Why do people buy expensive cars?

Options

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Or when your at the petrol station putting £70 worth of fuel into your daily barge and some guy rolls up in a £80'000 car, putting only the bare minimum fuel into it (about £3 at most places).... Says a lot really.

I try & fill up in Tesco to get points.
    Sometimes I get caught out & I need to put £5 or £10 in to get me to work the next morning & past a Tesco to fill up.
    I only get 30mpg in an SUV, so it's nice to get something back.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Well I fill up every 2-3 weeks (usually when at 1/8 - 1/4 tank) , so average per month I tend to spend a lot more time at the pump versus queuing for said pump. I see a lot of cars come and go, usually £10-£20 worth of fuel, but generally the more extravagant the car, the less fuel they put in, AND generally speaking if said car is more than a year or so old, it'll be wearing cheap/nasty tyres too.

We have an old saying here in the Midlands, "kippers and curtains", which roughly means they're hiding the fact they can't afford to eat, behind fancy curtains.

:rotfl:
    I fill to the brim as well, two or three times a month :(
    Mine is well over a year old now - I have 4x4 continentals, I always get good tyres, they are my contact with the road.
  • palgrave
    palgrave Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    What do you define as expensive? Neighbour just got a 2017 plate Mercedes CLA diesel. It looks good, and sporty. Not sure but neighbour must have spent a good £25k on that
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    palgrave wrote: »
    What do you define as expensive? Neighbour just got a 2017 plate Mercedes CLA diesel. It looks good, and sporty. Not sure but neighbour must have spent a good £25k on that

Its all relative isnt it?

£25K on a car is a fortune if you're on minimum wage.

If you're on £100K pa its quite a minor amount for a car.

And it depends on the car too. £25K on a car thats going to be worth half that in a couple of years needs some careful thought.

£25K on a car thats still going to be worth £25K in 2 years time, then not so much.

I'd a friend who ran M3s for quite some years. He would buy them at £24K, run them a year and sell them at £22K. If you bought a £6K Focus from a dealer it might be worth £4K in a year, so whats the difference?

Theres also quite a few people over on Pistonheads running heavy duty Porsches. If you'd bought something like a Cayman GT3 @ maybe £65K when they came out a year ago, you could get £85K for it now.... :eek:
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    Why the snobbery with buying a car on finance?

I bought my car brand new on finance (not PCP, just regular ordinary repayments - so at the end of the term it was paid off).

It's all paid for now, so whether I'd paid upfront or paid my payments, it's all bought & paid for now.

No snobbery, read the context of the quote. Rented house rented car.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    I've an S40 2.5T T5 at the minute! Great car.

Yep - people really underestimate Volvos - if only I had a pound for each of the 'boy racers' that used to sneer and pull into the outside lane at red lights... only to be shocked when an 'old man's car' beat them away.

Life's too short to drive boring cars if you are an enthusiast. We don't smoke, do drugs or drink expensive wine - fast cars are our vice :D.
    :hello:
  • palgrave
    palgrave Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Andy, what's wrong with renting a house? Depending on your circumstances, renting can be far more beneficial to someone. In fact, look at Germany's housing market. Most people there rent.

I'm happy there are people out there buying nice, expensive big engined luxury cars - otherwise people like me can't buy them 10 years later at bargain prices! I would hate it if all car manufactures only made eco boxes that will be bland.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    palgrave wrote: »
    Andy, what's wrong with renting a house? Depending on your circumstances, renting can be far more beneficial to someone. In fact, look at Germany's housing market. Most people there rent.

I'm happy there are people out there buying nice, expensive big engined luxury cars - otherwise people like me can't buy them 10 years later at bargain prices! I would hate it if all car manufactures only made eco boxes that will be bland.

Do keep up, I don't know why you're using two logins on one thread.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I go to the gym after work some evenings. I go on a £150 bike I got off eBay. I fly past the traffic and it takes me about 10 minutes where a car would take an hour. I sit in the sauna and the macho men are discussing their motors. They often then complain about the traffic. I always wonder whether to advise them of the superiority of the bicycle. I have always decided against it and keep my mouth shut. I don't think macho man can cope with any criticism of his MOTOR.
  • joeblags
    joeblags Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    are you scared of telling them incase they gang up and bug*ger you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure