

Options

Comments

• ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been exactly like you and can still slip back at weak moments, e.g. Easter brought on a chocfest. Like others, I never buy food I would be tempted to binge on, such as biscuits, crisps etc. Petrol stations can be a problem, so if tempted, I just remind myself that I will be so annoyed with myself if I give in and that usually works. I do the 5:2 diet permanently now (holidays aside) and have got pretty disciplined with it, but weekends I do relax and buy the odd cake, although not chocolate very often. A weekend treat works for me, and doesn't seem to interfere with keeping the weight off in the long run.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    I think I could help . I have suffered binge eating and anorexia for 20 years on and off I am now in remission. I did Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and its magic.

Contact BEAT or a CBT consellor. You wont beat this illness without help. Trust me
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alcohol you can totally stop . . I get it you mean you can stop alcohol but need food to live, but the way I see it is that alcohol is a drink and you need to drink to live, you just have to cut alcohol . . . so when people say but you need food to live, sure, but you don't need junk food to live

I'd have one thing per day as a treat, so you're not totally giving it all up. Is there another garage you can fill the car at? I do 5 good days then two not great, as I have to have some to cope, and it works for me.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your body gets used to the junk and even craves it. Once you break that cycle of "eat junk/crave junk" it gets MUCH easier. Usually it takes a few weeks for me.
    Totally agree with this. Sugar IS incredibly addictive mentally and has a way of making you think that your craving is hunger when it isn't at all! I have a very sweet tooth, always have, so beating the craving has always part of my life. Like you, I find the first week hard as I feel like I am starving if I don't have my sugar fix, but it's amazing how this disappear after about 3 weeks and I can go from being obsessed with the cakes sitting in the office kitchen call me to eat them, to standing there whilst the kettle boils, staring at them and thinking that I really don't want them.
    I can really relate to what Ilona says in that if I buy the supermarket offers ie 4 mars for a pound I won't have one a day I'll scoff the lot.
    So you do buy rubbish food at the supermarket. This definitely need to stop, offer or not. As for the stopping at the garage, could you only stop at those where you can pay at the pump so you avoid going in, standing in the queue tantalised by all the colourful treats.

Also, there are few tricks to fight it. Mine is sugar free lollies. They don't taste fantastic, but they help with the evening desperate cravings. It takes 10 minutes or so to go through one rather than less than 1 for a chocolate bar, and they have no calories. It does it for me until I reach that point when the craving is sorted.

I'm back at it again, once again it creeped in slowly, with a number of afternoon invites at friends who bake cakes for the occasion, so you can't really say no, birthdays at work, and of course the latest, Easter. I made it clear I didn't want any eggs, but once again, it fell on death ears. They are now in the bin. So 4 days in and already starting to feel a bit better. By end of next week, I should be able to look at a treat and not feel like I am being mentally tortured by not picking one up!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks again everyone there are some great tips there, I like the idea of the sugar free lollies.

Today I have planned myself to try again , I have filled the car with petrol so I don't need to go into the garage.

I have been to the supermarket and bought healthy food, no junk. I did buy some sugar free jellies with raspberries deserts to stave off the cravings .

Lastly I have put my wallet into the barn out of the way so next week I will make my own lunch and avoid the sandwich lady .

I have to say I feel silly not being able to control this , I mean it's simple right , don't eat chocolate .
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    Thanks again everyone there are some great tips there, I like the idea of the sugar free lollies.

Today I have planned myself to try again , I have filled the car with petrol so I don't need to go into the garage.

I have been to the supermarket and bought healthy food, no junk. I did buy some sugar free jellies with raspberries deserts to stave off the cravings .

Lastly I have put my wallet into the barn out of the way so next week I will make my own lunch and avoid the sandwich lady .

I have to say I feel silly not being able to control this , I mean it's simple right , don't eat chocolate .
    Actually, it's not about the chocolate as chocolate in the right form is good for you. :)

People binge and crave mainly because their bodies are not receiving the right nutrients to begin with and it's a complex issue.
    The more your body is deprived, the more harm to the brain, the more anxiety/depression, the more binging and craving, the more eating, the worse things get.

Start out by healing yourself. Find a very good quality omega 3 supplement (try to get it in triglyceride form), This is essential to brain health and is missing from our Western diets.
    Also get some vitamin D (with K2) and in as near natural form as possible. Try to avoid synthetic vitamins.

Then, eat more healthy fat. Butter, lard, coconut oil, olive oil etc. Fat does not make us fat. Carbs do. The body needs fat to work properly, especially the brain. Fat keeps cravings at bay and also helps you to stay feeling full.

Once you have those basics down, increase the healthy foods. Fresh veggies, good quality meats and fish, some fruit, nuts, seeds etc Probiotic yoghurts would be a good idea too.
    Try to avoid processed foods, manufactured cooking oil (watch labels on olive oil as so many olive oils now have cooking oils added to them!! Why??? Who the hell knows??)
    and soy products.

You will probably find that you will naturally give up sugary foods and will limit carbs and weight will fall.
    It might not fall very fast, but you will know you are very healthy in the process.
  • DBlenks90
    DBlenks90 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    Be sure you have in stock enough food you like and don't feel bad about eating. It is much easier to think positively (I will eat more raspberries) than just negatively (no biscuits).

Good point. I think the better way to approach it is to stock the right things in your house. Try to buy fresh stuff that goes bad, like vegetables, fruits, etc.

I find if I stick to foods that go bad, I'm probably eating healthier overall.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The only way for me is to remove temptation too. Thats why i am still overweight. If i had to shop for myself it wouldnt be such a problem.
  • professor~yaffle
    Options
    Davina McCall did a book called 5 weeks to sugar free. Might be worth a look? She managed to cut out sugar, and said it was the hardest thing she'd ever had to give up. (Which, given her history is saying something!) Sugar really is addictive.
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    Davina McCall did a book called 5 weeks to sugar free. Might be worth a look? She managed to cut out sugar, and said it was the hardest thing she'd ever had to give up. (Which, given her history is saying something!) Sugar really is addictive.
    It is.
    I loved my sugary treats and had sugar in my teas and coffees.
    I found it hard to give up sugar in my drinks. They just didn't taste right at all. So I stopped drinking them for a few weeks whilst I put all the other things into practice then went back to them.
    Now I can drink black coffee no sugar no problem and I never thought I'd do that.

The secret I think is to remove any sugar and refined carbs from the diet (they just turn to sugar in the body anyway) and spend a few weeks getting the sugar out of the system. Always remember to replace with fat though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure