Any positive stories changing from DLA to PIP?

Options

Comments

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Right, so I was right then. You only get a home visit if your GP believes that you cannot leave your home for any reason(mental/physical difficulties).
    Then I wonder how people manage to get help to fill in the forms - presumably the CAB or other agency also makes home visits?

We had a home visit from a local disability charity to complete the forms. For the assessment someone from the charity came to the house to collect the person being assessed for PIP. There is help available but you might need to search for it.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    We had a home visit from a local disability charity to complete the forms. For the assessment someone from the charity came to the house to collect the person being assessed for PIP. There is help available but you might need to search for it.

Back in 2009 my wife wanted to claim Attendance Allowance (65) I got in touch with a charity http://www.cropkent.org.uk/about-us/
    who helped to fill out the claim form.
    She was refused so off to appeal. I told the charity that my wife would not go to the appeal as she felt far too nervous. Anyhow I went along with the reps from the charity. It was like a slaughterhouse. I answered all of the panel's questions but half way through the judge asked me who had filled out the claim form. I said I had done (not true) because it was clearly obvious that it contained no relevant information - just ticks in boxes, and didn't want to embarrass the charity reps.
    All through the appeal hearing the reps said nothing.
    Obviously the judge threw out the appeal.
    ,Within days of that appeal I approached AgeUK for help with a new claim. It sailed through with no problems and my wife received the day and night award rate.

It goes to prove how getting the right advisors can make a difference.
  • legggyloo
    Options
    With regards to a home visit, my daughter is able-bodied, works full time but has hearing impairment. She is having a home visit next week and no, she never requested it, it was arranged by DWP and the date was sent to her in a letter.

Has anyone else had success in getting PIPs for deafness ?
  • Crazycollielady
    Options
    Legggyloo - I have ushers syndrome which is sensineural hearing loss from birth and later retinitis pigmentosa which is degenerative damage to the retinas. I'm not sure what your daughter would get for being deaf On its own - I know how hard a struggle it is even with hearing aids and being outside in busy places and even communication can be difficult but from a pip point of view I couldn't say - I was surprised to be awarded pip ( new first time claim last June) as I didn't know if they would award deafblind amd no face to face assessment

That's not to say your daughter won't get anything but I honestly do not know - I can say years ago I tried a couple of times to claim dla for being deaf when I was alot younger and was turned down both times
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    legggyloo wrote: »
    With regards to a home visit, my daughter is able-bodied, works full time but has hearing impairment. She is having a home visit next week and no, she never requested it, it was arranged by DWP and the date was sent to her in a letter.

Has anyone else had success in getting PIPs for deafness ?

The simple answer for me is NO.
    I was assessed by the NHS and supplied with two hearing aids a year ago. My hearing was severely restricted in both ears.
    At best I would/should have had points for the aids but didn't. And after doing some reading up on this I realised that as I now have aids it is assessed that I no longer have any difficulties with hearing.
    Much like medication, if you are on pain relief medication it is deemed that pain will no longer be a barrier. Well that is what I have been told, be it right or wrong I don't know.
    Suffice it to say that I did have DLA (High Mobility/Middle Care) but on transfer to PIP I got nothing.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I'm currently in receipt of higher rate mobility DLA with zero for care. My mobility has decreased and my care needs increased over the last few years but I've decided not to tempt fate by asking to be moved to PIP prior to my invitation.

A young friend who has the same disability as me (hemiplegia) but is affected slightly differently (she has mild learning difficulties, I have severe arthritis) has just received higher rate mobility and middle rate care PIP on her transfer from DLA.

I do have some negative stories of genuine claims being rejected and overturned on appeal, and outright lies from assessors, but there are many successful claims, and we do need to hear about these.

For my first DLA claim I kept a slips, trips and falls diary and still do.
    I would recommend diary keeping as a way of monitoring and recording how you are affected by your conditions on a daily basis.

I've read the descriptors very carefully and I believe I should receive some PIP for care.
    It's less common to get higher rate mobility and nothing for care, as I do. On DLA assessment I put myself across as coping really well with restricted mobility, probably too well, hence no care component!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    bspm wrote: »
    [/B][/B]

All wrong information,please ignore

And how on earth do you know me or my circumstances?
    I submitted the audio report etc from the hospital - I was awarded 0 points - fact
    I had been told that if the disability/disappears completely by using aids or with medication then no points can be awarded for that disability (obviously my hearing is as good as normal all of the time provided I use my aids) as per advice given by the DWP PIP help line - fact.
    Now if you want me to prove that I will upload a copy of that audio report on here.
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The simple answer for me is NO.
    I was assessed by the NHS and supplied with two hearing aids a year ago. My hearing was severely restricted in both ears.
    At best I would/should have had points for the aids but didn't. And after doing some reading up on this I realised that as I now have aids it is assessed that I no longer have any difficulties with hearing.
    Much like medication, if you are on pain relief medication it is deemed that pain will no longer be a barrier. Well that is what I have been told, be it right or wrong I don't know.

Suffice it to say that I did have DLA (High Mobility/Middle Care) but on transfer to PIP I got nothing.

It did not highlight the correct passages I said were all wrong. Now it has.
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And how on earth do you know me or my circumstances?
    I submitted the audio report etc from the hospital - I was awarded 0 points - fact
    I had been told that if the disability/disappears completely by using aids or with medication then no points can be awarded for that disability (obviously my hearing is as good as normal all of the time provided I use my aids) as per advice given by the DWP PIP help line - fact.
    Now if you want me to prove that I will upload a copy of that audio report on here.

I was NOT querying your hearing impairment, I do not query ANY of your illnesses, what I was pointing out to posters, posters who do not know you, is that you give total !!!!!!!! answers, you are a very stupid man.

You pointed out that you did not get any points even though you wear hearing aids, giving the impression that that is the reason you did not get any points, when really you should be saying that you did not get any points because you made a balls up of the form, you are a dangerous poster.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just a reminder, this thread is for posting positive stories changing from DLA to PIP.

Any other enquiries, comments, or negative changes from DLA to PIP, may be posted elsewhere on the forums. :)
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills