Young, dumb and in debt

Options
palgrave
palgrave Posts: 95 Forumite
I can't begin to tell you the number of young couples I've come across, not on the property ladder but renting, relatively low incomes yet have a PCP/car finance for some fancy new wheels.
My niece who is 21 years old rents with her partner (22 y.o) and has a brand new Audi A3 on finance. She works in retail with an annual salary of £14k while her partner works as a hotel receptionist with an annual salary of £17k. They rent a studio flat that probably takes up more than half of their monthly combined salary. What really annoys me is that they both have the option of moving in with their parents who live close by and are more than ademrnt on them doing so, in order for them to save for a flat deposit but they refuse. They both want to be"independent" yet live on credit cards buying fancy new clothes, Virgin active gym membership and and now the flash new car. I told my niece to save for a flat deposit rather than splashing out for a new Audi and putting them both under debt but she just didn't listen. I realise I'm ranting but what can I really do now???

Comments

• GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Options
    What's your point?

What other people do with their money, is their problem, not yours. Stop interfering.
  • palgrave
    palgrave Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    I should mention I loaned my niece £15k for her wedding but seems like I won't see that money again.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    palgrave wrote: »
    I can't begin to tell you the number of young couples I've come across, not on the property ladder but renting, relatively low incomes yet have a PCP/car finance for some fancy new wheels.
    My niece who is 21 years old rents with her partner (22 y.o) and has a brand new Audi A3 on finance. She works in retail with an annual salary of £14k while her partner works as a hotel receptionist with an annual salary of £17k. They rent a studio flat that probably takes up more than half of their monthly combined salary. What really annoys me is that they both have the option of moving in with their parents who live close by and are more than ademrnt on them doing so, in order for them to save for a flat deposit but they refuse. They both want to be"independent" yet live on credit cards buying fancy new clothes, Virgin active gym membership and and now the flash new car. I told my niece to save for a flat deposit rather than splashing out for a new Audi and putting them both under debt but she just didn't listen. I realise I'm ranting but what can I really do now???

Nothing you can do, and nothing to do with you, frankly.

They have to "learn" for themselves.

Also, do you really expect them to move in with their parents??? I would imagine they would rather !!!! on their hands and clap.

And why would she want to save for a flat deposit? She probably at her age doesnt know even what she wants to do OR where she wants to live, and with Brexit coming up, is buying now the wisest thing to do?

In fact there would be a school of thought that says buying ISNT the wisest thing to do - some of us (i am sure yourself included) remember the last property bubble bursting and the impact of that to home owners, and theres a growing belief that another burst is on its way.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 April 2017 at 8:47AM
    Options
    I should mention I loaned my niece £15k for her wedding but seems like I won't see that money again.

How dumb was that?

Never lend friends or family money.

And by lending her a ridiculous amount of money for a "dream wedding" surely you were facilitating and encouraging her credit lifestyle? Surely encouraging her to have a wedding within her means would have been the sensible thing if you're really concerned about her credit lifestyle?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

So maybe age and dumbness aren't connected.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My niece who is 21 years old rents with her partner (22 y.o) and has a brand new Audi A3 on finance.

Surely that should be husband? Or has she spunked your £15k and moved on already?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is this really the right place for this thread?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Is this real?

I've edited your post to reflect what you probably meant to ask. ;):D
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    OP, you really shouldn't beat yourself up about it. You can't help being young but you should stop lending significant sums of money to people to avoid being in debt.
  • davidwood123
    Options
    Their decision.

What is even more stupid is parents buying new drivers brand new cars. In fact, parents funding their adult children in general.

They aren't doing them any favours.

Teach them a valuable life lesson....if they want something, work for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure