Consequences of switching: Smart meters

thor
thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I had a smart meter installed with npower last year but will most likely be switching suppliers soon. I am aware that may mean(in all cases?) that the meter becomes dumb but what functions will I lose? From what I have read, remote readings will end and the remote display will stop working. Is that about it? Also should I switch back to npower later on will the smart meter become fully functional again?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The in house display may still show kWh / unit use but not £, 50/50 chance of it continuing working. The meter will remain dumb if you return to the original supplier.
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thor wrote: »
    I had a smart meter installed with npower last year but will most likely be switching suppliers soon. I am aware that may mean(in all cases?) that the meter becomes dumb but what functions will I lose? From what I have read, remote readings will end and the remote display will stop working. Is that about it? Also should I switch back to npower later on will the smart meter become fully functional again?

Hi Thor,

Please contact us using the details on our profile page with your account number so we can help with your smart meter query.

Thanks

Jen :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • Last year I had a smart meter fitted by British Gas. I have now switched to E.ON and find they have no access to my smart meter so I have to go back to reading the meters and emailing them the readings. E.ON tell me they are working on the compatibility situation.
    But honestly, this is not smart, it's pathetic!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Last year I had a smart meter fitted by British Gas. I have now switched to E.ON and find they have no access to my smart meter so I have to go back to reading the meters and emailing them the readings. E.ON tell me they are working on the compatibility situation.

All foundation meters are largely supplier dependent: blame the Govt, not the suppliers. There is an ongoing consultation to orphan these meters on to the new Data Communications Company infrastructure by 2020.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Last year I had a smart meter fitted by British Gas. I have now switched to E.ON and find they have no access to my smart meter so I have to go back to reading the meters and emailing them the readings. E.ON tell me they are working on the compatibility situation.

The 'smart' bit is how the meters can be used to disconnect your supply without the need for anyone to come to your home... 'smart' for the companies, not for the consumer ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny wrote: »
    The 'smart' bit is how the meters can be used to disconnect your supply without the need for anyone to come to your home... 'smart' for the companies, not for the consumer ;)

It'd odd that you have only focused on that aspect of smart meters.
    Honest? Probably......sort of.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    EachPenny wrote: »

You obviously dont think much of them then. IMO they are a great idea that's been totally b@@@d up by the government. Had they been introduced properly in a co-ordinated way, rather than letting each supplier have a play then we'd be a lot further on.

They would help people manage their bills better, hopefully reduce the amount of energy that's beeing stolen and be transferable between companies.

The idea that they can be shut off remotely isn't really all that different from a meter shutting down if you dont put any money into it it and why should the rest of us keep subsidising those that won't pay their bills - I can't drive my car if I don't pay to put fuel in, likewise I can't smoke or drink unless I pay so why should gas or leccy be any different
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It'd odd that you have only focused on that aspect of smart meters.

Odd in what sense?

Consumers are being made to pay for Smart meters sold on the basis it will 'save' them money and give them accurate bills. How loudly are the utility companies telling us that they can also permit remote disconnection?

Is it 'odd' to add that point to this conversation? Are we not permitted to mention the 'd' word?
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    matelodave wrote: »
    The idea that they can be shut off remotely isn't really all that different from a meter shutting down if you dont put any money into it it and why should the rest of us keep subsidising those that won't pay their bills - I can't drive my car if I don't pay to put fuel in, likewise I can't smoke or drink unless I pay so why should gas or leccy be any different

For PPM customers that is true, except that if you don't top up your meter and run out then you can only blame yourself.

Credit meter customers will be used to the idea that if you forget to make a payment then there are several steps where your forgetfulness can be dealt with before someone knocks on the door to pull the fuse.

With a smart meter it may be the case that the first you know there is an issue is when you get home and the lights don't come on.

This forum is also full of cases where the utility companies have managed to make a complete hash of simple things - how confident are you that their systems won't disconnect people in error?

And any technology with a communication link somewhere has the potential for someone to go in and do something unpleasant - how robust is the security to prevent someone hacking the system and shutting off the power to someone's home?

If it isn't being widely advertised that remote disconnection is an available facility then how can there be a reasoned discussion about the security implications?

Personally I think Smart meters have great potential for encouraging people to use power at off-peak times, reducing peak demand and reducing the obscene amount currently being spent on providing reserve capacity.

What bugs me is the rush to technology which hasn't been fully developed, with 'hidden' features, which hasn't yet been put to use actually delivering the real potential benefits for consumers. Who are the winners so far?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport